The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #16
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

At my great-grandmother's funeral, there was an open casket. My sister who was about 5 at the time kept touching the body. It was creepy.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I was tempted a couple of times to touch a dead body at a funeral, but never did. Though I have touched a dead body once...when I kissed my grandmother good-bye shortly after she died at a hospital in 1997.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:40 AM   #18
lookout123
changed his status to single

death doesn't freak me out. let's face it, we are all dieing right now. part of my training in the military had me working in the trauma units in San Antonio - gunshot wounds galore. that was interesting. i also worked in the morgue - they aren't as creepy IRL as they are in the movies. i also worked in the autopsy room as well - that is creepy. seeing a person dismantled completely while talking about which bar you are going to when the shift is over is just a little too surreal.

due to family medical history i spent a VERY large part of my youth sleeping in ICU chairs waiting for news.

these experiences, among others, have removed the "freak factor" from death. my trust documents give explicit orders to throw my bones into the cheapest wood box available and burn my ass. no bedside moment or lazy boy viewing for me.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #19
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

My dying wish is to have my unembalmed corpse be sent one-way Fedex to the doorstep of somebody I hate.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:11 PM   #20
lookout123

better than that is when the day comes that you feel the end is near sneak over to their house and hide in their trunk. noone will notice until the smell is horrid and imagine your enemies surprise when they are arrested for your murder! oh yeah, you got Punk'd!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:22 PM   #21
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
I know...it's so hard though b/c being an asshole is so much fun.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:23 PM   #22
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

My dad died of a heart attack before I was able to get to the hospital. Once there, I asked for a few minutes alone with him and I said my goodbyes ending with a hug and kiss. His body was only a few hours dead, so he did look like he was just sleeping. He smelled like my dad too...whatever he used in his hair will always remind me of him.

Anyway, at the funeral, he was the wrong color, his hair was done way wrong, and his expression was off. He was an organ donor, and his corneas went to someone (we got a card later saying so) so his eyes were not quite right bulgewise either. I decided right then and there that there would be none of this open casket business for me. Just lots of pictures of me when I was alive, and food. LOTS of food

This was confirmed when I went to both of my grandparents funerals, they just don't even look like THEM, so why have the damn thing there anyway?? All I have now is this memory of their dead body. I didn't want to look, but I figured everyone else would see it as a sign of disrespect if I didn't walk by the casket with everyone. Now, I am old enough to know I can just say "no thanks, I prefer to remember X as they were". Screw 'em if they think I'm being rude. :p
Old 07-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #23
lookout123

here is the thing - the funeral is supposed to be for the survivors. that is why i don't go. i don't need closure, and it sickens me to look around a roomful of teary eyed people who didn't care all that much about the person when they were alive.

my grandfather's last brother passed away a few months ago. some of the extended family got pissed because i refused to take part in a big memorial that they had planned. i spent the last ten years writing letters back and forth to him, recording stories of his youth, WWII, life afterwards, and all that jazz. the man was fascinating. they wanted me to bring the recordings and journals and read some of the letters. i told them all to piss off. i had invited most of them at various times to be included in these events while he was still alive, but they were too busy. screw 'em. if they really cared or were interested they would have been interested while he was alive. i don't have the time or the inclination to teach them who he was now that he is gone. and i think he felt the same way. i had asked him for many years if i could take a video of some of his WWII experiences for the DDAy museum archives in new orleans and he had always refused. about a month before he died he traveled across the country, and handed me a tape. he said it was the only one in existence and he wasn't going to tell anyone else about it. after his death i made one copy for my uncle who was also very close to him, and that is it.

all that to say this - pay attention to them while they are alive, the funeral isn't that important.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One of my coworkers was given an open casket service ... but it was kinda cool in a way, because the funeral home did stuff that I've not seen before ... yeah, he looked too damn pink, but that's always a problem ... but, he was buried in his black jeans, his Flyers jersey (and the pall bearers all wore jerseys as well ... none of the suit and tie nonsense), and rather than the hands folded in peaceful repose pose ... his right hand was stuck into his jeans pocket the way he always did it, with his pinkie curled back ... and well, he looked like he always did just prior to kicking someone's ass.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #25
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

not sure if I'm going to get haunted for this, but my dad was buried in his tighty whities only, the way he was most comfortable, and usually seen around the house ( --used to embarass the hell out of me when friends would come over ). It was my mom's idea, and I thought it was a good one. He only had the top half of a suit on whole time of the viewing...
Old 07-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #26
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

When my Grandmother passed in January - we got the opportunity to sit with her a body and wait for the arrival of the cremation folks. It was tough, knowing she wasn't there, and feeling her body get cold...pretty quickly too.

But having the ability to sit with her, say goodbye, and have that closure was extremely helpful in the grieving process.

We're a 'no funeral' family. I think it's better that way.

Kellie

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
pay attention to them while they are alive, the funeral isn't that important.
Agreed.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #28
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I still want Patrick to do my eulogy.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:23 AM   #29
mrnoodle
bent

I find funerals to be off-putting, in general. Memorial services, sure. Wakes, great. But the idea of slapping some clay and makeup on a corpse to display it in a church for a bunch of crying people is just weird. Embalming is weird. The amount of money spent on caskets is weird.

That said, I understand the need for closure and all that, so I'll let my family do what they want with my carcass when I'm gone. But for me, when my grandpa died (I was 16) and I literally felt his soul leave the room, I had more closure than any amount of pre-burial pomp could've provided.

Oddly, when my nana died in 2003, the sense of her presence (and her departure) weren't nearly as strong. In the intervening years I had made a conscious effort to squelch my awareness of things psychic. Good for not being bothered by ghosts, bad for general awareness.

/weird
Old 07-21-2005, 08:13 AM   #30
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I know exactly what you mean, noodle. I grew up 'knowing things" and I've had precog dreams all my life. That's why when people want to pin me down about my beliefs, I give the ultimate confusing answer.. Literalist Creationist Christian Wiccan.

Or something like that

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote