The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #31
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

"It takes only 5 people to end gun violence in America."

Quote:
Today the President announced that he is exercising the power of his office to reduce violence in America. The President will introduce Plan A in which he will ask Congress to appropriate funding to send for the Three Amigos whom he says will purge the nation of its EL Guapos and do it in an economically frugal manner.

Plan A is to be formally unveiled in a televised address to the Union. The President will again highlight the loss of "little lambs" [a reference to the offspring of American sheep] and rationalize the need for shepherding politicians to protect them as it would be unreasonable to expect sheep to avail themselves of existing means to protect their own. The President, who has a taxpayer funded force of armed bodyguards to protect his young, believes that the Three Amigos method of putting on a show of bravado that typically includes the sheep, will calm the sheep.

In the event the Three Amigos are unavailable, the President is prepared to go to Plan B, said a White House spokesperson on the condition of anonymity. Additional funding would be requested to procure the services of the Magnificent Seven. The expense of their services would not be frugal; but, still economically reasonable in these hard times when jobs are scarce and wages are low. The M7 have previously dealt with those who said "If God didn't intend for them to be sheared, he wouldn't have made them sheep." The President believes the M7 will use similar methodology to the Three Amigos and may be even more results oriented, albeit a tad more expensive.

Should neither the Three Amigos nor the Magnificent Seven be available during the President's second term of office, at its conclusion, he will fall back on Plan C. This contingency plan entails endorsing a Republican candidate in the next Presidential election who will implement conscription to make military; or, police service mandatory for all qualified Americans. Citizens will receive firearms training that they can take back with them to civilian life so they themselves can protect their children at home and in schools thus being elevated to the status of successful parents. Those who do not pass the screening for mandatory service will not be permitted to own firearms; however, they will be placed under the protection of designated people who did. Laws will be enacted to make protecting children compulsory just as in some places it is compulsory to render first-aid if one stops at the scene of an automobile accident.

Pundits of the President's plan (primary, alternate and contingency) believe that the magic number is not three or seven; rather, that the magic number is five to provide the panacea the flock needs to be contented as sheep. They won't even entertain the thought that they need to accept individual responsibility for armed defense of their offspring's lives in today's world. The undecided are asking that if the parents won't do it, why should anyone else, do we really need another generation of the same old baa-a-a-a, baa-a-a-a, baa-a-a-a?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #32
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I demanded reform of your face, but I was reminded of the Right to Scare Worms.

Hey Lady where in the goat roping hell ya been//????????????????
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #33
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Hi buster! I've been here...I turned into a monkey. An infinite one. I kept wondering why you never responded to my responses to you: you didn't know who I was!

But I changed my email address on my infinite monkey log-in because I was going to try to send gravdigr an email through the cellar and the email that he would get from me would be incorrect...just waiting on Tony to approve it before I can post from IM again.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #34
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Hi buster! I've been here...I turned into a monkey. An infinite one. I kept wondering why you never responded to my responses to you: you didn't know who I was! But I changed my email address on my infinite monkey log-in because I was going to try to send gravdigr an email through the cellar and the email that he would get from me would be incorrect...just waiting on Tony to approve it before I can post from IM again.
Quote:
It makes it more difficult for me to say what I'm now going to say. I do feel it's time to set the record straight. I didn't come here just as an administrator. I came to this hospital to settle a score. What score? My father built this hospital. But to his family...he was an unmerciful tyrant; an absolute dodo bird. He drove my mother to drink. In fact, she went riding one time and lost all her teeth. The oldest daughter, the pretty, charming one, became pregnant...at and was driven out of the house. She was so terrified that her daughter would bear the stigma of illegitimacy...she changed her name and contracted a disfiguring disease...after moving to Tangiers, where she raised the girl as her sister. But her one ambition was to become a nurse. So she returned to the States and joined the staff right here...at Southwest General. She worked here and had to speak out...wherever she saw injustice and inhumanity. Don't you understand that, Dr. Brewster? (I never laid a hand on her.) Yes, you did. She was shunned by all you nurses too. Her outspokenness threatened you doctors. But she was deeply, deeply, deeply loved...by her brother. This brother, on the day of her death...swore to the good Lord above he'd follow in her footsteps. And, and, and...just, just, just...owe it all up to her! But on her terms! As a woman...and just as proud to be a woman...as she ever was… for I am not Emily Kimberly...the daughter of Dwayne...and Alma Kimberly. No, I'm not. I'm Edward Kimberly, Anthea's reckless brother. Edward Kimberly, who's finally vindicated his sister's good name. I'm Edward Kimberly. Edward Kimberly. I'm not mentally ill, but proud ...and lucky to be the woman that was the best part of my manhood; The best part of myself.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #35
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

You are so freaking funny.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #36
Ibby
erika

in the right wing paranoid fantasy of needing guns to defend against tyranny - as nobody is carrying AR-15s for self-defense or hunting, right? - who is it you think you'll be using those guns to defend against...?
Invading armies? widespread anarchy? zombies? post-apocalyptic biker gangs? the FBI? ATF? The national guard? the military? your neighbors? your local cops?
Who are you going to be shooting up with your arsenal, and why should the rest of us not be terrified of people like you?
What makes you different than the "sovereign citizen" movement, with their murder of law enforcement, plain old traffic cops even, who "deprive them of their rights"? Talk about a slippery slope.

Those of you who speak in support of looser gun laws. if they DO outlaw semi-automatic "assault weapons" and demand that those who own them turn them in, will you go quietly? What if ATF comes knocking - do you still go quietly?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
My Marlin 60 is a semi auto .22 tube magazine. The government can have it when they pry it from my warm living fingers with a generous buy-back check that would cover the purchase of a sweet bolt action .22 like a volquartsen.That would apply sufficient leverage upon my fingers to release my grip on my semi-auto Marlin.

You are awesome, foot3.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #38
Adak
Lecturer

What we need are more gun control laws in this country, because clearly, we know the criminals never get their hands on guns, once those laws are passed:

A perfect example from the killer/arsonist last week.
Quote:
Authorities do not know how Spengler obtained the Bushmaster rifle, .38-caliber revolver and 12-gauge shotgun he used, Pickering said. As a convicted felon, Spengler was not allowed to legally possess weapons.
Spengler killed two firemen who responded to the home fire he started. He wounded two others,

AND WOULD HAVE KILLED SEVERAL MORE, EXCEPT a policeman shielded the wounded firemen on the ground with his car, AND SHOT SPENGLER WITH A RIFLE.

What have we learned today?

* Criminals don't CARE about gun laws - they will get guns or other weapons they can use against YOU.

* It behooves you to have a gun to shoot them when they try to kill you.

Apologies for boring the liberals who seem completely unable to understand this basic premise.

Here's a little lesson from nature:

Without a firearm, we are the warthog - careful, but still vulnerable, and still a victim. (not for the squemish):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-UX0w2yA2A
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
lookout123
changed his status to single

I'm a little slow, but based on my reading of the 3 ongoing gun threads I'm starting to think Lamplighter might not like guns. Who knew?

TW and Ibby didn't respond to my earlier questions so I guess expecting a rational consideration of an alternate view on gunrights wasn't what they were looking for.

Foot - you at least made an attempt. If I understand correctly, you are perfectly fine with gun ownership and use so long is it of a type you like, has a magazine capacity you feel is sufficient for your uses, and it is used in the manner you choose to use yours?

My point in asking about your statements about the firing mechanism and magazine capacity was really aimed at pointing out that your limit of 4 shots is perfectly arbitrary. By focusing on those issues you are doing what they did with the ridiculous "assault weapon" ban, fixating on the inconsequential.

If a lawabiding citizen likes to carry with 13 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber why does that matter to you? If a lawabiding citizen likes to target shoot with his AR-15 at his local range why does that matter to you?

Guns aren't the problem. Lawabiding citizens aren't the problem. The evilminded and the insane are the problem. Tightening restrictions on those who follow the law will have no effect on those who care nothing about the law or the consequences.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #40
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

a friend of mine (hard right wing Christian) said, "If guns kill people, why aren't there any gun deaths at gun shows?"

and I said, "because that's the Planning Phase."

most of these nutters give clues. everyone always says, "I thought they were kidding," -----not with that adrenalin-high look in their eyes they're not.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #41
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I'm a little slow, but based on my reading of the 3 ongoing gun threads I'm starting to think Lamplighter might not like guns. Who knew?

TW and Ibby didn't respond to my earlier questions so I guess expecting a rational consideration of an alternate view on gunrights wasn't what they were looking for.
which questions? I think you might be thinking i'm more anti-gun than I am. I live in vermont and i'm pretty satisfied with vt's lax gun laws.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #42
Ibby
erika

But even Vermont has limits. You can't have a round in the chamber in a long gun in a vehicle, for instance. So cops can treat any long gun in the passenger cabin as a threat until proven otherwise.

Keeping a long gun in your home for self defense is reasonable. Keeping it unloaded in your trunk en route to hunting is reasonable. Having it in public is not. Long guns in public are not for self defense. They are for murder.

By far, black men are the victims of gun violence, at the hands of both blacks and whites. But you didn't see the NRA arguing that Trayvon Martin should have had a gun to defend himself from his murderer, do you?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #43
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
But you didn't see the NRA arguing that Trayvon Martin should have had a gun to defend himself from his murderer, do you?
Typical partisan bullshit, Trayvon was still a minor at the time.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #44
Adak
Lecturer

The mayor of Chicago, is well known as Obama's former chief of staff, at the White House. Dyed in the wool liberal, that's Rahm Emanuel.

Chicago has one of the most restrictive gun laws in the country - but their murder rate with guns, has increased, not decreased.

Those clever criminals are NOT paying attention to the gun laws - can you IMAGINE THAT??

Of course, Rahm is dead set against the NRA proposal to have armed policemen at the schools, to help protect the kids therein. No no no, you can't turn our schools into "armed camps", etc.

Here's the good part - the REALLY RICH PART. Rahm Emanual has a child, attending a Chicago private school.

Guess what the private school has?

Armed security at the school, every single day, protecting the kids therein.

I just LOVE the liberal hypocrites! No one shows their liberal denouement, quite as well, as their own hypocrisy.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #45
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Typical partisan bullshit, Trayvon was still a minor at the time.
When I first saw the pictures of Martin's killer, and heard the 911 call, I said "he doesn't look like he's been in a fight". Maybe he did pick the fight with Martin.

Then I learned that:

1) The 911 call had been edited by NBC news media, to make it sound like Zimmerman was a racist.

2) The pictures of Zimmerman, taken at the time, had been altered to make him appear less injured than he was.

(In fact Zimmerman is now suing the pants off NBC for this).

So here's my take on this - mind you, I only know what the media has reported, and little else, so there is speculation written all over this:

* Martin was bigger than Zimmerman, and a football player. He also had a temper - several fights in high school, in his background.

* His gf stated Martin saw Zimmerman following him, and didn't like it. Told her to go on, he was going to "handle this" problem.

* He got into a fight with Zimmerman, because he didn't like being followed, and Zimmerman wouldn't cooperate and leave.

* Martin was winning the fight, being bigger and stronger than Zimmerman, and frankly, more experienced as a fighter and physical (heavy contact), athlete.

* Martin broke Zimmerman's nose - and had him on his back, at least once, according to both an eye witness, and Zimmerman's jacket with grass stains on the back. Police verified the broken nose of Zimmerman, not the eye witness.

Also, Zimmerman's face was swollen. Clearly he'd been punched in the face, several times.

So I believe that Martin was clearly winning the fight, until Zimmerman shot him, and although Zimmerman's following of Martin was somewhat bothersome to me, it did not break any laws.

The court will rule it was self-defense, when all the facts come out.