The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Is a puzzlement...

Orlando Sentinel
Jeff Weiner,
November 26, 2013

George Zimmerman drops public defender, asks for return of knife & phones
Quote:
Less than a week after he requested to be declared indigent, citing millions in debts,
George Zimmerman swapped his public defender in his domestic violence case for a private attorney,
his former lawyer confirmed.

Zimmerman was represented by the 18th Judicial Circuit Public Defender's Office
during a court appearance on Tuesday, the day after his domestic violence arrest.
He was granted $9,000 bail and bonded out that day.

However, Zimmerman has now elected to drop the Public Defender's Office
and hire a south Florida private criminal defense attorney, Jayne Weintraub,
to represent him, said his former public defender, Jeff Dowdy.
<snip>
It's unclear how Zimmerman will afford private representation.
In indigence paperwork last week, Zimmerman claimed to have $144,
and owe $2.5 million in debt.

Weintraub didn't return a call seeking comment.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

well, we're talking about Weintraub now, aren't we? That's how she's getting paid. Notoriety.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #18
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

George Zimmerman's girlfriend recants
allegations he threatened her with gun

Samantha Scheibe, who refers to Zimmerman as her "boyfriend," said in a sworn statement obtained by NBC News that she felt intimidated when she was questioned by police about the Nov. 18 incident.

"I believe that the police misinterpreted me and that I may have misspoken about certain facts in my statement to the police. I do not feel that the arrest report accurately recounts what happened," she said.

"I am not afraid of George in any manner and I want to be with him," Scheibe stated.

sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

O J Simpson also needs a girlfriend.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #20
sexobon

You got nuthin.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #21
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Most victims of domestic violence defend or deny the actions of their abuser.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #22
sexobon

That's sheeple talk.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #23
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

No, that's just the way domestic violence works.

From the conclusion to a study on why women withdraw domestic abuse charges:

Quote:
In conclusion, this research has shown that victims of domestic violence often do not proceed with prosecuting their abuser because of fear. This can take the form of fear for themselves,fear for their families and fear from the perpetrator’s family and friends. In fact, the victims stated that fear colours their experience of the entire process from making their first statement to the police to appearing in open court.

This research has shown that on occasions, some perpetrators can threaten or assault the victim at any stage of the process with little or no consequence. Indeed all of the women interviewed for this study reported that their abuser often breached bail conditions that prohibited contact and threatened them right up to the moment that they appeared in court or dropped the charges. A final and
perhaps most worrying belief held by the victims was that regardless of sentence, their abuser would exact a violent revenge at some time in the future.
This belief was often based on personal experience of where even custody did little except delay the inevitable.

This research has demonstrated that in the rare occasions when a prosecution does take place, it is likely to occur when the abuse becomes so severe that the victim is in genuine fear for their own life (or the life of a family member). In cases such as these, it is possible that this will be the first time that the perpetrator has been formally tried, and is therefore highly unlikely to be given a sentence that is commensurate with the damage that has been caused
http://www.devon.gov.uk/domviolence_report.pdf

From a CPS report for essex:

Quote:
Recent analysis of failed domestic violence cases in Essex shows a very clear picture. Where the CPS can get a case to court, the overwhelming majority of defendants plead guilty, with only a small proportion electing for a trial. Where there are trials, most prosecutions succeed. But the critical problem is persuading victims not to withdraw from the process along the way either by retracting, refusing to give evidence or withdrawing support for the case.

On average it is said that victims of domestic abuse will experience around 35 incidents before reporting to the police. Many, having reported the situation then withdraw. The cases in the study above were those which went right through to an arrest and charge. There is another layer of victims who withdraw before the arrest and charge (a panicked 999 call is made by the victim, by the time the police arrive on the scene the victim, whether sporting signs of injury or not, then says it was a misunderstanding or something like that.

Not saying this is the case here. But offering her withdrawal as evidence against the assault taking place is shaky at best. Her responses fit very comfortably into a well-established pattern of behaviour for victims of domestic violence.

Recognising that doesn't make someone 'sheeple'. It just means they know the wider context.

You, on the other hand, seem to be doing a fine job of following the pro-zimmerman media 'bellweather' on this. Altogether now: baaaaaaa.

Last edited by DanaC; 12-11-2013 at 04:37 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dana, not only fear of reprisal, but fear of the future because the lifestyle/living conditions of the kids, and themselves, has been completely dependent on the perp.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
Lamplighter

Quote:
Florida prosecutors said Wednesday that they would not file domestic violence charges
against George Zimmerman after his girlfriend told police he had pointed a shotgun at her three weeks ago.

The move comes two days after Zimmerman submitted an affidavit from Samantha Scheibe
stating she did not want "my boyfriend" charged with aggravated assault, battery and criminal mischief.
She said investigators had misinterpreted her statements about the incident Nov. 18
at a home in Apopka, Seminole County, that she shared with Zimmerman.

"I want to be with George," Scheibe, 27, said in the affidavit she signed Friday.
Till next time...

Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #26
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
No, that's just the way domestic violence works. ...
What do you mean "No" when you’re your own quote backs my statement:

Quote:
In conclusion, this research has shown that victims of domestic violence often do not proceed with prosecuting their abuser because of fear. ...
What do you think sheeple talk is? It's for sheeple, by sheeple, to excuse other sheeple who have allowed their courses of action to be dictated by fear. The sheeple defense is unacceptable making even the recognition of a wider context sheeple talk. You then proceed to post the obvious apparently just to see yourself in print. Dipsheep.

That's was good, "dipsheep", I'll have to remember to use that again. : )))
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Till next time....
Zimmerman is not an honorable person. He hasn't shown himself to be a cold blooded killer; but, he has demonstrated a lack of altruistic motives for his actions which will cause him to spiral downward. Already he can't see the light at the end of the tunnel because he's so far in debt from legal expenses. That alone can ruin any serious relationships he enters. He now presents a defeatist attitude heading towards reckless abandon. The more times he gets away with bad behavior, the bolder he'll become and the sooner he'll do himself in. Shouldn't be too much longer unless he wins the lottery or something.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #27
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

So, by your analysis, the victims of domestic abuse who do not press charges against their abusive partners are...sheeple.

You are a piece of work sexobon.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #28
Lamplighter

...but, he has demonstrated a lack of altruistic motives for his actions...
...Shouldn't be too much longer unless he wins the lottery or something.

That is simplistic thinking... it has nothing to do with $
...and having "altruistic motives", or not, is a red herring
Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

It seems that Zimmerman has learned that he can get away with just about anything, so he is running with it.

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #30
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
... the victims of domestic abuse who do not press charges against their abusive partners are...sheeple. ...
Collaborator also works.