The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The astronut and her intended didn't fly together, just trained together.

However, does anyone else think it highly unlikely at this point that *someone* hasn't done the nasty in orbit by now?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #17
Elspode

Add attempted murder to the list of offenses...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070206/...ut_arrested_35

Apparently, the investigators came to the same conclusions that I did regarding her other acoutrements.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #18
glatt

Well, of course they did. That's why they were detailed in the police report. What else was in the car that wasn't listed?

According to police. The only use of trash bags is to dispose of body parts.

I keep rope in my trunk. If I'm ever pulled over, the cops will probably say it's because I plan to tie up my victims. But I use it to secure cargo.

The woman is clearly nuts. And she clearly assaulted the victim. And she obviously had plans to confront her in some way. But we don't know exactly what, if anything she had planned. The trash bags could just be there for the dirty diapers.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
The woman is clearly nuts. And she clearly assaulted the victim. And she obviously had plans to confront her in some way. But we don't know exactly what, if anything she had planned. The trash bags could just be there for the dirty diapers.
Although in fairness to the system, that's why she'll get a chance to explain her side to a jury.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #20
glatt

Sure, after the press finishes nailing her coffin closed.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #21
Elspode

C'mon, glatt...if you were a cop, wouldn't you at least see a possibility of something more sinister in the items she had with her? I mean, she drove cross-country, tried to mace the gal, was wearing a disguise, and has already been charged with a couple of different forms of battery *and* kidnapping.

I'm thinking that there's probably some other clinching evidence, here, that simply hasn't been released.

I'm not finding her guilty before trial, but unless the reports are patently falsified, you gotta admit it looks less than circumstantial.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #22
Elspode

Unless...you don't suppose the alleged victim planted all that stuff in order to frame the astronut, do you?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #23
Cloud

it's an insult to Star Trek to connect it with this crazy caca
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #24
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
C'mon, glatt...
I think cops and DAs look to find any evidence they can to nail someone once that person has appeared on their radar as a "bad guy." The press tells us about the police report, and we get one side of the story. Since the criminal system is adversarial, it is by definition a biased point of view.

I think they are reaching with their charges here.

We know:
1. She was in a jealous irrational state. (She was nuts)
2. She went to great lengths to confront this woman
3. She had a non-lethal BB gun with her. Maybe it looked like a real gun.
4. She knocked on the car window.
5. She tried to open the car door.
6. She put pepper spray in the car when the window was rolled down.
7. Her own car had a bunch of random dual use materials in it that could, under the right circumstances with a cooperative victim, be used to commit a murder.

In all those facts I see a mentally unstable woman who may need to be committed.
I also see an assault.
If there's a law about stalking or threatening a person, it has also been violated.

I don't see an attempted carjacking. She didn't want a car.

I don't know the legal definition of "kidnap" but she had no intention of kidnapping this woman in the traditional sense of the word. I don't see attempted kidnapping here.

It's possible she planned to murder the woman, but she had no deadly force with her when she confronted the woman. The closest thing she had was a BB gun that might be confused for a real gun. She did not brandish the BB gun, but she did throw it away before confronted by the police.

We don't know what was going on in this woman's head. I speculate that she was nuts, and went to confront her "rival," with the intent of saying something along the lines of "stay away from my man or I'll fucking kill you, bitch." Maybe she planned to wave the BB gun around to make her point. Clearly, I don't approve of her behavior, but calling it a murder attempt is a stretch.

Sure it's possible. I just don't think it's likely.

The Boston DA is prosecuting the lite brite dudes in Boston as terrorists. It doesn't mean they are terrorists.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #25
Elspode

Whatever the case, the chick certainly put herself in a position to have the book, and the bookshelves, thrown at her.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #26
glatt

She threw her life away. It's sad.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #27
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Either it looked like a real gun, or she was going to rely on the "lodging under the skin and causing a nasty infection!" effect...

Man, what happens when people who are old enough to know better, not too young to care -- and still don't...
Old 02-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #28
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's possible she planned to murder the woman, but she had no deadly force with her when she confronted the woman.
That folding knife with the four inch blade is considered a deadly weapon in most jurisdictions.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #29
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
She threw her life away. It's sad.
The world's oldest man died last November in Cuba. What did he attribute his long life to? He never got married. And so again another example of how "Love kills".

{you won't see me wearing diapers for love}
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #30
Elspode

..a rubber mask and a ball gag, but not diapers. Guy's gotta draw the line somewhere.