The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #61
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Yes indeed...there's all kinds of things you can do including paths and tours; I've only scratched the surface.
I need to learn how to do paths. I find paths much more interesting than placemarks.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #62
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I need to learn how to do paths. I find paths much more interesting than placemarks.
Yeah, me too. I want to do the GFW HST rides out and back, my wanderings in London, and the famous Mumbles Pub Crawl.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #63
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
....where a scrap metal dealer is currently up on charges of bludgeoning to death three generations of a family......With a bar of scrap metal, naturally... :-)
You know I have to ask.

Have they outlawed scrap metal yet?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #64
MaggieL

I can't beleive I was in Wales and missed this...

See also: http://www.creativepaperwales.co.uk/

Old 09-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #65
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:

See also: http://www.creativepaperwales.co.uk/

eww..or was that ewe.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:34 AM   #66
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It makes sense really - when it comes down to it it's only grass after all. Very interesting though, might see if I can get hold of some.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #67
skysidhe

Quote:

well, yesterday I was going to say. I can't believe I missed YOU when you were in Wales but I didn't want to appear to be kissing your ass.

I hate ass kissers so take if for what it's worth. :p since my attempt at humor failed.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #68
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry, just went over my head!
Sure other people got it
Old 09-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #69
skysidhe

an ewe is a sheep ? get it eww...or ewe??
Old 09-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #70
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
I can't believe I missed YOU when you were in Wales
I didn't know you were in Wales. Althoough I certainly didn't get around much; I was hazardous enough on foot. I didn't want to subject UK drivers to my wrong-handedness behind the wheel; I wasn't there long enough to properly adjust.

Or did you mean missed me posting here? T'was only a few days...and I'd expected to have Internet access in Mumbles. But it turned out that "wideband internet available" meant "the desk clerk has a cable modem". I had wireless in my room in London though.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #71
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
I was hazardous enough on foot. I didn't want to subject UK drivers to my wrong-handedness behind the wheel; I wasn't there long enough to properly adjust.
I visited Edinburgh once on business and they stuck me with a stick shift. I can drive stick, but shifting with the left hand, in addition to the mirror image thing, was a challenge. Luckily, the gas, brake, and clutch were in the usual positions or I'd be dead now.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #72
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
I visited Edinburgh once on business and they stuck me with a stick shift. I can drive stick, but shifting with the left hand, in addition to the mirror image thing, was a challenge. Luckily, the gas, brake, and clutch were in the usual positions or I'd be dead now.
I worry about sometime being in the right-hand seat of an aircraft where the pilot in command (who traditionally sits in the left-hand seat in airplanes) becomes incapacitated. I'm used to having the throttle in my right hand during approach.

If you think mixing up clutch and accelerator is bad, think about an airplane on approach...pushing with the throttle hand adds power, pushing with the stick/yoke hand puts the nose down.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #73
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

My biggest difficulty was as a pedestrian. I had been warned that the road belongs to the cars, and that the only safe place to cross would be at a "zebra crossing". Fair enough, but you still have to look before you cross the street, right? Well all my insticts were sdrawkcab-ssa and I *always* started by looking to my left as I started into the street. It's a doggone miracle I wasn't found dead in the crosswalk with tire tracks running up the back of my American head.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #74
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Well all my insticts were sdrawkcab-ssa and I *always* started by looking to my left as I started into the street.
Most of the zebras in London have been thoughtfully painted "LOOK LEFT" or "LOOK RIGHT" as appropriate right on the edge of the street pavement.

I guess they got tired of hosing all the Yanks who looked the wrong way off the street. :-)

Actually, I must say London drivers are extremely courteous to pedestrians. Which is a good thing, because the congenstion charges have reduced the traffic to levels at which some insanely high speeds are possible on very metropolitan streets. I was amazed at how quickly London traffic moves...