The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-24-2019, 09:22 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Feb 25th, 2019: whale of a Tale

A salute to the people all around the Arctic Circle. Personally I think they’re nuts for living there but great respect and admiration
for their ability to survive generation after generation.
Quote:
Traditional whaling is practiced in tune with the unpredictable weather of the Arctic. Wind has pushed floating ice near the shorefast ice and the whalers must wait until it shifts again, sometimes weeks later.
This camp, erected miles out on the sea ice, is the Iñupiaq home away from home. Despite spending months living in cramped and frozen quarters, the captain of Yugu crew prefers it. “It is quiet here.” This setup is typical of spring whalers, who spend months on the sea ice waiting for whales by their skinboat.

Quote:
Flora Aiken gives a silent blessing to the first bowhead whale of the spring season. The Iñupiaq have a rich spiritual life which centers around the gift of the whale to the community. Foster Simmonds offers a prayer, saying, “Hide something for me. Look at the food, the whales. Look at the sea, the whalers. A blessing for them. Take that and hide it in your heart.” The whale here is tied up after being towed to the ice’s edge and is awaiting the village to come and help haul it onto the ice.

Quote:
Larry Lucas Kaleak listens to the sounds of passing whales and bearded seals through a skinboat paddle in the water. The sounds of bearded seals and bowheaded whales are unique and distinctive, and can be easily heard in the vibrations of the wooden paddle.
The frame of a skinboat rests on trestles, a reminder of Yup’ik traditional culture. For the youngest generation of Yup’ik, traditional culture can be a lifeline. 16-year old Sam Schimmel from Gambell says, “What I’ve seen is that when youth are not culturally engaged, you see higher rates of incarceration, higher rates of suicide, higher rates of alcoholism, higher rates of drug abuse — all these evils that come in and take the place of culture.”

Quote:
A large polar bear investigates the freshly butchered carcass of a bowhead whale. The scent of this whale attracted 13 polar bears in a single day, which presented considerable danger to the wary Iñupiaq whalers who nonetheless allowed the bears to feed.

Quote:
Kunuunnguaq Davidsen performs a Greenland kayak (qajaq) roll in the 2018 Greenlandic National Championships in Nuuk. Traditional kayak rolling was done to recover from capsizing during kayak-hunting. It has since evolved into a national sport with 37 increasingly difficult rolls.

link
Old 02-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Wow. Last of the humans...
Old 02-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
newtimer
Operations Operative

Last of the whales, too?

Come on, Polar Bear. Snack on a few of those 2-legged critters.
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

He would if he wanted to.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Kunuunnguaq Davidsen performs a Greenland kayak (qajaq) roll in the 2018 Greenlandic National Championships in Nuuk. Traditional kayak rolling was done to recover from capsizing during kayak-hunting. It has since evolved into a national sport with 37 increasingly difficult rolls.
Thirty-seven different rolls? How is that even possible? Seems to me there's only one way to roll a kayak - from upside down to right side up. Unless they're doing it blindfolded, or with one arm tied behind their back, or nekkid . . . ??

Also, Kunuunnguaq Davidsen? How do you pronounce that? There's gotta be a story behind Davidsen, too. MOAR INFO!
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

laying forward
sitting upright
to the left
to the right
with paddle
without paddle
laying backward
sweeping paddle forward
sweeping paddle backward
one arm
no arms
over to the left and up on the left
over to the right and back up on the right.
over to the left and keep going coming up on the right
over to the right and keep going coming up on the left
starting from still position upside down

there are several starting points there that could have combinations of factors... I think thirty-seven different combinations is easily imagined.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:49 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Easy to believe from people who have 50 words for snow. They can nuance like a bitch.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Good observation
Old 02-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Also, Kunuunnguaq Davidsen? How do you pronounce that?
Correctly.[/Quick And The Dead]

Also:

Ain't no 37 ways to roll, man. They's left, they's right, and they's the fuck up outta here.

That's three rolls, tops.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
So, you're swimming along, and a kayak floats by, ya dive under, put on the kayak, and then roll it upright?

Old 02-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
laying forward
sitting upright
to the left
to the right
with paddle
without paddle
laying backward
sweeping paddle forward
sweeping paddle backward
one arm
no arms
over to the left and up on the left
over to the right and back up on the right.
over to the left and keep going coming up on the right
over to the right and keep going coming up on the left

there are several starting points there that could have combinations of factors... I think thirty-seven different combinations is easily imagined.
Ha, ha. You missed out Pakassummillugu/unermillugu or 'holding the paddle in the crook of your arm'.

The list of rolls is here (with links to pictures of some):

http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/rolls/rolls.html

Last edited by Rhianne; 02-26-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: additional info
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
Ha, ha. You missed out Pakassummillugu/unermillugu or 'holding the paddle in the crook of your arm'.

The list of rolls is here (with links to pictures of some):

http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/rolls/rolls.html
Rhianne,

I made up my list off the top of my head in response to Glinda's expression of doubt. But you're right, I *did* miss the crook of the arm trick...

Thank you for the helpful link, those definitely sound like they're in order of increasing difficulty, from "gasping for air" to "I am definitely going to die down here".
Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
So, you're swimming along, and a kayak floats by, ya dive under, put on the kayak, and then roll it upright?
Here's how I imagine it in "real life". You've capsized (not duck boat style, I mean keel to the sky) and you can only get upright enough to grab a breath, then back down you go, waterboarding yourself. Again. You *DO NOT* want to exit the kayak because you know you lost your bilge pump somewhere between the Subaru and that last ice floe, so the prospect of paddling a swamped boat all the way back is not appealing, assuming it would even float. So you are committed to getting the boat back under you without uncorking yourself. Breath, dunk, breath, dunk, breath, dunk.. wrestling around to get a breath is hard, just hanging upside down is easy, but cold and wet.

That's where you're starting from, still, upside down, figuring out this fucking problem, OH LOOK, A MERMAID. Where was I? Oh yeah... I'll do a number 37, "Ready, Begin!"

Like that.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Why dontcha just get that mermaid to help ya?

Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Why dontcha just get that mermaid to help ya?
They got a different number for that one.