The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

just sent to Cassidy, Kennedy, and Higgins

Seems to me, you folks got hired to repeal the ACA, not revise, edit, or tweak it, so...

Repeal the ACA.

Then, once the damned thing is gone, sit down and do the hard word of figuring out a sensible, minimalistic replacement.

But: first things, first...

Repeal the ACA.

I promise you: if you folks do anything other than repeal the ACA, most of you will not have jobs come next election.

So: put some steel in your spines, some brass in your testes, abandon 'repeal and replace' and repeal THEN replace (if necessary).

Now, me, as a self-employed guy livin' close to the bone, what I want from you folks is: If I, in Louisiana, find a provider in Alaska who offers what I want, at the right price, make it so I can get my insurance from that provider.

That's it, that's all...stop tryin' to give me the moon...just get outta my way so I can shoot for it myself. H. Quirk
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But Henry, the majority of Americans are saying if they repeal it they won't get reelected. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but seem to be out of step with most Americans. I'd bet a lot of money the politicians are scared of repercussions if they vote against their constituents on this.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
If I, in Louisiana, find a provider in Alaska who offers what I want, at the right price, make it so I can get my insurance from that provider.
That would be terrible for consumers. There's nothing preventing the Alaska provider from selling insurance in Louisiana (most insurance providers are multi-state), unless they don't want to comply with Louisiana's laws.

If the Federal Government made a law that insurance companies could ignore local laws except the ones for the state they were incorporated in, the insurance companies would start a bidding war for the state with the laws that were most slanted toward the insurance companies, and the least slanted for the customers, and reincorporate there. You're back to getting insurance from one state, but it's probably not your state, it's the state that is explicitly the most anti-consumer, and you can't even vote for more pro-consumer regulators, because you're not a resident.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Why wouldn't ya put this in 'Politics'?

Seems...political.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
henry quirk

"the majority of Americans are saying if they repeal it they won't get reelected."

Sez who? Cuz that's not how it plays out in LA.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
henry quirk

"a bidding war"

Why?
Old 07-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
henry quirk

"Why wouldn't ya put this in 'Politics'?"

Cuz my health (and how I attend to it) is personal, not political.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nothing personal but I've moved the thread...! How you deal with it is personal but how *we* attend to it is as a community.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
henry quirk

the root of the problem

"how *we* attend to it is as a community."
Old 07-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
henry quirk

On Thursday, July 13, 2017, Congressman Clay Higgins <LA03CHima@mail.house.gov> wrote:

Dear Mr. Quirk,

Thank you for contacting me to share your comments regarding the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA; P.L. 111-148). Like you, I have serious concerns with government intrusion into our health care system, and I recently voted to repeal this dysfunctional law.

As you may know, Representative Diane Black (R-TN-06) introduced H.R. 1628, the American Health Care Act of 2017, on March 20, 2017. This health care plan is a critical step towards increasing choice and expanding access to quality, affordable health care for all Americans. H.R. 1628 would repeal the existing individual and employer mandates, slash Obamacare-era taxes, and return flexibility and choice back to the states. I am pleased to inform you that H.R. 1628 was passed by the passed the U.S. House of Representatives with my support on May 4, 2017, and was sent to the U.S. Senate for further consideration.

The 115th Congress presents a new opportunity to improve both our nation’s healthcare system and access to quality, affordable healthcare. Louisianans deserve the very best, and I will continue to fight for true patient-centered reforms, rather than massive federal regulation of the industry. For more information about this legislation, please visit my website at https://clayhiggins.house.gov/media/. Please be assured that I will keep your comments in mind as the U.S. House of Representatives moves forward.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts and it is an honor to serve you in Congress. Your suggestions are always welcome, and if ever I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at https://clayhiggins.house.gov/.*

Sincerely,

Clay Higgins
Member of Congress

Don’t forget to connect with me on Facebook as Congressman Clay Higgins and sign up for my e-newsletter at clayhiggins.house.gov for the latest updates on my work.

#

On Friday, July 14, 2017, Henry Quirk <hquirk@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, it's grand you -- and the House -- have your ducks in a row...the Senate is another matter.

I predict nuthin' will change...the ACA won't be repealed...the tweaks/revisions of the ACA won't amount to diddly squat...The GOP will lose the Senate (and mebbe the House).

Might as well change the name now, swap out 'United States of America' for 'Communitarian State of America'.

*shrug*

Anyway, thanks for the response. H. Quirk
Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Henry, you do understand that's a form letter that some underpaid assistant copies and pastes, and the exact same content would have gone to you regardless of whether you emailed in support or opposition of AHCA, right?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Also, you're now on their mailing list, and will get political ads from them on a regular basis.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
henry quirk

Yeah, it's boiler plate...I get that...so what?

All ads go directly to the spam box.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
"the majority of Americans are saying if they repeal it they won't get reelected."

Sez who? Cuz that's not how it plays out in LA.
While I believe the majority in your social circle feel the way you do, I doubt you can speak for LA.

My evidence, here.

and here.

and here

and here

should I go on?
Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #15
henry quirk

"I doubt you can speak for LA."

I don't have to...

http://dhh.louisiana.gov/assets/medi...Survey2017.pdf

As for polls (I figured that's what you'd foist up): woulda thought recent history was enough to make any soul take any poll with more than a grain of salt.

Guess I was wrong.

Now, me, I don't even take the LSU poll seriously, but you wanna play with polls, so we'll play with polls.

Last edited by henry quirk; 07-14-2017 at 03:54 PM.