The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

What kind of car did you buy?

Maybe this will be helpful to those considering a new automobile.

Tell us:

Year:
Make:
Model:
Sub model( LX,GT,Base):
Color:
Cylinders:
Transmission:
Notable options accessories (navigation,bike rack, etc)
Financed, leased, paid cash:
Extended warranty?
What other cars did you consider?

Now, why did you choose it? Other than needing a car, and unless it was a gift, or a hand me down.... When you decided to go with your car, what was the one thing that separated it from the others?

Are you happy with your choice at this point? If you could have a do over, would you choose differently?

What will you want different in your next car?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Bloke
Almost normal...

VW
CC
GT
Metallic red
4 pot diesel 140HP
6 speed manual
Nav, front and rear park sensors, heated seats... Lots more toys..
Company supplied
Other choices included Audi, Ford, BMW, Vauxhall and Toyota.

It was a bit of a no-brainer with this choice. It's the comfiest thing I've ever driven and looks ace! If I could choose again, it would be the same but with an ambient lighting pack for the interior.
Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

With teenagers, we are a three car family, Pete has a Subuaru Impreza CVT, my daily driver is a Suzuki SX4, and we have a Toyota pickup to round out the stable.

Year: 2008
Make: Suzuki
Model:SX4
Sub model( LX,GT,Base):
Color:hwhite
Cylinders: 4
Transmission: 5sp
Notable options accessories: standard package
Financed, leased, paid cash: financed then paid off early
Extended warranty? nope
What other cars did you consider? small AWDs due to my home location a valid emotional decision due to my need for seclusion, the SX4 was the least expensive in the class and I work in a terrible inner city neighborhood. Fun story, a new employee bought a very nice new Mazda which the neighborhood kids trashed about the second day he parked there.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Tell us:

Year: 2004
Make: Hyundai
Model: Sonata
Sub model( LX,GT,Base): GLS
Color: Pearlescent White
Cylinders: 6
Transmission: Auto w/ bump shift option
Notable options accessories (navigation,bike rack, etc) Moon roof, heated side mirrors
Financed, leased, paid cash: 4 year note
Extended warranty? comes w/ 10 yr/100k drive train and 5 year/50k bumper to bumper
What other cars did you consider? VW wagon

Now, why did you choose it? Seriously needed a new car.
When you decided to go with your car, what was the one thing that separated it from the others? Warranty and price.

Are you happy with your choice at this point? Ecstatic.
If you could have a do over, would you choose differently? I'd have bought a second one and kept it in storage.

What will you want different in your next car? Heated seats, more leg room, higher windshield. ( I noticed I slouch when driving. If I sit up straight my line of vision is right where the tint meets the clear glass.) better sound system and navigation system.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
glatt

first car was a hand me down from my grandfather. 1982 Buick century. comfortable car but took too long to stop and was too heavy for its 4 cylinder engine.

First car we bought was:
Year: 1996 (New)
Make: Geo
Model: Prizm
Sub model( LX,GT,Base): LSI
Color: Green
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Notable options accessories (navigation,bike rack, etc) LSI meant it came with AC and I think fold down rear seat. Maybe rear defrost too. We paid extra for the ABS, which was brand new back then.
Financed, leased, paid cash: Cash
Extended warranty? No
What other cars did you consider? Corolla, Sentra
Now, why did you choose it? Of the cars we were looking at, it was the most car for the money.

Are you happy with your choice at this point? If you could have a do over, would you choose differently? Love this car. It wound up being too small once we had kids and they reached middle school age, but served us well until then. Now it's a great second car. Love it.

What will you want different in your next car? Go a little bigger.

Our "new" car, which we bought used last year:

Year: 2001 (12 years old!)
Make: Toyota
Model: Camry
Sub model( LX,GT,Base): LE
Color: ugly gray or maybe silver
Transmission: Auto
Notable options accessories (navigation,bike rack, etc) It came with a spoiler
Financed, leased, paid cash: Cash
Extended warranty? No
What other cars did you consider? We were all over the place. Minivans and other Japanese and Korean mid sized sedans. Then we narrowed it down to sedans, and in my area, that meant about 75 or so cars to choose from at our price point. We rejected many based on online pictures and discriptions, and then there was only one left standing, and we test drove it and liked it.

Now, why did you choose it? Other than needing a car, and unless it was a gift, or a hand me down.... When you decided to go with your car, what was the one thing that separated it from the others? It was pretty low miles for the price and age, and was clean and appeared to be in good shape.

Are you happy with your choice at this point? If you could have a do over, would you choose differently? I'm pretty happy. I knew I was buying a used car and it would need some work and have some minor surprises. I changed the fuel filter, and it's run perfectly normally since then.

What will you want different in your next car? I don't like the spoiler or the color, but they are both cosmetic so *shrug*. I miss the manual transmission of the Prizm, but the automatic is good in stop and go traffic.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Year: 1982 (This would've been in about 2000 (?))
Make: Buick
Model: Electra
Sub model( LX,GT,Base): Limited
Color: Money Green
Cylinders: 8 (307 Olds w/electric Quadra-Jet)
Transmission: TH-250
Notable options accessories (navigation,bike rack, etc) Nothing special
Financed, leased, paid cash: Paid Cash ($1600)
Extended warranty? LOL
What other cars did you consider? 1984 Buick Regal

What was the one thing that separated it from the others? Mileage. The Regal had 110k, and looked/felt like a used car lot veteran. The Electra had 66k 1-owner miles, looked and drove like new. And it got 22 mpg to boot. It liked 20 inches being 20 feet long!

Name:  Buick Electra.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  57.9 KB

As for my next car, I'll prolly never own another car. If Grand Cherokee One would get better mileage (currently ~15 mpg), I might never need another vehicle.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

2012 Toyota Sienna, base model I think
Red, automatic, I don't know how many cylinders
Cash, no extended warranty
Knew we wanted a minivan, and was pretty much settled on the Honda Odyssey before I test drove them.

I chose the Toyota because it had a manual sliding door. Only new minivan in the whole damn city with a manual sliding door. This was my deal-breaker feature, because I hate those damn automatic doors.

I am happy, though I still liked my last minivan better, a 2001 Mazda MPV. The MPV had much better rear vision, and was a little smaller and thus easier to park. I would have bought another MPV in a heartbeat if the fuckers hadn't stopped making them.

I expect this car will last us until at least two of our four kids are out of the house, at which point we will downsize to a non-minivan. Oddly enough, I drove a Ford Escape for a few days as a rental when the minivan was in a fender-bender, and I was very surprised how much I liked it. Of course I'm sure they won't be making it anymore by the time I'm finally ready to get another new car.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

We have owned several Toyotas through the years - our first car was a silver 1985 Tercel with 4WD - it was a funky looking car, but we got a deal on it in early 1986 as a demo. 4 cylinders, of course, and stick shift. It was a great little car, fantastic in deep snow (snow tires of course), and gorgeous on gas. We took it to Moosonee and back, and in 1996 it didn't make state inspection ...

So we bought a Corolla. No extra options, totally basic, and it was fantastic. 4 cylinders again, automatic transmission. Bought it off the lot. We, and later our kids, drove it until 2006 when my second son slid slowly into a telephone pole and the repairs would have cost far more than the car was worth.

On to the 2005 4Runner, another demo deal. My favorite vehicle EVER. Automatic transmission, true 4WD, 6 cylinders. My daughter will be bringing it back from CO in January and I want my baby back!!!

In 2011 I went shopping to replace the 4Runner, which I'd just gifted to my daughter. The 2011 4Runner was ugly as sin and a poor descendant of my beautiful SUV. I didn't buy it. I drove everything else out there that I could find, and in the end, ended up with a BMW X5. Ordered it so that it would have the performance guts it was capable of. It's 6 cylinder, auto transmission with paddle shifters, sport suspension, etc. And polka-dot running boards. There were multiple dynamics operating then ... marriage dissolving etc. ... I wouldn't go that high in price again. But it's a lovely vehicle and has been entirely problem-free. However, I still yearn for a pickup with hemi to do stuff around the property and haul farm-type stuff.

We also own a 2009 Hyundai Sonata that is a great car. My 2nd son drives it at the moment. A 2007 Camry that is ditto, even though my third son thinks it's a stodgy old-person's car. A 2002 Mercedes C240 with stick shift that's a lot of fun to drive. A 2011 BMW 535x sedan with lots of options. It's a serious risk for major speeding tickets.

I have no idea what all this says about my/our car buying choices. We've had great experience with Toyotas but also like the other cars we have. It's a matter of practicality - what we need the vehicle for. As I say, a rugged pickup has been slowly taking form in the back of my mind ...
Old 12-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I expect this car will last us until at least two of our four kids are out of the house...
Say what?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The stepkids, I mean. They're 15 and 11 now.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

2004 Ultimate Sedan

Year: 2004
Make: Lincoln
Model: Town Car
Sub model: Ultimate
Color: Silver
Cylinders: 8
Transmission:
Notable options accessories: none, but there is heavy window tint on the windows, which I like.
Financed, leased, paid cash: Financed for 6 years
Extended warranty? Yes
What other cars did you consider? None

What was the one thing that separated it from the others? The ride was like floating on air. It was roomy, comfy, and I could tolerate being in the same vehicle with my squabbling children if I could ride like that.

I bought it in 2007 and it is now paid off. I will never have a car payment again.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The stepkids, I mean. They're 15 and 11 now.
Oh... nevermind.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Nothing rides like a Lincoln.

Why dont Asians get cataracts? Cuz they prefer rinkons.

Solly, rora
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Your choice.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
I chose the Toyota because it had a manual sliding door. Only new minivan in the whole damn city with a manual sliding door. This was my deal-breaker feature, because I hate those damn automatic doors.
The Dodge Grand caravan we bought has all manual doors, this was certainly a feature for us, and cloth seats not leather.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote