The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

View Poll Results: Do you let your kids dye their hair?
Yes, but only with temporary dyes. 0 0%
Yes, they're only young once. 2 66.67%
Yes, for other reasons. 0 0%
No, I don't want chemicals on their head. 0 0%
No, they can do it when they are old enough to care for it. 0 0%
No, for other reasons. 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

Do you let your kids dye their hair?

A while back there was a news story about a girl with "unicorn hair". The mom got a lot of back lash for dying her daughters hair like that.

Link to the mom's Instagram.

When I was in high school, my Dad let me dye my hair all kinds of colors. I bleached it and dyed it myself. Pink, purple, green, green with pink streaks, blue with green streaks, purple with blue streaks, pink with purple streaks... many different versions. I even was called the "green haired girl" because I changed schools in my Junior year and didn't know anyone. My hair stood out. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but really only got a year out of it before I had to dye it brown to get a job.

My daughter is 4 years old. Naturally blonde. She loves pink (like many girls do). She has asked me at length for pink hair. I'm considering giving her temporary pink hair dye. No bleach, and starting out with streaks of the temporary pink to see if she likes it. At first I thought she was too young, but really, when is the best time to experiment with fun colors? When she gets older the schools probably won't allow it. When she is an adult she most likely won't be able to do it with her job (unless she lucks out and finds an employer that doesn't judge, or possibly decides to be a stay at home mom). Since I'm not applying "harsh" dyes, just temporary ones, I don't see the harm. I think she will love it.

I'm curious... any dwellers ever considered doing something similar with your kids? What are your thoughts on the matter?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

These days, hair coloring is like tattooing without the long term permanence. I would prefer to advise temporary dyeing (no matter what age) as a way to experiment with the different colors and learn about how you feel about it.

Your daughters very light blond hair makes this really easy to do. Go for it. Perhaps it will giver her an early feel into the transitional reality of appearance.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Mine never asked, so I don't know.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My kids' school wouldn't allow it, but I would let them do the wash-out kind if they wanted.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Mine are all much older ... not up to me anymore.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

Given that my hair is purple, blue and red it would be kind of hypocritical not to allow them to two of them did. Once. They're all swimmers/water poloists so it's really kind of pointless. Of course this is historical now -two are adults
Old 07-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I always enjoyed seeing what color Sundae's hair was on any given day...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
These days, hair coloring is like tattooing without the long term permanence. I would prefer to advise temporary dyeing (no matter what age) as a way to experiment with the different colors and learn about how you feel about it.

Your daughters very light blond hair makes this really easy to do. Go for it. Perhaps it will giver her an early feel into the transitional reality of appearance.
temporary dyes have a tendency to be kind of permanent on blondes, so IMO you either go for it or you don't ...but always remember -like P&me said- hair grows out. Summer break is the perfect time to play. We definitely see more rainbows and mohawks round here over the break
Old 07-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I sort of wondered about that...so it doesn't fade all the way? But still, I would think it would be easy to change up colors with lighter hair.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #10
monster

No, it kind of leaves them looking gray, mostly. And permanent dyes do fade with sun and chlorine.... but are generally brighter to start with and last a little longer
Old 07-09-2017, 01:42 AM   #11
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Mine never asked, so I don't know.
I picked NO on the poll as I dont have any..... (Ah man!!)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:42 AM   #12
Paul582
Kinda New Member

Yes but temporary dyes, because they are very young (3 and 5). I see no problem with it and the girls love it. If your daughter loves pink then go for it and dye her hair. She will be delighted.
Paul582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

to the Cellar, Paul!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #14
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Welcome ashore Paul!!!!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote