The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 01-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #46
lookout123
changed his status to single

I'm sorry your fears were confirmed but it sounds like you've got a handle on the right way to go now.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #47
Griff
still says videotape

The school district will be responsible for the cost of those treatments at some point, make sure any diagnosis is listed on his IEP. This is tough but you're tougher. Keep an eye out for respite care opportunities like local college kids etc... You're in this for the long haul so take care of yourselves and each other.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #48
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Clod, I'm having trouble putting the right words to how I feel. I hope you and Mr. Fob are bearing up well. I know that you are an Uber mom so I'm not too worried about the little one. It's the Uber moms who need the support.

Feel free to pm Griff. I probably won't be too helpful, but I'll try.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #49
monster
I hear them call the tide

Fobble, that's a hard reallity to face, and no doubt. but it's good news. it's good that you noticed something wasn't right and didn't play ostrich, it's good that you know you weren't imagining it, it's good that you know you're not alone -if you were, there wouldn't be a diagnosis or treatment plan, it's good that there are lots of things you can do to help and it's good that you have insurance that will pay.

It does suck that you have to rename the diagnosis periodically to get continued insurance coverage, but as Griff said, the school system should take over at some point. Get an IEP as soon as you can -in many places, public preschool is available for kids who need an IEP -start asking now.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #50
glatt

I'm sorry you got the diagnosis that you did. It means you now know that you are facing more work at being a parent, and I'm sure that's not something you are thrilled about. But I know you are a good mom, and he's really fortunate that he has you. Like you said, you caught it early and that gives you more options.

I have no insights to add, just that you have always come across as someone who has her head screwed on right. I hope you guys are able to take this in stride and just work with it, and continue to find the joy in life. You'll have more challenges now, but I think you are capable of them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #51
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Feel free to pm Griff.
Absolutely. Make sure you keep this or a similar thread going in case you hit a bump in the road that some dwellar can smooth.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #52
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I'm really sorry Clod. I know there's not much I can do, but believe me, I'll be thinking of you.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I hope you guys are able to take this in stride and just work with it, and continue to find the joy in life. You'll have more challenges now, but I think you are capable of them.
I think you'll get the same joy from his progress and growth, maybe even more, even if the steps are smaller.

I'm also thinking that you and Mr Clod, have got to plan and do this together, sharing the work and rewards equally. That mutual support, in a team of equals, is a force multiplier that adds up to the equivalent of three. Add your support here, and there is no way this can beat you... you'll do good.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #54
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As hard as it is, "having a diagnosis," at least you now know something, and can be as proactive as possible.

Talk to the treatment staff about other funding options and community supports that you can utilize. That 60 visits per diagnosis thing is brilliant.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #55
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I think your son is lucky to have you as his Mommy.

Try to keep in mind when the burden seems heavy that your son needs you the most when he acts like it the least.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #56
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Your son IS very lucky to have you as a mom.

I don't have any words of wisdom, except to say that what others have said here is (are?) right on.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #57
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Same as the others Clod. You identified a problem. You were switched on enough to realise this was not a normal behavioural blip. You love him enough to follow the guidelines, and bridge the gaps in knowledge with good parenting.

You're a great person. Your son was longed for, hard fought for and is still a beautiful human person. Parents get surprised all their lives - some of them really unpleasant surprises. You have something you can work with, and we already know you're prepared to fight against the odds. And hey - normal kids like me end up at home at age 36 battling depression! No loving parent really gets an easy ride.

You have my admiration and (as much as a forum member can) my love. Keep us updated - whether it's pathos, whinging, or downright slap the desk humour, I for one will eat it up.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #58
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Clod, I have a very good friend who has an Aspy child who is now about 8 or so. If you would like someone personal to talk with and commo with, who may have gone through some of what you are going through, please let me know and I will hook you up so you can talk directly to another mother.

Drop me a pm if you want the contact info, in case I don't check back here soon.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #59
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I was in the middle of reading this thread when I was interrupted. Clod, you are an awesome person and parent. You are wickedly intelligent, grounded, balanced...I admire you for so many reasons. This little boy picked you to be his mom and he knows you can handle it (even though you will need some help. We all need help) I wish I could convey what I mean more clearly---at times of great emotion, I come off sounding like a loon. Anyway---what I mean is this: I KNOW you can do this. Ask for help. He's lucky to have you.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 AM   #60
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Adding my good wishes to the pile, Clod. It may not seem like it at the moment, but identifying the problem is three-quarters of the solution.
Hugs to you and your family.

Tags
autism, food intolerance