The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 02-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Weekend Morning Cartoons

As I sit here, the kids are watching their typical lineup of Sunday morning cartoons. They pretty much stick with Disney channel 100%, which is a shame because I really like some of the shows on Cartoon Network this time of day, but unless I can find something objectionable with what they're watching I really can't tell them what to like.

Anyway, I like "Stanley" and "Rolie Poly Olie" a lot... but "Higglytown Heroes" and "Go Baby!" and "Shanna's Show" drive me up the freaking wall. And I don't think I would have liked them when I was a kid, either.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't think they make cartoons they way they used to.

There was something special about the bad animation, but moderately good story writing of the cartoons of my youth ... that's how I remember them anyway.

Ah, the days where the notion of coming up with the merchandising first and the stories afterward was just being developed.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I've been enjoying the Batman The Animate Series for a while now. I just bought the second volume, which brings my total to 56 episodes, I also have the first volume of Superman TAS which is really good as well. That whole DC comics string has been really good overall in my opinion. Little Sidhe and I can sit and watch almost indefinitely. Batman Beyond is good as well.

Oh yeah, I have the first and second volume of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection bring me up to 116 epsiodes of Blanc/Jones goodnes.

And the one you proabaly never heard of was the CGI Spider-Man animated series that was on MTV. They cancelled it after one season even though it was very good.

What I ended up doing was using spare parts to build a PC that I placed next to my television and it runs all of those episodes randomly on the 32" so she can enjoy cartoons that I know are good.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

My son and I make a point of watching Teen Titans (Starfire is his girlfriend) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles whenever it's on. I also really enjoy Megas XLR whenever I get a chance to watch it. They tend to play a lot of Looney Tunes too on Saturdays, which is good. My son doesn't know the Disney channel *exists*, for fear that I may be subjected to the wiggles.

I also let him watch Spongebob. Here in Colorado Springs, that makes me a bad daddy.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
And the one you proabaly never heard of was the CGI Spider-Man animated series that was on MTV. They cancelled it after one season even though it was very good.
I think I remember that one. Mostly because I also remember this cartoon version of Spiderman from 1967, with the cheesy rendition of the Spiderman theme song. In the Spiderman II movie two they have a woman plucking out the theme song on a violin.

As for Chuck Jones and Mel Blanc, considering the social impact of their collabaration, they should have their own wing in the Smithsonian.

In addition to one of Mr. Jones autobiographies, I picked up a few copies of this book in the dollar store which combines my interest in the Constitution with fine cartoon illustration.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 02-06-2005 at 04:55 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:58 AM   #6
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I loved watching cartoons on reg channels..... Disney channel doesnt show anything good....

I feel bad for the youth of today watching all this garbage and they thnk its good...... Its complete rubbish compared to what we had.......
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote