The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-07-2004, 09:23 PM   #1
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Angry Post-Traumatic Slave Disorder? You gotta be shitting me....

CULTURE OF EXCUSE: Slave owners beat their slaves, says attorney Randall
Vogt. Therefore, it's "justified" for black men to beat their sons.
Vogt is defending Isaac Cortez Bynum, who beat his 2-year-old son to
death, and says he'll use a "post traumatic slave syndrome" defense "in
a general way" in Bynum's Beaverton, Ore., murder trial. "If you are
African American and you are living in America, you have been
impacted," says Joy DeGruy-Leary, assistant professor at Portland State
University's Graduate School of Social Work, who originated the slave
syndrome theory. The boy's autopsy showed he had been abused over a
lengthy period and had suffered brain injury, a broken neck, broken
ribs, and scores of whip marks all over his body. When shown the boy's
autopsy photos, DeGruy-Leary said the injury pattern "falls in the
rubric" of "normal" for descendants of slaves. (Portland Oregonian)

Oh, please. One more excuse as to why someone isn't responsible for their actions....

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
marichiko

That defense is not only pathetic, its downright racist. Like, "Well, what else do you expect from Black folks? They're all descended from slaves, you know." Jeez, where do you find these things, Lady Sid? Each one you post is more depressing than the last.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

If he gets away with this shit, then if I kill someone in an oven, I can claim "Post-Traumatic Nazi Disorder"?
Just another way for some jerk-off professor to get his name in a textbook. "You can't be guilty of beating your child to death! It's the fault of those evil white men 300 years ago!"
I believe the word I'm looking for is - brace yourself - BULLSHIT!!!!!

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:13 AM   #4
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
That defense is not only pathetic, its downright racist. Like, "Well, what else do you expect from Black folks? They're all descended from slaves, you know." Jeez, where do you find these things, Lady Sid? Each one you post is more depressing than the last.

I get a lot of it from bizarre, strange news updates I get in my email. The offbeat stuff is a lot more interesting than the run-of-the-mill news one sees every day.

I posted it becuse I found it absurd...the fact that someone was probably given a grant to develop such a stupid theory, and the fact that not only did this person come right out and advertise his bullshit ideas, but that someone actually has the nerve to insult twelve jurors and a judge by using it as a defense of a child killer.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 07-08-2004 at 12:14 AM. Reason: left out a word....
Old 07-08-2004, 04:08 AM   #5
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Sickening. Says a lot about the culture of violence in your 'what good' thread Mari. These burns can last through generations, according to the perpetrators. It's no excuse. When does it all end?
Old 07-08-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
jaguar
whig

Can we get a source for this? Fair chance it's satire. Chances of it working are next to none.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
It wouldn't be QUITE so absurd if the man who beat his son to death had actually been a slave who grew up under the whip of a plantation owner and had endured the hell on earth that was the life of a typical slave at the time. Plenty of people who were abused while growing up have shown to do the same to others, whatever that abuse may have been. But this post traumatic slave symdrone business is, at the LEAST, approx. 110 years too late. And as a black person, I'm bloody sick and tired of my race being used as an excuse for horrible acts and deplorable behavior.

And who knows what ridiculousness might come of this if the jury actually falls for it. I can see it now...a white guy will beat his son to death and claim the same, because his great great grandmother was black and was a slave. He couldn't help it, it was in his blood! Feh.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

The story is legit.

Judge rejects slave trauma as defense for killing

<snip>----
Noting the theory has not been proven or ever offered in court, Washington County Circuit Judge Nancy W. Campbell recently threw out DeGruy-Leary's pretrial testimony.

But the judge said she would reconsider the defense for Bynum's September trial if his lawyer can show the slave theory is an accepted mental disorder with a valid scientific basis and specifically applies to this case.
----</snip>

I don't really have any comment. Some bozo creates a theory out of whole cloth and some attorney picks it up because his client is otherwise well on his way to a 25-year stint in an ass-pounding penetentiary (they love child abusers in the big house).
Old 07-08-2004, 09:29 AM   #9
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Can we get a source for this? Fair chance it's satire. Chances of it working are next to none.

www.bizarrenews.com

-Rita Rudner

Old 07-08-2004, 09:39 AM   #10
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
... this post traumatic slave symdrone business is, at the LEAST, approx. 110 years too late. And as a black person, I'm bloody sick and tired of my race being used as an excuse for horrible acts and deplorable behavior.

And who knows what ridiculousness might come of this if the jury actually falls for it.

Hear, Hear! :thumpsup:

"The boy's autopsy showed he had been abused over a
lengthy period and had suffered brain injury, a broken neck, broken
ribs, and scores of whip marks all over his body. "

I'm sorry, but that's rage, not post-traumatic- ANYTHING- syndrome.

I hate it when people use something like this to excuse bad behavior. I look at it this way: I didn't own slaves, probably had family enslaved somewhere myself (American Indian), but so did the Irish, the Chinese (think the railroads), and others. It's not an excuse for bad behavior, because none of us, personally, were slaves.

Goddamn, slavery is over. It's been over. Nobody alive today was a slave, and nobody alive today was a slave owner. Why can't people stop bringing it up as an accusation or excuse for this, that, and the other?

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner

Old 07-08-2004, 09:55 AM   #11
jaguar
whig

While this is obviously asinine, you're wrong on one point. Slavery isn't dead, it's alive and well all over the place. Brothels across the western world and asia, maids in the middle east and on occasion in western countries (hell the US has been leaning on Israel to put a stop to it quite recently), the white slave trade, particularly in the middle east...the list goes on. Nice thought but these things still happen.

This guy is still an ass though.

Last edited by jaguar; 07-08-2004 at 09:57 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:55 AM   #12
lookout123
changed his status to single

*ding ding ding*

common sense has been detected in this area, please evacuate immediately.

well said, sidhe.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:11 AM   #13
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
While this is obviously asinine, you're wrong on one point. Slavery isn't dead, it's alive and well all over the place. Brothels across the western world and asia, maids in the middle east and on occasion in western countries (hell the US has been leaning on Israel to put a stop to it quite recently), the white slave trade, particularly in the middle east...the list goes on. Nice thought but these things still happen.

This guy is still an ass though.
I'm pretty sure it was only in referrence to America. We know it goes on elsewhere.

I watched one of those christian channels where they take the money you send them and they head to the Sudan to buy people out of slavery with it.

35 USD if I recall. I wonder if they have the foresight to realize that day after that the ex-slave will be right back where they were and the slave trader is 35 USD richer?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:15 AM   #14
jaguar
whig

Don't think it doesn't happen in the US, it does, usually maids from South America.

Some of those guys offer comprehensive services to people afterwards to get people on their feet, it varies. I've seen this stuff happen, it's particularly common in cambodia, you can buy a 16-18y.o girl for around $2-300USD. That's a fun situation let me tell you, I mean what the fuck can you do, even if you do try and play the knight in shining armour, how the fuck do you explain to her and what the hell is she going to do afterwards. The culture that exists around places like K11 is a hard thing to kill. There are NGOs that do help, if it irks you, that is the best option. As far as I'm aware the Eastern European stuff goes for around $7-10000USD.

Salves are the least of the problems in Sudan.

Last edited by jaguar; 07-08-2004 at 10:18 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #15
Lady Sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
*ding ding ding*

common sense has been detected in this area, please evacuate immediately.

well said, sidhe.

Thanks--but don't let anyone else hear you say that
It might start a riot or something...someone agreeing with my radical notions....

Hey, it can happen....

Sidhe

-Rita Rudner