The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 06-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
Serveris
Fellow-Commoner

Prince Rupert, BC, Canada

Prince Rupert is a small fishing city. Within the past couple years (last year), we opened up a Cruise Ship dock, so that Cruise ships can come in. I have a couple of pictures of one coming in, if you want to see it. Our harbour has become polluted in the past couple years, but now with the Cruise Ships coming in, the city has been pouring money in to clear out the harbou, so it's becoming to look nice again. Prince Rupert is the farthest north city on the west coast (that I'd consider a city, not a native village). It's a nice place, with alot of greens; tons of flowers, trees, eagles (I might have some pictures of Eagles outside my home). Alot of deer (yes, a very common sight here), and last night there was a wolf stalking a room-mate down the block
Our population has gone down in recent years due to the mill closing down, but now that we have a container port opening up. (It's faster to ship things through Prince Rupert from Asia than to Vancouver, even though we're more north, our railroads are more direct, and we're technically more direct to Asia than Vancouver.)

So, now that our economy is starting to pick up, so people are becoming happy again. Oh yes, let me see if I can find some pictures...

This is a picture of the whole town and the surrounding area, taken from a seaplane. I think it's neat having that many mountains in the area. But that's just me. Anyway, it was a cloudy day during that picture (which it usually is cloudy for some reason) but at least you got a nice shot of the town.

Prince Rupert is a small fishing city. Within the past couple years (last year), we opened up a Cruise Ship dock, so that Cruise ships can come in. I have a couple of pictures of one coming in, if you want to see it. Our harbour has become polluted in the past couple years, but now with the Cruise Ships coming in, the city has been pouring money in to clear out the harbou, so it's becoming to look nice again. Prince Rupert is the farthest north city on the west coast (that I'd consider a city, not a native village). It's a nice place, with alot of greens; tons of flowers, trees, eagles (I might have some pictures of Eagles outside my home). Alot of deer (yes, a very common sight here), and last night there was a wolf stalking a room-mate down the block
Our population has gone down in recent years due to the mill closing down, but now that we have a container port opening up. (It's faster to ship things through Prince Rupert from Asia than to Vancouver, even though we're more north, our railroads are more direct, and we're technically more direct to Asia than Vancouver.)

So, now that our economy is starting to pick up, so people are becoming happy again. Oh yes, let me see if I can find some pictures...

This is a shot of the whole town. It's taken from a seaplane flying overhead. It was a bit cloudy that day, like it is most days, but it isn't so bad. (I like the mountains.)
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Serveris
Fellow-Commoner

Courthouse

This is a shot of the courthouse back in 1920, now there are trees, and buildings... and a Jehovah's Witnesses' Kingdom Hall, and a run-down Dairy Queen. But hey, isn't it a beautiful building?
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
glatt

When I look at that top picture, I get the old SimCity 2000 music running through my head. It looks just like the type of cities I would design in that game.

Very pretty town.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
Serveris
Fellow-Commoner

Cruise Ships

Thanks, but yeah, that photo does remind me of Sim City aswell. Anyway, time to add some more photos of this town. Well, right now just the Cruise Ships that started coming in last year. This ship is called, I believe the Norweigan Pride (sorry if I spell it incorrectly).
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Serveris
Fellow-Commoner

Courthouse

Some "Sim City" shots of the Court House. We have an annual thing here every year called Block Stock, where the local youth play garage band music. We also start our Sea-Fest (a celebration) Parade every year here. It is one of our oldest buildings, and Sea-Fest is about to start, so I'll get some photos of the Sail Past, and various other happenings going on.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Serveris
Fellow-Commoner

Native Stuff

Here are some pictures of a Native Dancer, and some Native art which actually isn't considered much of a spectacle here, since we see it all the time. I guess not much other places see things like this alot, or something. (Unless you go to the Vancouver International Airport).
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
Serveris
Fellow-Commoner

Some Random Things

Some random shots of the Welcome Sign to the City, and a beautiful thing you also see alot here. (I love the mass amounts of wilderness we have here).
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Pie
Gone and done

I was in PR last year around this time, on a cruise ship (Norwegian Spirit). We did get to meet some of the local Tsimshians and do the whole island thing. The photo below is of several Tshimshian men, a cedar bark carver, the tribal elder, and his grandson, who did a song-and-dance routine for us.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

You live in a beautiful place Serveris! I hope the cruises continue to be a plus for your town. Now I have to google Prince Rupert to see who the heck he was.

Here

Last edited by Griff; 06-03-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
LCanal
I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

The most impressive thing about this picture is that it's not raining.

I've never been to PR so where did you hide the Skeena/People's Pulp Mill. Is it behind the camera or did you Photshop it out?

Ay least one guy from PR is here in sunny Sumatra.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:23 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome, Serveris! And thanks so much for the pics! Looks like the kind of place I'd enjoy very much.

with respect to the native carving pic, I get the bear and the salmon on the bottom, but what's(who's) on top of the bear? I'm not really good at determining what the artist is intending in that style all the time.

Never mind. I think I'm getting the hang of it ... humpbacked whale and human.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #12
Serveris
Fellow-Commoner

Well, that must have been nice for you to be one of the tourists that might have seen my friend selling ice cream last year. ^-^ Anyway, please, drop by, see Prince Rupert, it is a beautiful place (when it isn't raining). I hope some of you choose to come by and see the place for yourself. Oh! And since Sea Fest is next weekend, I'll have some photos for you guys. Of our sail pasts, fly pasts, and just plain good majority of Natives (Haida, Nis'gaa, and Tsimshian). If you want to see a nice place, with good fishing, good crab, good prawn, wicked sea-food, and just plain nice, neat things. (My friend will soon be waiting by the entrance of the Cruise Ship, and will be playing the violin, blind folded, on a Unicycle, with one foot.)

And there used to be only the Norwegian Spirit coming by, but now there's more than one... (don't know the name(s) of the other(s).)

[EDIT] Hey-- I know the guy on the right!
Oh! And that's not a hump-back whale, it's a Killer Whale.
And the Pulp-Mill is behind the mountain, closest to the right on the first picture. It's up the high-way a little bit. We're not really that close to the Skeena, it's actually near the back of our island. The water you see in the photo is actually the Pacific Ocean (just for those of you who don't know).

Last edited by Serveris; 06-04-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Serveris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome Serveris, thanks for the tour.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #14
Serveris
Fellow-Commoner

City Hall

Here are some shots of the City Hall.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #15
Serveris
Fellow-Commoner

Here's a random shot of some houses. The Court House is on the bottom right hand corner of this picture. (A corner of it can be seen.)
Attached Images