The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #16
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Oh and he WILL make room to sit next ANY body in a lazy boy .
Old 04-23-2007, 11:44 PM   #17
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Growing up, my parents bred/raised/showed Rough Coated Collies (think Lassie) in the American Kennel Club. When we moved out of town to the acreage, we had the Collies until they passed, then we were adopted by two Boxers at different times. Unbelieveable how both of the Boxers were unrepentant garbage strewers! We also had a Great Dane for several years with the last Boxer.

My final dog was a Shepard/wolf hybrid. I had Fang for 12 years until old age complications took her. She was a fabulous companion, though a wolf-hybrid is definitely NOT for everybody, they require a lot of attention and training. She loved going with me when I trail-rode the horse.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #18
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

One of our family friends had a wolf, and another had a wolf mix. They're amazing--they have such a powerful presence.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
jinx
Come on, cat.

I gew up with a shepard/husky mix, Killer, who was a racist, was terrified of loud noises, and was very skilled at acting vicious and out of control. We also had an endless stream of guard and hunting dogs at the farm, my favorites were a border collie that liked to chase down deer, and a huge walker coonhound that liked to chase down people.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #20
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
who was a racist,
We had a dog like that! Anatolian shepherd, she would go fucking nuts around Hispanic men, especially if they were wearing a blue workshirt. (We had a neighbor at the time by that description, and we're pretty sure he did something to her while she was in the backyard, threw rocks or something, who knows...)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
rkzenrage

Been around, grew-up with, more dogs than I can name. Mostly larger dogs, but I like small dogs as long as they are not wussy little ankle biters.
I currently own two rescued dogs, a Giant Schnauzer and a (larger Euro) Bassett... they are the big ones that are four to five feet long. Not the smaller, more white, short nosed American/UK versions that were crossed with Beagles more recently.
A few years ago we lost Neil (my first personal dog/son to lymphoma) I cannot see ever getting over it.

Lula

Bhodi.

Neil.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #22
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I love the pic of Lulu looking at the camera. Really cute!
Old 04-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dogs are wonderful people.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #24
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
We had a dog like that! Anatolian shepherd, she would go fucking nuts around Hispanic men, especially if they were wearing a blue workshirt. (We had a neighbor at the time by that description, and we're pretty sure he did something to her while she was in the backyard, threw rocks or something, who knows...)
We seriously considered an Anatolian Shepard before we got the Rhodesians (after the loss of our Akita). They are more of a one dog family I think and we knew we wanted more than one dog after losing the Akita.

Btw, the Akita is a great dog for a single woman, that is why all Akita owners know that OJ did it...
Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #25
AgentApathy
I just look like I'm listening

I wasn't raised with dogs and never thought I'd want one, but my ex was insistent, so we got a male boxer puppy in 1997. Two years later, I wanted company for my male, so I agreed to foster a female boxer for a local rescue. She was nearly immediately diagnosed with terminal cancer. I agreed to keep her until the end, as the vet had given her 3-6 months to live, since her cancer was not one that responds to chemo or radiation and was inoperable. We tried a homeopathic treatment, and 7 1/2 years later, she's still with me, healthy, and getting to be a very senior lady. I lost my male to lymphoma nearly 2 years ago, and I still miss him to the point of still crying sometimes. Both the male and the female are/were wonderful dogs: quick to learn, eager to please, good with my cat and kids, and totally nondestructive. I have another foster now who is also all of those things. I am sold on boxers, as I love their obedient nature and through and through sweetness.

I know that dogs have contributed great things to mankind. The love I feel in my house is all I need to know to know that that is true.
AgentApathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:20 AM   #26
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Always had cats and dogs as a little girl.

My first long term dog was a mutt dumped at my then bf's work - "Leah". She was a kelpie crossed with something little. Such a loyal little dog!! Died age 5 defending my Mum against a a brown snake (really venomous over here).

I got "Marty" the Rotti as an 8 week old puppy and made the awfully heart breaking decision to have him put down after he shattered his back leg. I cried for weeks, had days off work and will bawl my eyes out on April 29th, which will be the 7 year anniversary of when I had him put him. He was nearly 10.

I went through the period of mourning where I didnt!! want another dog, nothing could replace Marty in my heart and I didnt want to go through that pain.

About 3 mths later, I recognised the emptiness that had always been filled with a dog and decided it was time to get another.

Everybody thought I would get another Rott, but I couldnt, because I felt the dog would always be compared to Marty.

Now there's "Clyde" the Bull Mastiff x Great Dane and "T" the Irish Wolfhound x Great Dane.

Both dogs have the nicest nature and are gentle giants. Clyde has never destroyed anything in his life (except hunting wise), T is a destructive tart and can get snappy with the kids. She's good though, when they annoy her, she just jumps the fence and hops in the back of the Ute where they cant get at her.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote