The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-20-2007, 11:10 PM   #46
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
But I did tell my 17 year old that if he ever went to jail, plan on spending at least 24 hours there because I would not come get him out so he can understand that all behavior suffers consequence.
My father told me that there was only one thing he'd never bail me out of jail for: DUI. That did more to keep me from drinkin' and drivin' than anything else. The idea that he'd yank the safety net out for that one offense kept me clear of it.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #47
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
So how do you know that they don't?
Because I would be able to tell if they were on my computer and I have never given them reason to.
duck_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #48
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

But I did tell my 17 year old that if he ever went to jail, plan on spending at least 24 hours there because I would not come get him out so he can understand that all behavior suffers consequence.
My father told me that there was only one thing he'd never bail me out of jail for: DUI. That did more to keep me from drinkin' and drivin' than anything else. The idea that he'd yank the safety net out for that one offense kept me clear of it.

I agree with both of these statements , you screw up you pay .
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #49
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Of course they do. And an obligation to stay involved. My only point is that you gotta give them some room to take responsibility with a parental safety net. Several people from around the planet and from both ends of the political spectrum are in near perfect agreement that you gotta let kids screw up so you can show them how not to and how to own up to it.

I suppose you are going to tell me that you didn't keep a few copies of JUGGS under you bed when you were growing up. Or did your father conduct random, warrentless searches to ferret out such tools of the devil.
Check this out:

http://www.crisisconnectioninc.org/s..._predators.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9878187/

http://safety.com/articles/internet-predators.html

http://www.pcsndreams.com/Pages/News...ves/000115.htm

Lauren Kerr Thomas knew the right words to woo a 15-year-old girl he met in an Internet chat room.
"He was going to be the answer and cure for a 15-year-old's problems," said Riverside police Sgt. J.E. Trego.

Instead, Thomas added problems no 15-year-old should have to face.

He is accused of repeatedly having sex with the girl in hotels in Fairborn and Riverside and at his home in Kinsmon in Trumbull County. He already has been convicted of unlawful sexual conduct charges involving the girl in Montgomery County.

Now he faces kidnapping, rape and unlawful sexual conduct counts in Greene County Common Pleas Court early next year on the Fairborn accusation, and in a Trumbull County court in March or April.
Investigators say Thomas, 45, is a typical Internet sex "traveler" who preys on children met via the Internet.

These predators pull out the stops to impress their young, smitten prey, FBI Special Agent Barry Maddox said. Maddox is spokesman for the Baltimore field office, the base of the bureau's Innocent Images National Initiative, whose aims includes identifying, investigating and prosecuting Internet sexual predators.

Thomas' attorney Richard Reiling did not return calls for comment.
Fresh flower pedals were found on the bed in a hotel room one predator planned to use for a romantic evening with who he thought was a 13-year-old girl, Maddox said. The reality: the 13-year-old was an FBI agent. Other predators have bought lingerie in hopes their adolescent victims would model for them, Maddox said.

In Thomas' case, he told the girl he loved her and promised her a car, an apartment and a new life in Canada, police reports said. He showered her with gifts - an ankle bracelet, toe and finger rings, a hooded sweater, marijuana, spiked heels and lingerie.
"It's taboo. (Adolescents) want to try it. They think they can handle it," said Xenia police Detective Alonzo Wilson. "They think they love these guys. Once these guys get them hooked, it's hard to stop them."
Wilson is member of Xenia's Internet Child Protection Unit, which since 2000 has netted about 55 people accused of being Internet predators.

One Miami Valley girl said she was drawn by the mystique of a relationship with an older guy.
"Nicole" was a vulnerable, plump, friendless 12-year-old outcast when MBEALER1 began instant messaging her in an online game room in 1998. He said his name was Michael Bealer and he was 19 and from Oklahoma. Nicole, whose real name is not being used, was intrigued.
"He said all of the cool things. . . . I was just glad someone was paying me some attention," said Nicole, now 17. "Most little girls will take attention any way they can get it."

Over the next days, the conversation became sexual and cybersex began. Eventually, MBEALER1 asked Nicole to move to Quapaw, Okla., and to send him sexy photos and letters, authorities said.
"He built up to it," Nicole recalled. "He started asking questions. You can tell by the responses (how far someone will go)."

The relationship ended when Nicole's parents read an explicit letter she planned to mail to Michael Bealer, really Christopher M. Huston. They called Fairborn police.

It turned out the cool guy with the self-described long, red hair and hazel eyes lived in an efficiency apartment with his parents. Huston was convicted in Oklahoma of two counts of making indecent proposals to a minor and sentenced to a seven years in prison. Nicole's mother, "Karen", said she understands why her daughter was attracted.

"She had been lonely. She had it rough with kids picking on her all the time. I think those jerks just look for cracks," Karen said.

The mother of three didn't think her child could be victimized and had told her of Internet dangers. "I was really surprise that would happen in my house. I thought I would be on top of it," she said.

Joy Ott, a child psychologist at Children's Medical Center, said adolescents are particularly susceptible to the abuse because they are sexually curious, rebellious and feel they are invincible.

"Teenagers are always looking for someone that they feel understands them," she said. " (The predator) says, 'You're right. Your parents don't understand you. I understand you.' "

Some Internet predators live in a fantasy world, said Katya Gifford, a program director for Cyberangels.org, the Guardian Angels' online safety, education and help site.

The Internet provides some the arena to fulfill illicit desires, she said.

"It takes people faster into that fantasy and eventually, that fantasy takes them off line," she said. "(The predator) never would have acted on it in his own little town where everyone knows everybody."

For Thomas' 15-year-old victim, the face-to-face meeting turned into sex at a local hotel within walking distance of her high school, police said. For that, Thomas was convicted in Montgomery County on three counts each of corrupting another with drugs and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. Thomas is in the Correctional Reception Center in Orient on the Montgomery County convictions.

He now faces trials on 31 counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, three counts of rape and one
kidnapping charge in connection with meetings with the girl in Fairborn and Trumbull County.

Shortly after reporting her missing April 4, the 15-year-old's parents searched her school locker and found notes with information about Thomas, who was charged in 1998 with gross sexual imposition in Trumbull County.

Trumbull County sheriff deputies found notes on 145 Internet screen names with users' physical descriptions and contact information in Thomas' home, according to Riverside police reports. Officials also found letters from other underage girls and evidence that Thomas traveled to South Carolina to have sex with a teenage girl there, according to police.

[From the Dayton Daily News: 11.03.2003]
Old 04-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #50
Ibby
erika

What's your point?

Their parents obviously never TAUGHT them how to be SAFE, which is exactly what I said parents should do.

You're not helping your case any.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #51
GuinivereXBloodgood
Nerdgasming

Quote:
anecedotal...

implied??? don't wavier.
If by 'wavier' you mean 'waver,' I am doing no such thing.

Or did you actually mean to say 'be wavier,' trying to imply that I should be straight?

The latter certainly wouldn't be totally inconceivable.
GuinivereXBloodgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:22 PM   #52
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
What's your point?

Their parents obviously never TAUGHT them how to be SAFE, which is exactly what I said parents should do.

You're not helping your case any.
I am not helping my case any because some teen says so??? No, most of the time these parents were loving, caring parent, just like me and the millions of others out there, who gave their teens the freedom to do as they wished on the internet, thinking the whole time that all was well and that their teen would never make the wrong choices.

I am all about letting you idiots make the wrong choices, in fact it pleases me so I can tell you "I told you so", well not really because I would really never say that, but hey, you have to learn some how.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #53
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinivereXBloodgood View Post
If by 'wavier' you mean 'waver,' I am doing no such thing.

Or did you actually mean to say 'be wavier,' trying to imply that I should be straight?

The latter certainly wouldn't be totally inconceivable.
Yes, wavier, thank you.

Or we could be talking about crackers...
Old 04-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #54
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
In your teen mind, I believe that you believe that your are correct, as most teens do about anything.
That's just nasty. I pity your children. You clearly believe that chidren do not count as people. Do you believe they get some magical revelation about life when they hit official adulthood? Or do you just not care once you no longer have a financial responsibility for them?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #55
Cloud

um. yikes.

by now you guys should know I really can't stand this kind of thing, so I'm grateful you moved it off thread.

and, as a mother, let me just observe that NOTHING, but NOTHING pisses people off like being told how to raise their own children.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #56
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Or do you just not care once you no longer have a financial responsibility for them?
Where do you get that from?

Do you mean that I do not want my 20 something children living off of me after they graduate from college? hell yes, I want them on their own.

My kids have been given three ultimatums after graduation from HS, 1. join the military of their choice; 2. go to college fully funded by me; 3. get the hell out and figure it out on your own.

How many people do you know that have their adult children living with them or off of them? Would I ever kick them to the curb if they were down and out? hell no, but I'm not telling them that. :p
Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #57
GuinivereXBloodgood
Nerdgasming

I am rolling my eyes so hard at your idiocy that it hurts my sockets.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #58
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Check this out:
Lauren Kerr Thomas knew the right words to woo a 15-year-old girl he met in an Internet chat room.
My daughter is six years old. She already knows that there are people on the internet that want to take her away from us. Because her mother and father have told her so (in appropriately couched language). My seven year old son not only knows better than to fill out personal info (all the kids sites want their address and birthday - but they are clever - they ask for the month and day in one place then their age in another so as to piece it together) but he knows why they want it and how they use it to his disadvantage. We have (hopefully) instilled a desire to withhold that information rather than simply preventing him from providing it.

Its a lot harder the way we do it. Sometimes I have to restrain myself when I see my son follow the links and end up on a video game site with games that I think are excessively violent and desensitizing. But rather than freak like he just found the Playboy channel in the middle of Debbie Does Dallas, I watch him play for a minute then give him some reasons to decide for himself that the game he is playing is not a wise use of his internet time.

I want my kids to learn how to make decisions. That's going to involve them making lots of mistakes. Hopefully, when Daddy is no longer around, they will remember what they have learned.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #59
GuinivereXBloodgood
Nerdgasming

I think I'll leave you all now and go to bed.

Good luck, and have fun trying to get proper parenting skills through Merc's thick skull, Ibby!

:bye:
Old 04-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #60
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinivereXBloodgood View Post

Good luck, and have fun trying to get proper parenting skills through Merc's thick skull, Ibby!

:bye:
KMA, you are obviously not a parent.

Pra tell, what do you know about the product of my parenting???
How would you measure that?

Last edited by TheMercenary; 04-20-2007 at 11:52 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote