The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #331
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
That doesn't sound like the Chuck Norris I know, Spexxvet.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #332
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Add two guns, and the likelihood skyrockets.
This is the part where you are wrong.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #333
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
This is the part where you are wrong.
two people are packing guns, one is a criminal. Explain how the likelihood of death doesn't increase.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:26 PM   #334
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I am curious to see your point too Clod.

If only one person has a gun, the person with the gun obviously has the power and as long as both parties cooperate and want to get out without anyone dead, nothing with happen.

If both people have guns, a power struggle will ensue. Most criminals are only stealing out of need and do not want to get hurt, so once they see a gun they may panic and attack if they have a weapon. That goes the other way too, if someone is being attacked they may jump the gun to early and one if not both could be killed.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #335
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
If only one person has a gun, the person with the gun obviously has the power and as long as both parties cooperate and want to get out without anyone dead, nothing with happen.

If both people have guns, a power struggle will ensue. Most criminals are only stealing out of need and do not want to get hurt, so once they see a gun they may panic and attack if they have a weapon. That goes the other way too, if someone is being attacked they may jump the gun to early and one if not both could be killed.
Where did you get your expertise in the psychology of gunpoint scenarios?
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #336
Clodfobble

Quote:
two people are packing guns, one is a criminal. Explain how the likelihood of death doesn't increase.
The criminal is a coward, and wasn't planning on (and isn't interested in) a fair fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45
Most criminals are only stealing out of need
bullshit

Quote:
and do not want to get hurt, so once they see a gun they may panic and attack if they have a weapon.
You misspelled "run." At least you got the "may" part right, since you don't have a goddamn idea what they may or may not do.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #337
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Where did you get your expertise in the psychology of gunpoint scenarios?
Its common sense. If you put two people with guns in the same room and one threatens the other in a stressful situation, things will usually go downhill fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodfobble
bullshit
Yeah, all the guys in the projects steal from people for the fun of it. Then why do they steal if it isn't for need?

Quote:
You misspelled "run." At least you got the "may" part right, since you don't have a goddamn idea what they may or may not do.
What was the point of that? Do you expect me to list all the options that are irrelevant to the point?
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #338
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Its common sense. If you put two people with guns in the same room and one threatens the other in a stressful situation, things will usually go downhill fast.
No, it is not common sense. It is your biased opinion. I win!
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #339
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

wow... champaign huh? I spent a few years there growing up... southside elementary school, last time I was thru it was closed down.. hesslle (sp?) park? we lived a few blocks from there.. there was a twisty brick lined street.. huh... memories..

my granmonster (meant with love mind you) lives right behind the poolhall where they shot the color of money... in little poland town ) if you ever do the sausage thing... (food... mind you) head out of the laramie station L station, head down the road and hit the Krakow deli... best damn sausage in the world (or as much of the world as I know, which is a little bit).. made by people who speak nglish as a second language... but I have never heard words that i didn't understand sound more beautiful coming from that blackhaired ice blueeyed woman behind the counter....
Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 AM   #340
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

If only this lady had been there...
"She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun..."
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #341
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The criminal is a coward, and wasn't planning on (and isn't interested in) a fair fight.
Unfair and cowardly would be to kill your opponent before they have a chance to shoot - as soon as you see the gun. Like I said, as soon as a second gun is introduced, likelihood of death shyrockets. You may be thinking like a rational, law-abiding citizen. As Jinx said, anything can happen.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #342
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
If only this lady had been there...
"She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun..."
Like I said, if keeping your stuff or die trying is your life goal, and you're willing to kill someone to keep your stuff, pack heat.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #343
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Like I said, if keeping your stuff or die trying is your life goal, and you're willing to kill someone to keep your stuff, pack heat.
I really didn't think this was the idea, since the law in nearly every state requires you to flee if you can in almost all situations outside of one's home. Some states won't let you fire a shot on a home intruder unless they show violent intent with a weapon.

Quote:
Unfair and cowardly would be to kill your opponent before they have a chance to shoot - as soon as you see the gun.
You're really going to have to explain this to me, because I don't understand that statement.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #344
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45
What was the point of that? Do you expect me to list all the options that are irrelevant to the point?
Your whole point here was, "If you have a gun, they will shoot you."

My response was, "Unless they don't, which is at least equally likely."

Your response was, "Yeah, that's a possibility, so what?"

Your point is invalid.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #345
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Unfair and cowardly would be to kill your opponent before they have a chance to shoot - as soon as you see the gun.
I would disagree. That would be the smartest move. If a criminal pulls a gun on you and you shoot and kill that person, you will not find a jury that will convict that person for defending themselves. Well unless they are OJ's jury.