The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-22-2020, 09:37 PM   #1666
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Love GrumpyCat!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #1667
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I miss grumpy cat R.I.P.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #1668
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Presumably Mrs Brownridge has yet to comment?
"Please inform Mrs. Brownridge."
Old 08-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #1669
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Helping a non-internet-savvy relative do some government stuff online, and discovered to my amusement (though admittedly, not his):

1.) In order to renew his drivers license, he must provide DPS with a copy of his birth certificate.
2.) In order to get a copy of his birth certificate, he must provide the Office of Vital Statistics with a copy of his drivers license.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #1670
monster
I hear them call the tide

but.... does the office of vital nosiness require for the license to be non-expired?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #1671
Clodfobble

Probably. Fortunately, he has many months left before it actually expires--not least because the birth certificate is going to take 12 weeks to get here, and the next available DPS appointment isn't until January.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:26 PM   #1672
monster
I hear them call the tide

still amusing, though. Here, if your Birth Cert is Foreign, you are supposed to provide a translation into English. Even if you were born in England. They let me off on that.....
Old 08-27-2020, 06:19 AM   #1673
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Helping a non-internet-savvy relative do some government stuff online, and discovered to my amusement (though admittedly, not his):

1.) In order to renew his drivers license, he must provide DPS with a copy of his birth certificate.
2.) In order to get a copy of his birth certificate, he must provide the Office of Vital Statistics with a copy of his drivers license.
That is some classic bullshit there.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #1674
glatt

Is this a Real ID renewal?

They have again postponed the requirement for a Real ID drivers license in order to fly domestically, but before they had done that, I needed to renew my license in the spring. Ifyou want the optional Real ID license, you need to bring your birth certificate, SS Card, and, IIRC, two (2) utility bills or similar to show that you live where you say you live. It's kind of random what they will accept as a utility bill. Anyway, I scrambled around to find the required random paperwork in order to get my Real ID. My wife has her name on most of that stuff because she usually processes those payments, so it was a pain for me to find acceptable proof that I lived here.

And when I was at the DMV waiting in line for an hour to get my renewal, there was a fairly steady stream of pissed off customers going back out the door empty handed after waiting in that long line because the paperwork they brought was insufficient.

It makes me a little concerned for my kids, because they have the youth license that expires sooner, but they have no utilities in their names. Zip. Nada. So how can they prove that they live here?

Ironically, a passport is easier to get, and you can use one as ID to fly when the postponed Real ID deadline rears its head again if you don't have the super special driver's license.

I'm fairly certain all of this Real ID hassle is the Republicans' doing after 9/11.

It would be really ironic if Clodfobble's relative supports Republicans.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #1675
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
The millimeter's passport incorrectly listed her birth year as being five years earlier than it actually is. As a result she is, according to the passport, no longer a minor and older than her brother. No one noticed it, not even the customs agents in germany and in the US upon her return. Her mother is all freaked out about it and wants to get it changed. I would have left it until she needed to renew.

I don't get the urgency esp. since there's nowhere that she can travel ATM.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #1676
Clodfobble

Glatt - yes, it's a RealID renewal, which is why it has to be done in person from scratch, although it was set to expire in April either way. And yeah, he does vote exclusively Republican, though he claims he's a libertarian.

He'll have issues with paperwork proving his residence, too, because he does his best to get all his mail at a post office, so his home address is actually printed on very few things. We're hoping it counts if the utility bill is addressed to a post office box but lists his house as the "service address."

As far as teens proving where they live, of course I have no idea what the law is there, but here you just have to bring a parent or other adult whose name is on the utility bill, and then that person signs an affidavit saying that the teen or whoever lives there too.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #1677
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I wonder if any state has managed to create a DMV that is efficient, competent and values respect and courtesy for its customers.
Though I have resided in several states, I have never had to deal with any but California's, which is always an unwelcome pain.
I did know a person through my work who was a DMV clerk and later a supervisor. For about twenty years it made dealings with them tolerable, but all good things pass.
When I got my "Real" ID/DL at my last renewal, I wish I could have video taped it and made millions in either the comedy or believe-it-or-not markets.

But my first question: Has any state made theirs work?
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #1678
Griff
still says videotape

The representative from PA says nope.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #1679
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You don't need the real ID if you have a passport.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #1680
Squawk
Peoploid

I think I could just about manage this run.
Attached Images

Lo-Fidelity Allstars
Squawk is offline   Reply With Quote