Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Supplements make you less healthy.

Use of multi-vitamins showed increased death by prostate cancer in men

Quote:
Heavy multivitamin users were almost twice as likely to get fatal prostate cancer as men who never took the pills, concludes the study in Wednesday's Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

Here's the twist: Overall, the researchers found no link between multivitamin use and early-stage prostate cancer.

The researchers speculate that perhaps high-dose vitamins had little effect until a tumor appeared, and then could spur its growth.
Your body is a complex system. Everything is connected to everything else.

You may notice that if you put a gallon of drain cleaner down your drain, it will cause your drain to become unclogged. So if you put 100 gallons of drain cleaner down the drain every day, will it

A) cause your drain to never become clogged again?

B) double your drain's normal capacity?

C) eat through your pipes and contaminate your ground water if not your entire house?

You may notice that if you eat a good amount of vitamin A, that you retain the ability to see at night longer than your peers who don't. So, do you then megadose vitamin A?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
You may notice that if you eat a good amount of vitamin A, that you retain the ability to see at night longer than your peers who don't. So, do you then megadose vitamin A?
No, because then you fuck with the clotting factor in your blood, IIRC.

I take a vitamin occasionally...maybe one or two a week. And I actually feel better than when I was taking them regularly.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

L-Glutamine
lethicin
Ester-C
MegaMonster B! (all the B's you'll ever need!)
Folic Acid

I'm taking a doctor prescribed 'drug-vacation'---no Rx's, all vitamins (in prescribed amounts) and thirty min. daily exercise (fate worse than death). I'll let you know how it turns out.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #19
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
Jeb, what the fugg do most of those things do???

Cinnamon
Cayenne
Calcium
Oregano oil
Caprylic acid
Ginger
Olive leaf
Turmeric
Garlic
Pau D'arco
Rosemary
Cinnamon keeps your blood sugar in check. Ginger is great for your digestion. Garlic is supposed to be good for your cholesterol levels, but I read about a recent study showing that this might not be the case, so who knows. Cayenne and Turmeric give me a buzz...woo hoo! Not sure what the others are used for.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #20
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Thanks Blue

The Oregano Oil and Caprylic Acid??
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:30 AM   #21
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Both caprylic acid and oregano oil are said to be antibacterial. In my experience that holds true; the caprylic acid moreso than the oregano oil.

Last edited by WabUfvot5; 05-17-2007 at 12:31 AM. Reason: what herb can help me spell correctly?
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:53 AM   #22
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
caprylic acid and oregano oil are said to be antibacterial
As is drain cleaner. But your body needs bacteria, it's part of the complex system.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

I've been off all supplements for a few months now. I just don't want my liver working that hard. I started on them to see if they would improve my skin. They didn't.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I've been off all supplements for a few months now. I just don't want my liver working that hard. I started on them to see if they would improve my skin. They didn't.
What don't you like about your skin?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

I was tempted to try to be funny and go racial on this but in the post Imus world, let's just stick to the issue which is eczema.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

My son suffers from eczema, too. When it gets really bad (in the winter, usually) he puts Elidel on it which helps.

—James Barrie

Old 05-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #27
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I'd forgotten that flax seed helps my skin a lot. I think I'll start eating it again...my skin's been kind of blah.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #28
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
As is drain cleaner. But your body needs bacteria, it's part of the complex system.

Sure, that might hold true if everything is working right. That is not always the case however.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

But the twist is the prostate cancer case I posted above. There, multi-vitamins had no effect until there was something working wrong - a tumor - which the supplements made stronger and thus more deadly.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:39 AM   #30
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Sure, not all supplements are good and some can be harmful. That doesn't mean they should all be painted with the same brush nor should they be considered detrimental in every situation.