The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

REVISIT Roku

Anyuthing new? As I was using my BDP to stream netflix and the furrie little shits got that. I'm looking at other things.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I have two

I've bought two others as gifts

I've recommended them to several friends

I know of four or five dwellars who have one or more

I don't know anyone who has one who doesn't like it

Broadband access is strictly required 1.5 mbps is the bare minimum

I'd buy another one.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Zing 1 has one at school as a substitute for cable. She says it's worked out well for her.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Broadband access is strictly required 1.5 mbps is the bare minimum
I am amazed that broadband that slow is sufficient. I would have thought at least 3 mbps were necessary. What makes over the air HDTV possible? About 19 Mbps.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
busterb
NSABFD

Oh, well anyhou I just ordered the top o line. Just fucking hoping I can keep something working, while I work on squirrels BUT, but I have netflix account already. Wonder how that works?? Damnifiknow?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
mbpark
Lecturer

Roku is awesome

Roku can play Netflix, Pandora, Amazon Instant Video, and a ton of other media either from online or a USB stick (Hulu, etc.).

It also has Angry Birds.

I have one and recommend it. It's just too awesome and replaces a lot of smaller devices.

At this time in my life I do not want to be spending my time configuring XBMC or a similar solution. I want something that plugs in and works, and this gives me that.

Surprisingly, Windows 8 and Classic Shell give me that on a laptop and fix problems with WPA2 Enterprise secured wireless, but that's a different story.
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Oh, well anyhou I just ordered the top o line. Just fucking hoping I can keep something working, while I work on squirrels BUT, but I have netflix account already. Wonder how that works?? Damnifiknow?
it works like this

you get your roku and connect it to your television

you turn on the tv so that you're looking at the input from the roku

you go to the settings screen and find your wireless network (you're wireless, right? if not, just wired will be fine assuming your roku has that too).

once you find/tell the roku about your wireless network, you're almost there. the next step is to go to the Netflix "channel". it will show a code with about six characters, kind of like a license plate number. the roku will ask you to go to your computer and go to something like (don't quote me, follow the instructions on the tv/roku) www.netflix.com/roku or something like that where you'll login to your netflix account on the computer and then enter on the computer the code you see on the television/roku.

You're done.

That last step configures the roku to connect to YOUR netflix account and now you can stream through the roku to your television all the stuff you see on netflix's "play now" list, the stuff with a blue "Play" tab.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
busterb
NSABFD

Tnxs all. Nice to see ya Mitch. Happy New year all
Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
glatt

I've got the Roku 3.

Do any of you Roku gurus know of any way I can stream winter olympic coverage on it? NBC's over the air coverage sucks so much, I want alternatives.

I don't have cable or TV FIOS, but do have data FIOS. I understand that NBC will let you stream if you have cable and use your cable account information to log into their streaming site. That doesn't help me.

I'd be happy to stream BBC or some other English speaking nation's coverage.

It seems like there must be some private channel somewhere that will let you stream the BBC or something. I've got the BBC news channel on Roku, but that's no good since it only reports a summary of each day with a couple short highlight clips, which is even worse than NBCs coverage.

I can poke around Google for an answer, but was hoping somebody already had one figured out here. For the summer olympics two years ago, I found a website that let me stream BBC on our ancient laptop, and that was great, but I'd like to watch on our bigger screen TV through the Roku.

Last edited by glatt; 02-05-2014 at 12:51 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When the Olympics are over, after he's crushed the Ukrainians, Putin's gonna personally kick your ass.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Is there a Roku that can do web browsing, at least to the level of logging into a hotel network? I'd like to take mine on travel, but most hotels don't let you us the internet on a device without a browser.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote