The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 09-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #451
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
She's doing a semester abroad. Living in the rain forest near Cairns, studying the forest towards her environmental sciences degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Pologirl stopped one of her new classmates from driving drunk.

It doesn't sound like much, but for a 21yo in a new place with new friends, and only 10 classmates, to potentially alienate one takes some guts imo, so I am proud. Seems like the rest of the gang stepped up to help.
Well done!
Old 09-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #452
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Pologirl stopped one of her new classmates from driving drunk.

It doesn't sound like much, but for a 21yo in a new place with new friends, and only 10 classmates, to potentially alienate one takes some guts imo, so I am proud. Seems like the rest of the gang stepped up to help.
Doin the right thing.

Attagirl!
Old 09-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #453
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
She's doing a semester abroad. Living in the rain forest near Cairns, studying the forest towards her environmental sciences degree.

ooooh I totally missed this! I have major envy. What a fantastic experience -go, Glattlet!
Old 09-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #454
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

What an awesome testament to your parenting, monster. It's hard enough to get kids to make the right choices for themselves, but for them to have the confidence to stand up to a friend making a shitty choice... Way to go.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #455
glatt

Monster, that is fantastic that she did that. Shows some real self confidence, bravery, and having the right values.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #456
monster

she is pretty awesome and also teetotal.. Can't think why.......
Old 09-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #457
monster

Less than a month into her studies, The Archaeologist has gotten involved with/taken over the preparation of an exhibition (known as preparating, apparently) and the supervising prof has already offered to write her a recommendation letter when she needs one. More than proud. She is having a blast, totally in her element.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #458
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sounds like she'll be too busy for a TV.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #459
Clodfobble

Awesome!
Old 09-15-2019, 01:51 AM   #460
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
So that'd be in the Daintree? Lucky her. It's pretty hot up there in the summer though, and she'll need good bug spray. I have family up there if she needs anything adulty in the way of help. Tell her to watch out for crocs, snakes and stingers in the ocean. Maybe sharks too! and in the rainforest, feral pigs! I assume they give them at least a brief talk about all these things, but seriously, even locals can get caught out so it's worth being vigilant.

BTW, do you remember my husband is an environmental scientist? He teaches at a Uni here on the coast. If she's after a fun class to do about marine ecology early in the new year, he does a camp at an island where they study all that stuff. I can give you the details if she's interested. It's usually in February.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #461
glatt

Hi Ali! Thanks.

She went snorkeling for the first time on Saturday and they had the students wear the full stinger suits even though it's apparently not the season yet. Just being sure.

Her base camp is right next to Gadgarra National Park. They have her on a pretty tight schedule, so I am not sure she is able to do much outside the program. She's got a week or so after the program ends in December to travel around a bit. She'll decide what tickles her fancy then. Probably Sydney, but who knows?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:25 PM   #462
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

If she can she should head out west and see Uluru and the red center. Don't waste time going to a city that's just like every other city you'll find in the world. See the real heart of Australia. That's my recommendation.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:10 AM   #463
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sounds like with the schedule she has and where she's located, she might be ready for a city by then.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #464
Clodfobble

Dumb parent brag, but I am weirdly proud... Minifobette stood up too quickly from her bottom locker, and the door above was still open. Corner of the metal door caught her right on her scalp, leaving a big old bloody gash.

Brag #1: She got three staples at the emergency clinic without anesthesia, and barely whimpered. She's a champ.

Brag #2: I finally have a kid who has had some form of big wound closure. Like I said, dumb, but I'd had stitches 4 times by the time I was her age, and was starting to doubt that either one of these kids was related to me. Then again, she did fracture her spine a couple years ago, and I've never broken a bone, so she's got that on me.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #465
monster

The stories you tell... I think there's little doubt they're yours! hoping for an easy healing minifobette