The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Baseball 2007

It's about that time again. What's the prognosis for your favorite team?
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I predict that my favorite team, the Kansas City Royals, will once again be the worst team in professional baseball...and probably amateur baseball, as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I will steadfastly root for the Cubs, as always. Not expect much, despite ever high hopes, but root just the same.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:37 AM   #4
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

KC really frustrates be Elspode. Yes, I know their payroll is minuscule but they have not done much to warrant success. They finally spend some cash and it's to land... GIL MECHE?! Develop the farm, sign somebody that will draw fans or help the team. Geez.

It'll be interesting to see how the Cubs do this year. With a good manager and healthy arms they could be good. But as you say, Wolf, never expect much with them.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
W.HI.P
Free

I think the Cubs have a pretty good shot at winning their pennant.
In the East the Mets will have an even easier year than last.
The Dodgers are kinda iffy, but still, you'd have to like them over the other teams in the division.
Watch for Clevland this year to have its nose in front in the American central, despite Detroit, Minnesota and the white sox looking so strong. The east is always interesting, Yankees, boston and Toronto will be tighter this year than last, with Toronto this year putting in a serious challenge.
I'm an Angels fan, and I have to say that the team is world series material.
Personally, i will go to at least 20 games this year, mostly early in the season.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

I intend to hit some games in Scranton /Wilkes-Barre. They are the new Yankee AAA club. There will be very good pitching there early this year. When the oldsters start breaking down, the Yanks will be bringing folks up. One way or another the Yanks need to get younger. It may take a bunch of broken down pitchers...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

If the whole year were spring training I'd say the Reds have a good chance!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Cardinals...of course. Walt Jocketty is a fucking genius...the most mundane pickups wind up becoming extraordinary here.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Here's what I see (not factoring in unexpected injuries)...

NL West - Does anybody really care? I'm leaning Padres although the Dodgers could take it.

NL Central - Cardinals. I believe the Texas ballparks diminish the impact of good players there; consequently they'll be good but not good enough to overcome the world series champs. Cincy could make second place interesting however. The Cubs have too many question marks although if everything falls right they could do well.

NL East - Mets, although it will be more competitive. Atlanta should do a bit better and Philly will be over .500.

AL East - It's all money. Depending on injury it will be Red Sox or Yankees with Toronto keeping close.

AL Central - Wow, so many good teams. I thought Cleveland would do better last year but their pitching gave out. They'll improve but it's still a Tigers / Twins race in my eyes. Tigers take it having the best pitching staff in baseball.

AL West - I positively hate the Angels but can't let that color the forecast. The A's will be competitive as always but the Angels simply have better bats and pitching. It will all be for naught if they don't learn to field however. Rangers have made good moves again, but once again do the Texas ballpark effect it won't do that much good. Seattle on the bottom again.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #10
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Right now I live in Minnesota so a lot of the people around me are rooting for the Twins so I will tend to follow them but not necessarily root for them. When I go back to Wisconsin I will be around fake Brewers fan so then I will actually cheer for the Twins.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #11
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Right now I live in Minnesota so a lot of the people around me are rooting for the Twins so I will tend to follow them but not necessarily root for them. When I go back to Wisconsin I will be around fake Brewers fan so then I will actually cheer for the Twins.
I can truly understand where you're coming from
Old 03-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #12
Hyoi
Faithful Companion

H-Town

I think there's something about Houston, TX, an otherwise busy, bustling, upbeat city, that forces professional sports general managers and owners to suffer irreversible brain damage. It seems that utter stupidity is a requirement for these positions. The Astros have literally traded away several allstar teams over the years, but I foolishly cling to hope. If Willie Taveras and Jason Schmidt become allstars, I think I'll take up golf.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyoi
...Houston, TX, an otherwise busy, bustling, upbeat city...
Ugh, ever actually been there? There's nothing upbeat about that place. Aggressive, desperate, and soul-crushing, yes...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #14
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

“If I owned Hell and Texas I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”
Philip Henry Sheridan
Old 03-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
Hyoi
Faithful Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Ugh, ever actually been there? There's nothing upbeat about that place. Aggressive, desperate, and soul-crushing, yes...
Lived and earned an above average salary there for some twenty five years. Sorry to hear you had such a tough time of it. Maybe it was the traffic. Try the roundabouts in Leeds, England, if you think H-Town's rough.

It really is a terrific sports town, if one can suffer the fools that run the pro teams.