The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #331
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Do I also get tequila? I'm in.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #332
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

In like Flint.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #333
Flint
Snowflake

Incidentally (inside Austin reference here) I just found out that Cafe Java is BYOB (!)

So I walked next door to the liquor store and got a couple of little tiny bottles of Crown (!)

In other words,

IT'S ON.

LIKE DONKEY KONG, motherƒuckers.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #334
Lamplighter

Isn't it that way all over Texas ?

When we lived in Dallas, you could not go into a club or bar(?) and buy a mixed drink.

It was BYOB in a paper sack from the liquor store.
You gave your bottle to the bar tender and your drink was mixed.
You charged the same amount as if the club had provided the booze
Then you got you bottle back where you were ready to leave.

It was a crazy system, and maybe (hopefully) things have changed since the '60's
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #335
Flint
Snowflake

Not only do I not know what you're talking about, but I only got up from laying in bed watching Bill Hicks to have another Crown and anxiolytic, and smoke a cigar on the balcony.

I will say, however, that all the best songs have James Ingram in them. Fact.

But seriously, no. There are some places, like restaurants (and who decided how the ƒuck that is spelled?) which are BYOB because they don't have the license to sell liquor. But they don't take your hooch and mix it for you (?) and they only charge you for "set-ups" if you ask, i.e. a glass with ice and coke, etc.

And God I can't imagine what Dallas would have been like in the 60s. They probably had the legal right to bash your knee-caps with a billy club if your moustache wasn't trimmed properly, or your shirt wasn't tucked in. :::shudder:::
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #336
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Then you got you bottle back where you were ready to leave.
So you can drive with an open container in the car.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #337
Lamplighter

Remember this posting at the beginning of the Snowden affair with Wikileaks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
The Guardian has a more detailed discussion of this shut-down and of Silent Circle...

The Guardian
Spencer Ackerman
8/9/13

Lavabit email service abruptly shut down citing government interference
A judge has unsealed documents in the case related to this event,
and this 2-page article has a fascinating account of how Ladar Levison
maintained his integrity while fighting the feds, by ending up having
to close his business... the email service, Lavabit.

Well worth the read...

NY Times

By NICOLE PERLROTH and SCOTT SHANE
October 2, 2013

As F.B.I. Pursued Snowden, an E-Mail Service Stood Firm
Quote:
One day last May, Ladar Levison returned home to find
an F.B.I. agent’s business card on his Dallas doorstep.
So began a four-month tangle with law enforcement officials that would end
with Mr. Levison’s shutting the business he had spent a decade building
and becoming an unlikely hero of privacy advocates in their escalating battle
with the government over Internet security.

But they wanted more, he said: the passwords, encryption keys and computer code
that would essentially allow the government untrammeled access to the protected messages
of all his customers. That, he said, was too much.

“You don’t need to bug an entire city to bug one guy’s phone calls,”
Mr. Levison, 32, said in a recent interview. “In my case, they wanted to break open
the entire box just to get to one connection.”
<snip>
When it was clear Mr. Levison had no choice but to comply,
he devised a way to obey the order but make the government’s intrusion more arduous.
On Aug 2, he infuriated agents by printing the encryption keys
— long strings of seemingly random numbers — on paper in a font
he believed would be hard to scan and turn into a usable digital format.
Indeed, prosecutors described the file as “largely illegible.”
<snip>

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #338
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

And so the war continues. The Senate Intelligence committee has been investigating CIA activities concerning kidnapping, extraordinary rendition, secret prisons, and torture. All that Obama halted when he took office. Apparently the committee, using computer sleigh of hand or a leaker, has obtain CIA documents that show damnnig facts well beyond what the CIA wanted to admit.

So the CIA used the secret intelligence gathering system to collect all Senate investigators communications. Obviously without any court order. A war has broken out between the CIA and the Senators resonsible for knowing everything the CIA is doing. The Justice Department is now investigating both the CIA and Senate Intelligence Committee. Because all are accused of violating laws - that we did not know about until Snowden exposed all these "Patriotic" Actions.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #339
tw

From CBS News of 12 March 2014: Why Sen. Dianne Feinstein declared war on the CIA

Extremists in government (including Cheney) said if you were not an American citizen, then kidnapping anywhere in the world was legal, put you in a secret prision, deny you existed, torture you, and do so for as long as they wanted. Extremists Republican lawyers even wrote findings that said it was acceptable. The Senate finally started investigating in 2006 what became normal operation in the CIA many years earlier. And so a war has started. Some 'sneakies' fear you might learn of their Gestapo attitudes.

But then back in 2003, some even in the Cellar approved of their activities. Since non-Americans are second class people.
Quote:
These are public accusations of criminal activity and a cover-up. It's a class of warfare that people have been craving since Snowden started leaking secrets about the U.S. surveillance state. Whether you think the intelligence agencies have gone too far or not, it's important to have the people's representatives battling for their right to do the job the Constitution puts before them. Otherwise the system gets out of whack. That was one of the lessons of Snowden's revelations and it's also the point of the story Feinstein took to the Senate floor to tell.
How does one get on the CIA's enemies list. Echelon. Echelon. Echelon. And I do not even have Ruby Slippers.

Last edited by tw; 03-12-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #340
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Extremists in government (including Cheney) said if you were not an American citizen, then kidnapping anywhere in the world was legal, put you in a secret prision, deny you existed, torture you, and do so for as long as they wanted. Extremists Republican lawyers even wrote findings that said it was acceptable.
So I just took a stroll down memory lane. Bad times.

I'm not sure if it was worse then or if it's just that we aren't examining things as closely now. We don't have people like White House counsel Alberto Gonzales saying torture is OK and that the Geneva Conventions are "quaint." So that's good, but we do have drones assassinating enemies at the push of a button. And no privacy from our spying government.

I pleased that Feinstein is doing this. A little transparency is a good thing for a nation.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #341
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Wow, there is just so much to read here. Am I the only ass hole who thinks that this guy and Snowden took an oath to NOT reveal information under their care? Does every one not realize that there were other avenues of approach for these two rather than sell or give this information to the world at large? Am I the only guy who thinks that they did, in fact, harm the United States, the reason this information was classified in the first place?

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #342
glatt

I think that too. Snowden is a traitor to his government. But he's also a hero for shining a light on this. He's both.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #343
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
Does every one not realize that there were other avenues of approach for these two rather than sell or give this information to the world at large?
Did you forget lessons of Watergate, Pentagon Papers, et al? Did you ignore the larger criminals who violated their job and our trust by excercising unrestricted violations of Federal and Constitutional laws? Snowden is a little guy. Who are these people so corrupt as to now even attack or mistrust their strongest supporter in the Senate? People with such power who are also paranoid are somehow good?

America has a long history of people violating laws in order to protect American freedoms. Or did you forget Nixon intentionally tried to subvert the government of the US and the principles upon what makes democracy work? Had so many little people not violated rules and laws, then Nixon and his anti-American cronies would have gotten away with it ... and more.

If you think only laws matter, then you forget about so many criminals in American history including Washington, Franklin, Adams, Jefferson, and Hamilton who even conspired with the enemy (The French) to create principles we now worship.

Why was so much of what Nixon did classified? Why were the entire Pentagon Papers classified? Learn what is more important than a few laws. We have, potentially, a greatest threat to the principles of the US by people who can and do manipulate and destroy lives ... as J Edgar Hoover did. What he did also was classified. How many avenues of approach existed in that case?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #344
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
Am I the only ass hole who thinks that this guy and Snowden took an oath to NOT reveal information under their care?
Oath? You mean the Eula, the Terms of Service, nobody takes those seriously.