The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Duck boat

Why do you suppose that nine out of ten news reports describe the Duckboat as capsizing when it didn't?
It plain old sank, never coming close to overturning.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're fired Jim, we need writers to grab the public by the pussy and keep them hooked. You obviously can't cut it, you want to tell the truth. tsk tsk
Old 07-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
It plain old sank, never coming close to overturning.
Small boats like this have air pockets so that a swamped boat will still remain floating. Why do these boats not have floatation air pockets?

Why do you say it did not capsize when so many reports say otherwise? What is the source or reasoning for that conclusion?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Why do these boats not have floatation air pockets?
You guessed it: Boat in Deadly Missouri Sinking Was Designed by Entrepreneur With No Engineering Training, Court Records Show

Quote:
Why do you say it did not capsize
He says it did not capsize because it did not capsize. Video of the event shows it staying upright and sinking. I won't include the video here, but you can easily find it, just as I did, by searching for "duck boat capsizing".

Quote:
...when so many reports say otherwise?
Hence "The media"

It's offensive that we say "The media" like they operate as one single entity. But they certainly do, eh?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I can't decide between how, as Bruce says, sensational and deadly "capsize" sounds and simple ignorance of the term.

During the gulf oil spill every report for months talked about "syphoning" the oil off the bottom.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

At least more careful news sources like the NY Times will get this sort of thing right (pauses) won't they?
Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
glatt

Do we know it didn't capsize? I've only see one video, and it cuts off before it goes completely underwater.

I'm glad I wasn't there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Not only do they use "capsizes" in the headline, they say "overturned" in the text!
I should have said 99 out of 100 news stories say capsized.
The video I can't get over is one that says "Video shows duckboat capsizing" when it shows it NOT capsizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz1U27zbWXw

I am not a sailor, but photos of duckboats in and out of the water seem to show an very bottom-heavy craft, one not seemingly prone to overturning.

If anyone can find a video or photo showing the boat upside down, please post it.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

My theory: original local reporter doesn't know the difference between capsize and sink. NY Times reporters (and others) essentially re-report local news. NY Times copy editor knows the meaning of the word, and changes an instance of capsize to overturn, to minimize repetition of the word.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
and changes an instance of capsize to overturn, to minimize repetition of the word
Restating it differently strengthens the narrative that it occurred...! The story should probably say "it was reported that the boat capsized".
Old 07-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #11
Happy Monkey

No argument there; too many people taking the last one's statements at face value without doing reporting of their own (or only doing additional reporting around the core story, but re-reporting the core as is). But if someone's doing punctuation, syntax, length, and style (copy editing, rather than editor-editing), they have no reason to think that the narrative that it occurred is suspect.

I am a bit sad at the comments on the YouTube video (not uncommon, I suppose), where people are pissed off that they don't get to see people dying; it's not enough to see it start to sink, and to know that they died. It's like going to a wake and loudly complaining that the buffet is sparse.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 07-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #12
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

All those videos cut off before the boat went down. I see it tilting to port as it was swamped. So it could have swamped and then capsized.

If it only swamped, then passengers could have jumped out of side windows. If it capsized as a swamped boat went down, then passengers could not side exit - may have been trapped.

Every video cuts off only during the swamping.

Plenty of questions await answers.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #13
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
I am not a sailor, but photos of duckboats in and out of the water seem to show an very bottom-heavy craft, one not seemingly prone to overturning.
A wave could tip it. Once underwater, if it's as bottom-heavy as it looks, it would probably right itself as it went to the bottom.
Quote:
If anyone can find a video or photo showing the boat upside down, please post it.
Have any of the survivors weighed in on whether it capsized? News report word choice is probably the last thing on their minds, but it might have been mentioned in passing.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 07-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hmmmm

CBS interview with survivor doesn't say. It could well have listed as it swamped, does that count?
Old 07-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

My theory is that current journalists, and, yes, I'm using that term very loosely, do not understand words. They think 'capsize' and 'sink' are the same things.

I've noticed that a lot of 'journalists' have trouble of using the proper preposition, also.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote