The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 11-19-2003, 11:27 PM   #31
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
From FNF:
So ask yourself, "Would April come out and put her ass out in the line of fire for my sake?"
      Curious, why the hell does that matter? If I do right by someone it has nothing to do with how they will respond. That way lies only bitterness and letdown. I do right by people becuase I believe it to be right. Not because I expect a return.
      Also, simple response to April, or anyone as stupid as you say she is. Put her on your ignore list. After all, if she's that stupid she won't say anything of value to you, therefore, no loss. Plus you won't be irritated by her, your gain.

I will admit though, I've missed most of the stuff with her as I haven't the time for much dwelling of late. I also tend to skip the "Hi, I'm a newbie" threads. Still, I say keep her around, without the extra abuse. Perhaps she'll be better in the future. Of course I stood up for Luvbugz too, and I was one of the first people she freaked out on...
Old 11-20-2003, 08:26 AM   #32
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
      Curious, why the hell does that matter? If I do right by someone it has nothing to do with how they will respond. That way lies only bitterness and letdown. I do right by people becuase I believe it to be right. Not because I expect a return.

It matters because then you're just helping an ungreatful asshole. You're being used; a tool. Your sense of "right" is allowing somebody to manipulate you into being their "slave" because they'll never do jack shit for you while you bend over backwards for them doing the "right" thing.
The funny thing is, you'd probably never notice till somebody else points it out to you. It'll sound something like "WTF is wrong with you? Can't you see that you're just being used?"

Also, simple response to April, or anyone as stupid as you say she is. Put her on your ignore list. After all, if she's that stupid she won't say anything of value to you, therefore, no loss. Plus you won't be irritated by her, your gain.

I'll still see all the responses to her "Oh woe is me! Oh I'm so bored; dance and entertain me!" threads. I could ignore half of the cellar to avoid the idiotic responses to her also, but that kinda invalidates the whole point behind going to the cellar in the first place. I want her to leave.

I will admit though, I've missed most of the stuff with her as I haven't the time for much dwelling of late. I also tend to skip the "Hi, I'm a newbie" threads. Still, I say keep her around, without the extra abuse. Perhaps she'll be better in the future. Of course I stood up for Luvbugz too, and I was one of the first people she freaked out on...

I don't know Luvbugz so I don't care. April's posts tell only half the story, she's a PM addict with a horrible habbit of PMing random strangers asking them to be her friends...
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #33
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I'll Stick Up For April

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Wait a minute, the people that gathered over the weekend may be active and vocal but still represent less than 1% of the membership in the Cellar. Any opinions that group expressed are just that, opinions. Besides even a group that small, of the Cellar wackos, couldn't reach a consensus.
Tony, and only Tony, is judge, jury and executioner for he owneth the plug. As far as I can tell, he's pretty damn tolerant and willing to let the Cellar grow as it will in scope and direction. I think he's taking a cue from the way Katkeeper raised him.
This business of be nice, play nice and speak (write) nice or shut up, will kill the Cellar faster than a power outage. Maybe we need a smiley with a zipper mouth for when we don't have anything nice to say.
Dave, do you have a little Dave or Davette stashed away you're not telling us about?
Yeah, I 've been thinking more about that shot that dave took at me:
Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Just so you know, homeboy, there were some discussions about the Cellar this weekend and I don't remember anyone being particularly enthusiastic about you. I actually had the kindest words. You might not be as outwardly annoying as she was at first, but you haven't impressed anyone either. So perhaps before making fun of others you should examine your posting habits.
And the more i DO think about it, the more I think it was a chicken shit cheap shot. Now, maybe you didn't put a lot of thought or malice into it, but the way you phrased it gave me pause on a couple levels.

first off, to tell me that the people ( who are pictured in the thanks thanks thread) were talking about me and not too impressed is shitty. I'm sure, IF that's true, they wouldn't appreciate you telling ME that. This is the impression you gave, but when i re-read it, you didn't even say that, you just said, "I don't remember anyone being particularly enthusiastic about you."

second, you take the position of being the one who had said the "kindest words". very nice of you. so, here, while you take a shot at me vicariously through the other people at that party, you stand out of the line of fire by saying you had my back......yet, you are the one telling me that there were (at least infer that there were) negative feelings toward my "posting habits"

I see that you post quite a lot in here, Dave, and the people seem to respect you. For the most part, your views are well thought out and accurate. So why the low blow? juju attached the thread that related to the honeypot thread, and in it you said this:

" For me, the Cellar is something really special. I don't want it to ever go away - especially because it got too popular and the crapflooders started coming here. If we're still a "community", I'll be a member."

I can appreciate that, and I agree. It's just that of course, I don't think I'm a crapflooder or an asshat.

I realize that I have not contributed nearly what you have to this forum, but I also think that I DO have something to offer. Time will tell. I'll try to be more impressive, too.

Last edited by lumberjim; 11-20-2003 at 11:45 AM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:52 AM   #34
dave

The point was that we're giving you a chance (and, to your credit, you're taking advantage of it). We can't give you a chance and not someone else. You wouldn't like being pigeonholed like April has. Why should we pigeonhole her?

I'll not say who said what, other than to say that my response to one of them was "I actually kind of like him. But Jesus Christ does he look constipated in that picture." I then proceeded to do my best imitation.

Anyway, everyone deserves a fair shot. We all agreed that you should get one, and in doing so, we need to give April one too. Might work or it might not. But we gave her the opportunity.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #35
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by dave

I'll not say who said what, other than to say that my response to one of them was "I actually kind of like him. But Jesus Christ does he look constipated in that picture." I then proceeded to do my best imitation.

i would have loved to see that......

and fyi, the camera was way to close, and i was being photographed under duress, and therefore making a pained face.

As far as April goes, I don't know if you caught any of the thread started by razor eye before toad deleted it, but this chick is whacked: she created yet another id , but htis time used her teacher's email address, username from HIS forum, and his website ......impersonating him...... yeah, give people a chance. no, don't tolerate the obviously twisted. It's time to give up on the April defense....FnF has her pegged.(although, i agree he was out of line mean).......I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up at your door one day saying she loves you and needs your help because you were nice to her way back when.......
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:11 PM   #36
dave

At which point, I would say "If you need a meal, I'll buy you one, but I'm taken (and if that doesn't pan out, there's always Dani)."

I caught the thread, and was the first person to know that she was razoreye or whatever it was. It definitely wasn't the smartest thing to do, but she <b>is</b> a 17 year old girl...

Regardless of whether or not he has her pegged, I do believe that he was out of line, and that's why I stuck up for her. I felt it was right.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:39 PM   #37
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I was initially concerned with lumberjim...I just wasn't getting a good vibe off the guy. It was discussed at the gathering.

But now, having seen him post more, I think he's gonna be just fine...if he can survive the Imperial.

Dave generally means well, though he lacks tact. Having said that, he is aware of it, and has made improvement since his early days.

I just wish all the teenagers on here would be like Chewie...he's been on here since the beginning of Mk. V, and if he hadn't mentioned it, you wouldn't know that he's just now in his first year of college at age 17/18.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #38
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Teenagers? It's the generation gap. I've been working IT in higher ed since 1992... well, since 1987 if you count while I was still in college & working as a student. I mean, I still made cash in college typing research papers for people because hardly anybody knew how to use word processors. At that point, in that place, you weren't even automatically entitled to an email account as a student.

Fast forward to my "real" employment, and I handed out email accounts and passwords to students at orientation darn every year now since 1992. I've seen it go from "e mail? What's e mail? Oh who cares I'll put it in my pile of other papers from the college that I'll never read" to "Oh really, I've heard about email, it might be neat to try it out" to "Gimme my email account now" to "I don't want your stinkin' email account, I've already got three of 'em".

My employer supplied high-speed networks in the dormitories for the first time in 1995, and we were kind of in the middle of the pack for our peer group institutions. (I still have nightmares about setting up TCP/IP in Windows 3.1.) These kids, who are now mostly in their late 20s, were more interested in email than anything else--because there wasn't much of anything else, just telnet and ftp, and gopher, which was really fabulous and trendy for about 10 months. On the other hand, your average college freshman today has been IM'ing at least since starting high school, and may well have had as much or more bandwidth at home as my 1995 employer provided for the entire campus!

I think there really is an online generation gap that shows up in a lot of things, like writing. The expectations of writing in email in the mid 90s for example may have been informal... but not as informal as IM or txt msging.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:52 PM   #39
juju
no one of consequence

Sure he means well.... even though he repeatedly attempts to hurt other people's feelings.

I personally think it's pretty despicable.

Last edited by juju; 11-20-2003 at 01:55 PM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:13 PM   #40
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
even though he repeatedly attempts to hurt other people's feelings.

I personally think it's pretty despicable.
How reasonable of you to speculate on my motivations for saying what I say.

Again, you're no psychologist, and you have no qualifications to make that remark. If I use an ad hominem attack, it is almost certainly not to hurt feelings.

When I said what I said the other night to you, I picked words I thought you would pay attention to. Your "You're pathetic" had no place in the conversation. Pointing this out to you has <b>never</b> worked - we've tried it many times before, remember? You respond to personal attacks, and that is what I will use against you when you open fire.

My goal is not to hurt your feelings. It's to make you stop and say "Ooookay! This isn't where the conversation should be. Let's get back on track." I'm not sure if you've noticed, but it tends to work.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:15 PM   #41
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Juju, you've been here long enough to know how Dave operates. You set yourself up when you failed to back up your post with facts or qualifiers. Goddamnit, how many times have I said that in the three years I've been here? And how many times have you done something like that? Several on both questions.

Do I agree with how Dave operates in regards to this sorta thing? No, because I think it does more harm than good. And no, it wasn't cool to bring your kid into it. But you did deserve the retard comment.

So, bottom line: watch how you word things and keep it cool.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:24 PM   #42
juju
no one of consequence

Of course he's always been that way. I don't mean to suggest otherwise. It's just that I've finally decided what I think of it.

I don't care what the topic of discussion is.. nothing makes such behavior moral. I don't think anything justifies it. But again, i'm just voicing my opinion.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #43
dave

I'm curious, then, how you justify posting "You're pathetic" in the middle of a discussion after the only thing I've done remotely similar to you in said discussion is very strongly but clearly imply that you don't have the qualifications to make such a statement?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:29 PM   #44
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
And no, it wasn't cool to bring your kid into it.
I just want to make sure this is clear:

OF COURSE it wasn't cool to bring his kid into it. Just like it wasn't cool to say "You're pathetic". That was the whole point of doing it. To make him go "Gee, it kinda sucks where this is going now."
Old 11-20-2003, 02:34 PM   #45
juju
no one of consequence

Sorry, but if talking to me that way is the only way you feel that we can successfully communicate, then we will simply not communicate at all. This should be an acceptable compromise for both of us.