The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

A few months ago I was in Atlantic City. Jeff and I went to IMAX and the film broke (or the projector broke). They gave each of us a refund, a free pass to another IMAX movie, and another voucher for a small popcorn/soda combo. The vouchers expired at the end of December.

At that point December looked like Christmas movies and other family fare. So we were hanging onto them for a while and I finally got around to offering them to a friend in the A.C. area along with a restaurant.com gift certificate. We shipped them out 3 days ago.

Yesterday I found out Avatar will be playing at the Tropicana IMAX Dec 17-31.

I'm checking to see if it extends into January, but I am off on vacation on Dec 30th and I am halfway considering an overnight trip to A.C. just to see the movie.

Is anyone planning on seeing Avatar in IMAX. Has anyone seen it in IMAX?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
glatt

Is it even out yet? I've seen the ads, but hadn't seen any reviews in the paper.

If it gets good reviews, I'll probably walk down to the National Mall and see it on one of the Imax screens there. Assuming they are showing it. Natural History sometimes shows commercial movies on Imax.

If it doesn't get good reviews, I won't see it. Special effects are neat, but are not reason enough for me to see a movie.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Ebert liked it.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

It's playing in 'digital 3D' in King of Prussia. Looks like a road trip is called for.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Cloud

We have the option of 3d or regular in my theater. Should I see the 3d one? Do I need special glasses? will it give me a headache?
Old 12-25-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

We saw Avatar 3D. I had not read any information about it and so I had no expectations. I don't usually love many movies but to me this was like one of those dreams you don't want to wake from.

It was visually appealing and not just because of the 3d which I thought was only ok.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
We saw Avatar 3D. I had not read any information about it and so I had no expectations. I don't usually love many movies but to me this was like one of those dreams you don't want to wake from.

It was visually appealing and not just because of the 3d which I thought was only ok.
Was it IMAX and 3D? I'm confused about how many different ways there are to see this movie.

Mrs. Levy saw 'Polar Express' in IMAX 3D with Jeff last year and had to close her eyes during some of the scenes because she was getting motion sickness. I wasn't there but it sounded cool. I was hoping 3D combined with IMAX would give someone a sense of flying along with the characters.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
skysidhe

No it was not IMAX. IMAX is nothing like viewing on a regular theater screen and using 3D glasses. I can't do IMAX. * sigh * I have ear problems and so I get motion sick too but I had no problem with the 3D glasses.

I am sure it is the difference of type of screen? I don't know maybe someone else has more knowledge than I which is nil.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Tester-San and I are looking forward to seeing Avatar, rich, hopefully we'll be able to work out the scheduling, but not this weekend because of the mall traffic insanity (for the Brits, what you call Boxing Day for Americans is "Re-Boxing Day" ... the day you return all the gifts that you didn't want or didn't work, or you broke and are trying to blame on a manufacturing error. We don't really call it that, BTW, I just made that up on the fly).

Also, I think that this weekend we have to go see a romantic comedy of some kind to appease momma-san and cousin-chan.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Tester-San and I are looking forward to seeing Avatar, rich, hopefully we'll be able to work out the scheduling, but not this weekend because of the mall traffic insanity (for the Brits, what you call Boxing Day for Americans is "Re-Boxing Day" ... the day you return all the gifts that you didn't want or didn't work, or you broke and are trying to blame on a manufacturing error. We don't really call it that, BTW, I just made that up on the fly).

Also, I think that this weekend we have to go see a romantic comedy of some kind to appease momma-san and cousin-chan.
We're thinking next Saturday or Sunday at the KofP IMAX.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
casimendocina
Professor

I've just passed up an invite to go and see Avator in favour of sitting on the couch and watching Scrubs and the original Brideshead Revisited. I'm not having any feelings of regret at all. Should I be?
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
skysidhe

Well I went in with an expectation level of zero.

I think that helped a lot

Last edited by skysidhe; 12-26-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, let me start by saying that we have a moderate sized (27"-30") LCD TV downstairs. For about $7, I can get a used copy of almost any movie about 3-4 months after it has appeared in a movie theater and make my own popcorn.

At current prices, tickets for the 3 of us to a regular movie is about $36. I don't usually buy snacks, but we end up with 1 or 2 sodas and a popcorn for something like $12.

So it's $48 versus $7. In order to make up the difference, the movie theater has to add a better experience. The room is darker and the sound system is better. As far as screen size goes, with the smaller movie theater screens, I'm seeing only a slightly large picture sitting 30 feet from the screen as in my living room sitting 8 feet from the screen.

So in order to get me to justify getting myself into a theater, the 'experience' has to be significantly better. IMO, now that all movies cost $12 and more and more theaters are still pleading poverty in justifying outrageous snack prices, ALL movies should be in IMAX.

Considering the plot and action, Avatar screams for IMAX 3D and surround sound. Since I don't have a home movie theater, and I have at one point entertained the idea, I can convince myself that there is an added value worth the cost and travel.

That we will be going with friends is even better.

So Avatar, like a lot of big action films, justifies going to a theater to get the full effect.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
skysidhe

I have netflix so I don't usually like to spend money on theaters
( even when I have money )but this was a special trip and worth every penny!

Yes the snack prices are outrageous and taste horrible but I guess it's part of the theater experience too.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Some of the STL family and I saw it today in digital but not 3d. The story is good. The CGI is excellent. It really is a whole new level for movie graphics.

I predict a whole flock of bad CGI movies in a year or so. Hollywood will forget to include a story in with the amazing new computer techniques.