The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nov 23rd, 2019 : Indlovu

Indlovu means Elephant in the Zulu language.
Quote:
The idea came to co-founder Paula Ansley after visiting Botlierskop Game Reserve, home to a herd of majestic African elephants. There, the couple learned that only about 30 percent of the animals’ bush diet of fruits, nuts, flowers, leaves, and bark is actually digested. The animals leave behind an undigested mass of flavorful botanicals in their giant clods of poop.
“I woke up to an elbow in the back at 6 a.m.,” remembers Les. “Paula said to me, ‘Why don’t we make gin from the elephant dung?’ and I said, ‘Ah, okay, let’s see about it.”
That sounds to me like a, “Yes Dear”, probably rolling his sleepy eyes.

Quote:
The husband-and-wife team, professors of physiology and immunology respectively, requested a bag of feces from the very reserve that inspired the strange brew in the first place. After much experimenting, they learned that if they dried, washed, sterilized, macerated, and redried the elephantine turds, they were left with an herbaceous smattering of African aromatics that could be safely infused into a base gin. (“Think of it as a teabag,” says Les.) The experiments took place under the watchful eye of South African spirits master Roger Jorgensen. To balance such a counterintuitive flavoring process, the couple needed a truly exceptional product. “If you’re going to make gin from shit, you can’t make a shit gin,” says Les.

Quote:
So far, critical reception is united in praise. Gin connoisseur and South African native Christine Perrett has sampled over 220 gins, the world over. “I’ve got 10, 15 staple bottles I always keep in my cabinet,” she tells me over the phone. “Indlovu would absolutely be one of them. They’ve taken African botanicals and balanced it so well. To be able to take a gin neat says a lot.” This year, the Ansleys’ unthinkable gin won Double Gold at South Africa’s Craft Gin Awards.

The gin is enjoying healthy sales across South Africa and breaking into markets in Germany and Belgium, all while wearing the curious infusion on their sleeve. An elephant graces the label of each bottle of Indlovu, framing the phrase “Elephant-Infused Botanicals.”
They donate 15% of the profits back to African wildlife conservation.

link
Old 11-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Destined to become the favorite drinking game of mounted infantry: Dung-gins and Dragoons
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Gin from elephant shit.

No.

Fuck no.

I ain't drinking that shit.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
sexobon

Adds a new dimension to getting shitfaced.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In reality by the time they get done treating it there's no shit left, just the undigested plant material. But that doesn't sound as good a sales gimmick.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
sexobon

Slogan: Elephant dung Gin, a taste you'll never forget.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
newtimer
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
In reality by the time they get done treating it there's no shit left...
Whatever you call it, it's been passed through an animal's digestive tract, then expelled out of the anus. It's not about to pass through my digestive tract next.
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You pussy, I'll bet you don't eat your grass clippings or leaves in the fall either.