The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Please kill me

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Sigh...

I need a different job.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
infinite monkey

Wow, I really thought people would jump at the chance. Eh, it's me, I can 'take it.'

I ran into a girl I worked with at the old college. She'd been fired some time ago (imho it was another case of not using a person for their strengths; customer service was not her strength) and now she's working in warehousing, has lost about 60 lbs, looks AWESOME and happy. She says she's virtually stress-free.

Second person I know who has expressed as much. Their stomach doesn't hurt every Sunday night. They dont have a constant wrinkled forehead or frequent muscle spasms in their shoulders. They go to work, only get yelled at if they've fucked up, and aren't expected to do the work of more than one person.

Money isn't everything, I know...but living does cost money, and all the bills and repairs and maintenance crap is mine only to bear. So how could I take a paycut?

I don't know what to do.

[/whine]
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"Please kill me"

No.

I prefer you alive.

#

"I don't know what to do."

Two lists...

-What you 'need'.

-What you 'want'.

Satisfy the need; discard the want.

A lot of what a body 'wants' (and thinks he or she 'needs') is irrelevant (or, an albatross 'round the neck).
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

any job in today's economy is a blessing. that being said, life is too short to be miserable everyday. a catch 22 so to say. i'm happier now that i am no longer in a high stress job, but at the same time i miss it so much....... the adrenalin rush and the power.

don't know what to say
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Lamplighter

IM, with all your experience it seems to me you could start a moon-lighting
consulting business for parents of college-bound students.

This path of moon-lighting consulting worked wonders for me.
I was in a job I hated, and would wake up in a good mood,
but become an evil SOB by the time I arrived at work.

By moon-lighting, the regular job keeps the $ coming in, as needed,
so there is little risk if the new path doesn't work out well enough.
But if it does work out, gradually your independence increases until you can quit
the regular job saying "I'm done here.", but you still have the personal and professional contacts.

And... if your new business goes really well and you can train a couple of other people,
eventually you can sell the business and make out like a tall-dog.
... and there's no daily commuting
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
infinite monkey

But what is living? If I go back to a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle...one can't afford to pay for 'needs', like a reliable car, to get to the place that pays you so you can pay for 'needs.'

A car is just an example. Sure, a lot of people get by with a beater: and work on cars or have friends who work on cars or SOs who work on cars.

Furnace needs fixed: how would I pay for that on 10 bucks an hour? I don't have a furnace friend. Bathroom floor needs replaced. I don't have a (reliable) carpenter friend. Kitchen sink needs work. I don't have a plumber friend.

And frankly I don't like asking people for help anyway, playing the 'poor silly girl' routine.

Sarge: I know. I hear you loud and clear. I'm told how 'lucky' I am. I know that. But I'm miserable. Not because I don't like the work but because I can't do anything well because I'm expected to do way too much. That makes me apprehensive, that gives me anxiety. I don't like doing half-assed jobs and that's all I can do here, just trying to keep my head above water.

I guess I can still hold on, hoping some change will come from the whole consultant thing, though I've not heard ANYTHING about it yet.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

What have you got in savings? Is there someone you can live with? While two can not live as cheaply as one, the real number is somewhere between one and two. Quality of life really does matter whether it's overlooked or not, and job satisfaction is a big component of that, since it makes up so much of our lives. Of course you know this. Perhaps you're overstating or overimagining what it costs to live and could get by on dramatically less, I don't know. By way of analogy, when I go camping, I sometimes think, "Oh, I wish I'd brought X along". I very rarely think, "I wish I'd carried the weight of X all week long so I could have it now." I *never ever* think I had a poor vacation because I didn't bring along X.

Hm. Maybe not a great analogy. I will tell you having been out of work for a long time now, it is possible to live very economically without suffering, but some stuff *definitely* gets left behind.

I hope you feel better about work. I've had superstressfull work conditions and NO amount of money could have made it better. ONLY increased time and space between me and that environment and those people improved the situation for me. Regrettably, this meant no income. Still worth it.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
IM, with all your experience it seems to me you could start a moon-lighting
consulting business for parents of college-bound students.

This path of moon-lighting consulting worked wonders for me.
I was in a job I hated, and would wake up in a good mood,
but become an evil SOB by the time I arrived at work.

By moon-lighting, the regular job keeps the $ coming in, as needed,
so there is little risk if the new path doesn't work out well enough.
But if it does work out, gradually your independence increases until you can quit
the regular job saying "I'm done here.", but you still have the personal and professional contacts.

And... if your new business goes really well and you can train a couple of other people,
eventually you can sell the business and make out like a tall-dog.
... and there's no daily commuting
I have, absolutely, thought about consulting work. There are even some companies who hire consultants to process stuff from home. You are basically running your own business though...the way I interpret it...no bennies or anything like that.

Never thought about it as part-time to see if it would work out.

Oh yeah, I need a new computer though. I don't have a techie friend either.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

furnace plumber carpenter computer....

Maybe it's not the job... sounds like you need new friends!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
infinite monkey

The thought did occur to me!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
infinite monkey

Oh, and for clarification: in the past couple months two long term employees resigned, one part-timer quit, and they strung out my best buddy for months...following procedure so they could get rid of her. She's now gone. Poof. After almost 20 years.

It's not just me...my family seems to think it is. They say things like "well ANY job blah blah blah..." Yes I know that. I know they don't call it 'fun'. I don't come into 'fun' every day. But this is unprecedented crap...in all the varied jobs I've had since I was a youngster...I've not seen anything quite like this.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
infinite monkey

Sarge: the roommate idea is implausible for a few reasons...one being I don't have room for a whole other person in my little place.

And now I better get back at it.

Thanks folks.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

Infi...... I don't know what to say. Sorry. but killing you would resolve little and require a road trip that I don't have time for right now. Would it hurt to register with an agency like manpower? They might be able to find you something in a diffeent field requiring similar skills?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
infinite monkey

There's an opening at a college near Ann Arbor...right up my alley (HA! So was this supposed to be but I spend more time on things not on my PDQ than I do on the job I was hired to do.)

So Imma apply then move in with monster/beest.

How's that sound, y'all?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
infinite monkey

That was serendipity right thar!