The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
Yeah Shel, he wants to go to China. I don't think I can afford that.
How about a nice Chinese restaurant.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

A great piece of luggage and a reason to use it? Tickets to DC for the Smithsonian's museums or other memory-creating experience. And a big Happy Birthday from the Cellar!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I checked out Skydiving. That's $200 a pop (for noob tandem drops) and doesn't include gear rental. Hmmm, that would have been cool. I may still go that route. But I wanted to go too!. Oh well. One day, before I die.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
I checked out Skydiving. That's $200 a pop (for noob tandem drops) and doesn't include gear rental. Hmmm, that would have been cool. I may still go that route. But I wanted to go too!. Oh well. One day, before I die.
Why can't you? or isn't skydiving with mom cool?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #20
monster
I hear them call the tide

two people = twice the price

I liked Toad's idea.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Engraved Replica Marine Sword

KABAR Knife Letter Opener

Actually,they have letter openers for all of the knives/swords of all of the branches.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 04-28-2009 at 09:18 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #22
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I still have the knife my dad got me for my 21st - I rarely use it, but I still see it quite often. One of my most treasured keepsakes.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #23
glatt

I was never given a knife, but I inherited my grandfather's pocket knife. While it's too big to carry everyday, I do keep it on my dresser and use it at home fairly often. The company doesn't exist anymore, but it's very similar to a Case knife with a bone handle, tooled to look like antler. It's nice.

When I graduated college, my parents gave me a Windsor style rocking chair with the school emblem on it. I like that a lot. It's comfortable and looks good. I found the website, and they take personal orders too and will engrave anything you want on it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #24
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

For our kids 18th BD we gave them a one day tandem sky diving lesson and paid to have a video made of it during the jump. Quite memorable for all.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #25
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

We went parachuting, and it was fantastic. The photos (taking from a camera mounted to the airplane's wing) hang next to a photo from our wedding. We call it the "Taking the Plunge" display. It has been years, yet I still want to jump around when I talk about parachuting. It would be a great gift if he's interested at all.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #26
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Ooooohhh, I really like the sword replica and "letter opener". I'll bet he would too.

I wanted to thank those who suggested a telescope, as well. I've bought him several over the years and while initially fascinated with them, he seems to rapidly lose interest. Same with microscope and/or chemistry things.

So...

Engraved box

or

Skydiving day

or

military-style sharp object....
Old 04-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #27
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Firearms make a lovely gift, and are easily engravable.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #28
Tulip
Professor

Quote:
The pocketknife isn't a bad idea either. I don't know what brand/spec good, quality knives are, however. Any suggestions on what's good?

The Maglite won't work because he already has a top of the line light. I dunno how many exactly, but it has some mega candle power and is insanely hot/bright. He and his friends play 'manhunt' with it (a very complex game involving night time, cars, hunted, hunters and the spotlights ).
What is his or your idea of top of the line? If he's a flashaholic, he can never have enough lights. I have a few but would still love to get another very good one. If he already has Surefire and other very good manufactured ones out there, how about a very good custom light? How about a titanium light? Actually these lights are extremely expensive. I just couldn't resist responding to the topic of flashlights, hehe.

As for knives, so many pretty ones about there. Hmm....that I'm gonna ask a friend. Or you can to the the Blade forum and ask them. I know of another blade forum but forgot the name. Personally, I wouldn't mind receiving a knife either. As a side note, Asians believe it's unlucky to receive knives as gift.

And as a personal opinion, I also like the skydiving idea.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #29
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Personally, I wouldn't mind receiving a knife either. As a side note, Asians believe it's unlucky to receive knives as gift.
That's also a Jewish superstition. Some people who give knives as gifts tape pennies to the box so the recipient can 'pay' for the knives.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote