The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Who said Poor Joe? wtf?

Did you walk in on Sandusky?

Did you hear McQueery talk to Paterno? Did you hear Paterno talk to Curley and Mo?

Knee-jerk.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
Lamplighter

The entire Grand Jury's 23-page report is here as a PDF file

This is the part about Paterno:

Quote:
p7: Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate superior, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.
<snip>
Approximately one and a half weeks later, the graduate asssstnat was called to a meeting with Penn State Athletic Director Curley and Senior VIce President for Finanace and Business, Gary Schultz ("Shultz"). The graduate assistant reported to Curley and Schultz that he had witnessed what he believed to be Sandusky having anal sex with a boy in the Lasch Building showers. Curley and Schultz assured the graduate assistant that they would look into it and determine what further action they would take. Paterno was not present for this meeting.
Curley and Schults later testified before the Grand Jury,
and denied the graduate student specifically told them
of "anal sex" or any specific "sexual activity".

p8: Shultz testified to meeting with Paterno and Curley,
and denied a specific report of sexual activity -
he instead called it "inappropriate wrestling".
Shultz acknowledged similarities between the 1998 and 2002 incidents

Elsewhere the GJ report states:
Quote:
"The Grand Jury finds the graduate assistant's testimony to be extremely credible."

As I read the Grand Jury Report, it appears to me that Paterno did notify his immediate superior,
but there's no mention of him doing anything more.

It really appears frustrating that Tim Curley, PSU's Athletic Director,
did what he was supposed to do, up to a point.
He reported to the PSU President, Graham Spanier, and he reported to
Second Mile Executive Director, Jack Raykovitz, and he banned Sandusky
from bringing any youth onto the PSU campus.
BUT: portions of his testimony before the Grand Jury were deemed "not credible"

With all that, neither the University Police nor Dept of Children and Youth Services
were notified, as required by law.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"Who said Poor Joe?"

I take the campus riot as a 'poor Joe'.

#

"Did you hear McQueery talk to Paterno?"

It's part of the public record...part of the reason Sandusky "*was arrested for 40 counts related to allegations of sexual abuse of young boys over a 15-year period"

#

"Knee-jerk."

No. Impassioned, yes...but, I'm not reacting...I'm responding to the information available (which is fairly unambiguous).

*Wikipedia
Old 11-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Bottom line, if a child is in danger or even if you just SUSPECT a child is in danger, YOU CALL THE COPS FIRST! Not your boss and then wait for further instructions.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
Nirvana
Back in 10

<whs double
Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #21
Rrrraven
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Bottom line, if a child is in danger or even if you just SUSPECT a child is in danger, YOU CALL THE COPS FIRST! Not your boss and then wait for further instructions.
Right on. What I see consistently are schools who have a policy or procedure in place that says if you suspect child abuse or neglect you report to your superior or a designated person - like the school counselor and then they report or make the decision to report or not. The problem with handing your information off to someone else is that it becomes second or third hand information - you may feel better for reporting but it doesn't always get called in. Most mandated reporter laws are pretty clear. You suspect, you report. Period.

The crimes committed in PA don't surprise me one bit, it's happening right now all over the country. What I find surprising is the discussion in the media and in the streets of State College, PA pondering the firings, folks getting angry because someone or another lost their job - actual discussion/questioning about who is responsible or not. I find it pretty horrific that anyone would question holding responsible every single person who knew of the abuse and did not report to the authorities.
Rrrraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Interim Penn State coach takes helm with 'mixed emotions'

Congrats jim.

don't worry, you'll grow on him.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

There are far too many loose ends in this story.

First, Sandusky mysteriously quit. To take on a head coach job that he could have easily obtained? Because he was too old? Because Paterno was retiring? None of the above. He quit in a manner similar to what would happen when fired discretely. As if allegations existed that were all but prosecutable. From the time that Sandusky retired, I had always wondered why that retirement suddenly happened for no apparent reason.

Second, a grand jury had investigated a previous Sandusky child molestation accusation. I don't know what the grand jury recommended. But the Center County DA suddenly decided there was insufficient reason to prosecute. Then some months later, his car was found in Lewisburg (Union County), with cigarette butts inside (he did not smoke), and his computer completely disassembled so that even data on the disk drive could not be recovered.

Third, the board of trustees would never fire so many people on the information publically reported. Either they made a decision based 100% emotionally (to protect themselves). Or there are a much larger story behind this entire story.

Fourth, why were so many fired. But the graduate assistant who witnessed the child rape, did nothing, and then waited a full day to report it to anyone. Why is he not among the Trustees victims? Either the Trustees made a decision based in their emotions. Or others (including the long time university president) are even guiltier.

Fifth, Paterno did what he was supposed to do. According to statements made separately by both the graduate assistant and Paterno, Joe had stopped him mid sentence. Told him all this should be reported directly to Joe's superiors. Did not get the full story. And (as best we can tell) made sure his superior knew of the allegations 'first person'. That should have been sufficient if that is all there is to this story. To not even let him finish the season implies this story is much larger.

Too many loose ends. Actions were taken too quickly and with woefully insufficient information if there is not many times more information long known by many. I find it very difficult that all these actions were taken so quickly on so few hard facts and so little guilt.

Apparently, many smoking guns have been hidden. Apparently many knew much more much longer ago. Even the DA's unresolved and sudden disappearance remains suspicious. The timeline does not make any sense.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #24
Lamplighter

tw, I'm thinking your Fourth item above, particularly about the graduate assistant, is a bit over the top.

According to the Grand Jury Report, it was this young man's report
to Parterno that started the investigation of Victim#2,
his report to Curley and Shultz that initiated the administration's actions,
and his testimony to the Grand Jury that was persuasive (i.e., "extremely creditable")

He did not "wait a full day to report it to anyone".
The incident was at 9:30 pm on a Friday
He immediately called his father from his office phone, asking his advise.
He met with and reported the incident to Paterno the next morning, Saturday.

Maybe other testimony shows/says something else, but this was the Grand Jury's report.

Some in the news media are vehement this young man, now 28,
should have physically intervened in the incident.
To my mind that is asking an awful lot from an emotionally stricken
18 year-old confronted with such a situation.

I'd suggest the Trustees accepted this Grand Jury's findings, and so had no reason to fire him.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #25
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I thought he was 28 at the time? I haven't heard of any 18 year old graduate assistants?

Either way I agree with you Lamplighter. I'm guessing the loyalty in football programs is extremely high and to see a highly respected individual do that would be almost world shattering. It's tough not to criticize since this is the raping of a child but he did report it and the thought of a graduate assistant taking on Joe Paterno and the rest of the Penn State football coaching team/administration is enough to make anyone shit their pants.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
He did not "wait a full day to report it to anyone". The incident was at 9:30 pm on a Friday
He immediately called his father from his office phone, asking his advise.
He met with and reported the incident to Paterno the next morning, Saturday.
We are saying the same thing. He saw the child being raped. He did not intervene. He called his father for advise. And waited till then next day to report it to anyone - that being Paterno.

If the university president and others did something worse, well, we do not yet have the entire story. McQuaery's (spelling is probably wrong) actions should have gotten him fired if others were only fired for not acting more responsibly. For him to not be fired and for other to be fired implies far more serious charges that we don't know about.

As I understand it, the Grand Jury investigation and a following mysterious disappearance of the DA was about another child rape. But that was not entirely clear.

BTW, if this is all it takes to fire so many top executives, then why is the Pope not resigning for all but condoning far more pedophile attacks. Double standard, The Pope has a friend in high places. How curious. Many of the Pope's friends also wear red.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #27
Lamplighter

PH45, you are right... My mistake about his age. He was 28, not 18.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #28
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
The law down here requires that. If you're any kind of teacher, child-supervisor, medical professoinal or have any other contact with a child, if you have grounds to SUSPECT child abuse you MUST report it to an appropriate authority - principal, boss, police. Failure to do so is a criminal act.

As it should be.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #29
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
The law down here requires that. If you're any kind of teacher, child-supervisor, medical professoinal or have any other contact with a child, if you have grounds to SUSPECT child abuse you MUST report it to an appropriate authority - principal, boss, police. Failure to do so is a criminal act.
But was that the law and the public attitude in 1997 when this event happened?

Somewhere before or after this event is when Sandusky suddenly resigned. I am unsure of that timeline.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sandusky was out in 1999. This happened in 2002. Paterno reported the accusation, he didn't witness, immediately to his boss, as he should.

McQueery, who witnessed the crime, went to Paterno, but not the police as he should, still works there.