The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 PM   #121
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Trump was empowered to humble the know-it-alls. He has been and will continue to be effective at it. Those who can't adapt and so fall by the wayside are acceptable losses. Collateral damage is a figment of the imagination. Don't complain. This is your life now.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #122
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You don't know any more than I do about history, because I wasn't there and you weren't either. You just gathered information from those elite experts, whom I know better than to trust. If it hadn't been for that damn Newton we wouldn't have to worry about shit falling on us.

Is that it?
*grins*

well done.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #123
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thank you.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #124
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think it's worth remembering that there are reasonable and engaging people on both sides of the political divide.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #125
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Donald Trump regularly assailed President Barack Obama for playing golf, then spent the first weekends of his own presidency doing just that. He attacked Obama for using Air Force One to campaign, and did it over the weekend just a month into the job. He mocked Obama for heading out of Washington at taxpayer expense, but appears to have no qualms about doing so himself...
"Donald Trump has zero worry about contradicting himself, because he does it all day long," said Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian who has met with Trump. "He figures he can get away with it because he does it all the time. There is no worry about it. He says one thing and then does another, and his supporters don't hold it against him.
"Trump said last August that if he became president, he wouldn’t have time for golf. "I'm going to be working for you, I'm not going to have time to go play golf," he said at an event in Virginia.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #126
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Trump was empowered to humble the know-it-alls.
Trump only does one thing. Throws shit and lies at the wall. Whatever sticks in any one event becomes his new mantra.

He started as a potential Democratic politician. When his rhetoric created personal grief (especially at that famous correspondent's dinner), he then discovered his rhetoric worked better in the Republican party where others such as Ted Cruz did same - just not as well.

His agenda is to preach whatever makes him better to a core constituency. Does not matter if it is a lie. His constituents don't care what is reality - only emotions.

He should be hated by Christian Evangelicals. But he discovered what sticks to a wall best when preaching to them. It need not be truthful or accurate. Only what makes them feel better.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:49 PM   #127
sexobon

You and your candidate lost to him.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #128
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

hahahahahahhahaaaaa
Old 03-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #129
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm curious, how will President Trump characterize this news about his AG Sessions.

Fake news, or serious leak?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #130
glatt

Is there anyone in Trump's gang that wasn't talking to the Russians during the campaign?

Bill was impeached by Republicans for lying (about sex) under oath in a deposition in a civil case. If that is their standard and where they place the bar, it seems like lying under oath to Congress about dealing with a foreign adversary is a bigger deal.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #131
Mountain Mule
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I'm curious, how will President Trump characterize this news about his AG Sessions.

Fake news, or serious leak?
Response from the Republicans:

Cruz Calls Sessions' Meeting With Russian Ambassador A 'Nothing Burger'
Source: Talking Points Memo

By ALLEGRA KIRKLAND Published MARCH 2, 2017, 9:33 AM EDT

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) on Wednesday called Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ two meetings with the Russian ambassador during the 2016 campaign a “nothing burger,” breaking with several senior Republican leaders.

“What we are seeing is a lot of political theater,” Cruz said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” Cruz Calls Sessions' Meeting With Russian Ambassador A 'Nothing Burger'

Response from the Democrats:

McCaskill Calls For Attorney General Jeff Sessions To Resign

Source: Talking Points Memo

By MATT SHUHAM Published MARCH 2, 2017, 10:14 AM EDT

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) joined several other Democrats in calling for Attorney General Jeff Sessions' resignation Thursday, after the Washington Post reported that Sessions met twice with the Russian ambassador to the United States during the presidential campaign.

Sessions told the Senate Judiciary Committee during his confirmation process in January that he had not met with any Russian during the campaign, though his spokesperson told TPM Thursday that Sessions “met with the ambassador in an official capacity as a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, which is entirely consistent with his testimony.”

McCaskill called for Sessions to resign Thursday, saying in a statement published by NBC's Frank Thorp “it’s clear Attorney General Sessions misled the Senate–the question is, why? I’ve been on the Senate Armed Services Committee for 10 years, and in that time, have had no call from or meeting with, the Russian ambassador. Ever. That’s because ambassadors call members of the Foreign Relations Committee. Attorney General Sessions should resign.”

I loved that well reasoned, thought provoking reply from Cruz on the Right. More proof that a steady diet of Fox is bad for the brain.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #132
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Is there anyone in Trump's gang that wasn't talking to the Russians during the campaign?

Bill was impeached by Republicans for lying (about sex) under oath in a deposition in a civil case. If that is their standard and where they place the bar, it seems like lying under oath to Congress about dealing with a foreign adversary is a bigger deal.
Yeah, but...

Make America Great Again?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #133
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
... Bill was impeached by Republicans for lying (about sex) under oath in a deposition in a civil case. If that is their standard and where they place the bar, it seems like lying under oath to Congress about dealing with a foreign adversary is a bigger deal.
I think you've touched on the difference. Like the old saying - "A thief who steals from a thief is pardoned for one hundred years."

A politician who lies to politicians ... etc.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #134
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

An honest man always backs up this accusations with examples, facts, and numbers. Obama was spying on Trump. Somehow that proves the Russians were not operating in conjunction with the Trump campaign?

Apparently this latest lie (thrown to a wall to see if it will stick) created a major yelling match between Trump and some top administration people.

Nixon got this way in the last days of Watergate. Where is the football?

Never forget what top Nixon people did when Nixon was in denial.

I could not get on Nixon's enemies list. Is it easier to get on The Donald's enemy list?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #135
sexobon

The Donald needs just one person on his list and it isn't you. The only thing the Dems have really got going for them is the Obama legacy. When the Dems gang up on Trump, he doesn't need to fend them all off. He just attacks their base of influence, Obama. It's nothing personal, it's just business politics. The Dems won't wise up, not by the mid-terms, not by the next presidential election. They won't change their MO; because, you can't teach the old donkeys new tricks. Their fiasco with Hillary proved that.