The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-30-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May 31st, 2019: Tornadoes

Rich boy, poor boy, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you.
There is only one thing you can do... hide. That’s your only good option.

From The Atlantic...

Quote:
Every day for nearly two weeks now, severe weather systems have spawned multiple tornadoes across America’s Midwest and Northeast—an average of 27.5 tornadoes a day, according to NBC News. From Oklahoma to New Jersey, storms have been bringing destructive winds and rainfall to small towns, farms, and suburbs, causing at least seven deaths and leaving behind ruined buildings, power outages, and the threat of flooding. Gathered here: images of some of the cities and towns affected by this tornado outbreak over the past 13 days.
Don't make the mistake of thinking it's just trailer parks, I'm safe in a real building.

If you drive at 100 mph (161 kph) there’s no using hand signals, and your dog won’t stick his head out the window(more than once).
Now imagine wind two or three times that fast.

The other problem is the debris the wind carries with it. We’ve seen pictures of a piece of straw through a board, and trees impaled
by 2x4s, but I don’t know if this picture says more about the power of the storm or quality of construction.

It’s easy to see how a tornado could tear across the west where it’s flat, but in 2011 I took these pictures of the aftermath
of a tornado that tore across western MA. It started at about 50 ft elevation, took the side off that house at about 275 ft elevation.
Then it tore over the mountain gap at 800 ft elevation where the other pictures were taken. After that it continued up and down
for another 25 or 30 miles. So it appears terrain isn’t much help.

Tornadoes seem to be a North American thing, maybe the commies are doing it. Trump could ask his buddy Putin to turn it off.
Or we could put some serious effort into stopping the climate shift.

In the meantime hide.

PS, elspode said he had one close to him.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
glatt

The crazy thing is that they are so incredibly powerful in such a small focused area. Houses next door are perfectly fine when yours gets obliterated. Or vice versa.

[/Captain Obvious]
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Who was it here who believed that tornadoes were attracted to large aggregations of metal and electricity?

Was that Snakeadelic?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I miss Snakeadelic.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

She was always entertaining, but certainly out there.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

She also (apparently) thought that if she continued to put a Blu-Ray disc in her PlayStation 2, that one day it would play.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:44 AM   #7
SPUCK
Professor

Quote:
In the meantime hide.
Or live in a new Florida home.

I was helping a lady with her new tiny house that was having wind driven rain come thru her front door. It's not like a normal house where you grumble about the front foyer having a bit of puddling it's more like the kitchen, living-room, and bedroom all get it at once.

As I'm researching a solution I discover Florida! Well, actually building codes for Florida. Because of hurrycanes and the damage they do to houses they've come up with rules for things like windows and front doors. Apparently front doors now open outward instead of inward. This is so the harder the wind blows the more tightly the door gaskets get smushed. This is completely the opposite of everywhere else where the inward opening doors uncompress the door seals the harder the wind blows. Furthermore, the only thing holding an inward door shut becomes the door latch! The rest of the door can bend inward allowing wind driven rain easy access whereas an outward opening door has the entire door perimeter to support the door. Doors and windows also have to take a 100MPH 2 by 4s spearing them.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:53 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Doors and windows also have to take a 100MPH 2 by 4s spearing them.
Windows?!??
Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Shirley Not.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Building Code
The Florida Building Code (FBC) requires windows to be impact-resistant or protected if located within one mile of the coast where the wind speed is 110 mph or greater.
But it's not as crazy as it sounds. Most car windshields are impact-resistant. They get shatter-y spiderwebs, but the plastic coating doesn't let them collapse.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
SPUCK
Professor

Oh oh! They also now put the front doors down a 10ft hallway to limit the projectile aperture.

Be that makes for nice aesthetics. LOL
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Limits the floor plan, I'd say.