The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #136
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, Jordan.
You're right and there are to many kids trying to "earn" their way in by taking the job, knowing they will not fry.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:09 AM   #137
kleinshelley
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Welcome to the Cellar, Jordan.
You're right and there are to many kids trying to "earn" their way in by taking the job, knowing they will not fry.
i'm not sure what the penalty is matters when it comes to murder. because people don't usually think they're going to get caught for the crime. if they thought they'd get caught, they wouldn't do the murder regardless of whether the punishments was 10 years in prison or if it was death penalty
kleinshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:43 AM   #138
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Still, the death penalty says more than just "we will punish you for your crime" in the same way because you can get life in jail for things less than murder. The death penalty says "We have deemed your actions so abhorent that we refute your right to live". And that's why I'm glad we have it. I don't even think it's punishment, once you're dead everything kind of loses its meaning to you. I'm trying to think of what society used to punish it's worst criminals by not only killing them, but erasing them from all records as if they never existed. Basically saying "You should never have existed on this Earth, we are fixing that problem". Sends a different message, maybe it'll reach its target better.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #139
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinshelley
i'm not sure what the penalty is matters when it comes to murder. because people don't usually think they're going to get caught for the crime. if they thought they'd get caught, they wouldn't do the murder regardless of whether the punishments was 10 years in prison or if it was death penalty
Quite often is does matter, juveniles are often given incarceration until they are adults then freed to start over.
Thinking they won't get caught doesn't always apply. Juveniles in service to thugs, sort of interns, know their status as a juvenile will get them a lighter sentence and win their place in the underworld. Doing a few years for the "Boss" earns his respect and gratitude.
College and career is not an option, nor even choice, for everyone.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #140
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
Still, the death penalty says more than just "we will punish you for your crime" ~snip
The death penalty is saying, we don't think rehabilitation is possible, so you're gone.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #141
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

*sighs*.... so easily taken in.....