The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #16
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ibs can be a Sister of Perpetual Indulgence.
Derek Jarman is one of their saints.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Perpetual? You think it could be habit forming?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Aren't you already on report?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think the problems all stem from letting them have their own names and wear civilian clothes.

Let's face it. There are no surprises in the Catholic Church in terms of roles. There is no great likelihood that either female or married priests will be part of the program.

Pope Benny is rolling back Vatican II changes.

The Holy Roman and Apostolic Church is not about innovation.

Why is anyone surprised by that?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

I think many people of our generation grew up in a changeable hippie Mass kind of church where the Voldemort Catechism was less referenced and people gave a shit about doing good by their neighbor. That is dead now but these ladies committed to it before it was eliminated. It is sad that they don't just form their own Church but the fuckers in the pointy hats own all the property so they'd be part of the homeless problem they try to address.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
It is sad that they don't just form their own Church but the fuckers in the pointy hats own all the property so they'd be part of the homeless problem they try to address.
Hmm, I wonder? How much support would they get from a community that's fed up with the way the catholic church has turned Santorumy.
And if the pointy hats had to hire replacements, even at minimum wage with no health insurance, it would be a major nut. Hmm

Dominique, nique, nique, over the land he plods, And sings a little song, Never asking for reward...
Old 04-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #22
UncaDollas
Banned

UncaDollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Hmm, I wonder? How much support would they get from a community that's fed up with the way the catholic church has turned Santorumy.
And if the pointy hats had to hire replacements, even at minimum wage with no health insurance, it would be a major nut. Hmm

Dominique, nique, nique, over the land he plods, And sings a little song, Never asking for reward...
I was surprised by the reaction of another Catholic school parent who is very connected to the Church. She wants the nuns to fight this by all possible means. I had assumed that most of us who support the nuns had already left the Church, but there are obviously some left willing to fight it out. There would be support for the Orders both inside and outside the Church, but a retirement bomb is about to go off as well. I think changing the Church is a lost cause, but I wish them well in the effort. I feel like the Church can do good in the world when their approach aligns with the nuns but not when overtly political bishops call the shots. When I left, I considered looking into a liberal Episcopalian parish but what I find I miss is the connections inside my rural community, not religion. These nuns represent connectedness to me. The bishops represent totalitarianism.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My observation/conversations with a lot of catholics, leads me to think most catholic's important connection with the Church is the nuns. They know the parish priest but he's on a pedestal/soapbox, a higher plane with the pointy hats. The nuns, although some were teacher-terrorists, are more approachable and a lot of people have told me nuns evoke fond memories/feelings.

But never being Catholic, this is hearsay.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

But never being Catholic, this is heresy.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #26
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

But but but... This is SPARTA!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

First, let me say I am not anti-Catholic.
I have credentials of working directly with/for the Church,
and with good conscience I can utter that famous
... "Some of my best friends are ..."

But when a church takes on political activities, I can not be any more
tolerant of that church than I would of any political body.

I find the following thrust of the Catholic hierarchy to be political,
and therefore subject to political debate.

Washington Post
Michelle Boorstein,
July 11, 2012

Arlington Diocese parishioners question need for fidelity oath
Quote:
Last month, [Kathleen] Riley joined at least four other Sunday school teachers
and resigned from her post at St. Ann’s parish after a letter arrived at her home requiring her
— and all teachers in the Arlington Catholic Diocese
— to submit “of will and intellect” to all of the teachings of church leaders.<snip>

The Arlington “profession of faith” asks teachers to commit to “believe everything”
the bishops characterize as divinely revealed, and Arlington’s top doctrine official said
it would include things like the bishops’ recent campaign
against a White House mandate that most employers offer contraception coverage
Critics consider the mandate a violation of religious freedom.<snip>

But for some, particularly more liberal Catholics, the oaths are an alarming effort
to stamp out debate in the church at a time when it is bleeding members and clergy in the West.
They note that church leaders’ views have changed over the centuries on various subjects,
including contraception.

“I’m just shocked, I can’t believe they’re asking me to sign this,” said Riley,
who said she may keep her own children out of the parish education program in the fall.
“The bishops are human, and sometimes their judgment is not God’s judgment.
We always have to be vigilant about that.
The Holy Spirit gives us the responsibility to look into our own consciences.”
<snip>

The Rev. Ronald Nuzzi, who heads the leadership program for Catholic educators
at the University of Notre Dame, said many bishops “are in a pickle.”
They want Catholic institutions to be staffed by people who not only teach
what the church teaches but whose “whole life will bear witness.”

Nuzzi said he keeps a photo on his desk from the 1940s that shows
all the German bishops in their garb, doing the Nazi salute.
“I keep it there to remind people who say to do everything the church says,
that their wisdom has limitations, too.”
To wit:
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
Griff
still says videotape

I think its clear that the Church is committed to a purge. I've severed my ties but if you're still in it to win it, check out Spiritus Christi in Rochester as a model for change.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Back in the day (and by "the day" I mean as recently as the 1980s), the only credentialling requirement for teachers in the Catholic schools was a letter from their parish priest attesting to the fact that they were a Catholic in good standing with the church.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #30
glatt

St. Ann's in the article is right in my neighborhood. Over the last 15 years, I've pruned their trees that have branches sticking out over the sidewalk. Fuckers just let them grow and block the sidewalk. I used to occasionally stick the bypass pruners in the basket of our baby stroller, so when we were walking past, I could just pull them out and cut branches off their trees and drop them in their parking lot. Somebody else is doing it too, but they just snap the branches and let them dangle. These days, when I notice the branches are getting out of control, I'll just walk home and get the pruners and come back to work on the trees.

Also, if you happen to be going by at 5:25 on a Saturday afternoon, be careful. Those Catholics come zooming in at the last minute and they are almost late, so they aren't so careful about pedestrians. Nobody gets hurt, but it's a little annoying.

I don't totally hate St. Ann's. I know a couple families who go there and they are really good friends. Good people. You would like them. Wonder what they think of these loyalty oaths.

Oh, one last thing about St. Ann's. They had this old run down house on their property that they used for AA meetings and stuff. They decided to remove the building, so they let the fire department spend a couple days setting it on fire and practice putting it out. That was fun to watch.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote