The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-21-2003, 07:04 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sexual assault

Grrrr I don't get it.
A 14 yo boy and a 14 yo girl get caught naked in bed before then have sex. They both freely admit sex was there intention and nobody was coerced.
The boy is charged with a serious crime.
The girl is charged with a misdemeanor.
First of all to charge either one is silly, IMO. But the difference in the charges is clearly sexist.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I can't hepl but think there's more to the story that we're getting from this article. I mean, jeez, the boy's dad says he refuses to listen to him... a teenager who won't listen to his parents? Man! We don't have enough jails to lock em all up.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:41 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They both clearly need a knot up side the gourd but I insist they both get the same knot.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
Annebonannie
Paramour of Paradigm

I think it all boils down to the fact that the prosecuter has a deep seated anger that she ended up with a name like Kornblum.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:34 AM   #5
juju
no one of consequence

Another set of lives ruined because of blatant stupidity. Our legal system truly does suck.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:42 AM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

Perhaps there is more to this story than just the sex. But how bad does your kid have to be for you to go and throw them in jail?
Old 08-22-2003, 01:49 AM   #7
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Why didn't I find any 14 yr old girls like that when I was that age????
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:30 AM   #8
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Quote:
"Sex between kids is not legal," said Assistant District Attorney Lori Kornblum

"The reason I charged this case was because of their attitude," Kornblum says. "I believe they had to be brought before an authority."
She sounds like a bitter old hag. I'm reminded of Ms. Crabtree, having recently watched that Southpark episode with the icecream and teetering school bus. I wonder if she's seeking vengeance for not having gotten any as a teen? One must wonder, with a last name like "Kornblum".
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:39 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

"I believe they had to be brought before an authority."

I didn't read the article but I guess its safe to say these children don't have parents?
Old 08-22-2003, 10:53 AM   #10
russotto
Professor

They have parents, but the boy's father hated him enough to tell the prosecutors he was violating a deferred prosecution agreement, and the girl's mother called the cops on them in the first place.

What these kids really needed was to learn about the Fifth Amendment. Specifically, the right to remain silent. If they had refused to tell authorities anything, the authorities would have had no case -- even if they didn't respect the prosecutor's AUTHOWITAY, which seems to be what the case is really about.

Gotta love the bit in the article about "While authorities say their prosecution is meant to help, not punish, the teens". Yeah. Like a felony conviction helps anyone. The only thing more stupid would be if they were charging them as adults.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:12 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In some jurisdictions, a minor charged with a felony sexual assault will still be labeled a "sexual predator" for life, with all that neighbor notification and whatnot.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Another indication of Ms Kornblums repressed hate is that "he" gets felony and "she" gets misdemeanor. Bitch!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:11 PM   #13
juju
no one of consequence

Well of course. Aren't women always being oppressed? He probably led her astray, or something. Damned dirty males.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:45 PM   #14
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Heh, this is cute.
Quote:
Not to punish the children, she said, but to help them through various court-ordered services.
     Don't you wish you had someone willing to help you like that when you were young?

Jokes aside, both kids are clearly fucked up. Maybe their parents didn't care enough or they had bad potty training, don't know, don't care. This got started as a threat and has snowballed strictly because of the way they act. I've known lots of people with abandonment issues and people that were sexually molested at a young age. You know what? They coped as teens and continue to cope without challenging anyone to call the police. Hell, I did lots of stuff as a teen that wasn't, ahem, strictly legal, but if I got caught I didn't talk shit. That's life and if they can't handle it then prison as adults will await them.

And yes Bruce, charging the boy more severely than the girl is bullshit.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:53 PM   #15
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Another indication of Ms Kornblums repressed hate is that "he" gets felony and "she" gets misdemeanor. Bitch!
From the article:
Quote:
The boy is being held in secure detention on a charge of attempted second-degree sexual assault, a felony that carries a possible juvenile prison term.

The girl pleaded guilty to fourth degree sexual assault, a misdemeanor, but is charged with violating her probation; a warrant has been issued for her arrest.
It doesn't say how the boy pleaded. Maybe the girl's less-severe charge is due to a plea bargain?

You simply can't reach the conclusion you're jumping to without more information.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote