The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #16
busterb
NSABFD

BTW. I'm trying to get a post of around the time my rich Uncle turned me loose.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #17
busterb
NSABFD

I'll try to start when we left Germany in Jan. 63. Aboard the Upsure?
Anyway it was a troopship, about 1200 onboard. The N. Atlantic isn't nice in winter.
We had to stop in Rota, Spain and pickup some Seabees, and then drop then off in RI.
So we got off ship at Brooklyn navy yard & were carried to Ft. Hamilton, NY for discharge.
After the paper work, back pay, leave pay and a ticket back to POO. Point of origin. We're sent on our way. Most went to the Port Authority bus station to go to other airports. Think I went to NJ. Then some of us went to a bar close by. I had planned it on the trip home, when I took a shower & shaved, I tossed my dirty things in trash. So I had an empty awol bag. At the bar I bought a pint & 4 fifths of whiskey, think maybe I.W. Harper. We were 1/2 bombed when we got on plane to Atlanta.
The gal cut me off after 2 drinks. So I asked if I could please have a 7-up? Yes, ok I'll just mix my own.
I got off plane there & tried to call home or the store my folks owned. Hell I only had 4 numbers. While gone the added 3 more. I got lady working at store after a while and told her to have dad to meet me in Jackson at Thompson field. So I got off the phone and went to catch my flight. A city cop stopped me an asked for my orders. Maybe I was walking a bit sideways. Opps I had crammed all my paper work in my duffle bag to ship home from NY.
Anyway I spent the night in jail in Atlanta, which was about 20 miles from airport at that time. I paid a 15 buck find & they let me go. Hey, how about a ride to airport? Don't push it. Call a cab. The sob cop lied, he didn't change my flight. Another 6 bucks down the hole. Wonder if that's because I first begged, then tried to kick his butt?

So hello USA first night.

Dad came to pick me up, I was in lounge drinking a Bush Bavarian beer, had never heard of it. The Bavarian part sounded well, but yuk.
He walked up by me and said “see you’re having breakfast." I told him about 20 yrs. later where I spent the night. While on way home we went by the gold coast, which was across the county line from Jackson and some what wet. I hadn't told him about the whiskey in my bag. We stopped at a place to get a pint & he asked me if I remembered all the times I had asked about a scar on his arm, while small? He introduces me to a guy and says "he stabbed me when we were about your age."

I'm trying to work up to when I started working in S. LA. Then offshore and overseas.

I was having a great time. Most of the upward mobile gals thought we had money, because we owned the five & dime. I was trying to catch gals, some were after me. In Oct. I was running after my first great love, who had moved & wrecked dad's pickup. 27 days in hospital. A couple of weeks on crutches.

Got married, yeah I know. NOW
Old 06-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Was Germany any fun in the early sixties?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:13 PM   #19
busterb
NSABFD

You bet it was.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:05 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I worked with a guy that was in an armored outfit in Germany about that time. He came back an alcoholic.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #21
busterb
NSABFD

Wonder why? Beer was a dime a big glass, Coke, as in pop was $.25. Do the math
Old 06-14-2005, 06:48 PM   #22
busterb
NSABFD

Really didn't know where to post this, but BS seems to fit.
A Mule and a fool.
While read a book, Mike loaned to me. “ A Treasury of Southern Folklore.” I ran across this about the mule, if you’ve never plowed you might not understand.
I also read a reference to the Whiskey speech that I posted . here Seems like he not only was guilty of setting on the fence, but also Plagiarism .

Now for the Mule story. BTW I stole this and it’s not verbatim.
Over a hill trailed a man behind a mule drawing a plow. Unexpectedly the plow hit a root, the mule stopped, and the man began to grumble as he fixed the hames. “Bill,” Your just a mule, the son of a jackass, and I am made in the image of God. Yet here we work hitched up together year after year. I often wonder if you work for me or I work for you..
I think it’s a partnership between a mule and a fool, of surely I work as hard as you, if not harder. Plowing or cultivating we cover the same distance, but you do it on four legs and I on two, therefore I do twice as much as you.
Soon we’ll be preparing for a corn crop. When the corn is harvested I give 1/3 to the landlord for being so kind as to let me use a small speck of Gods earth. 1/3 goes to you, the rest is mine. You consume all your portion, while I divide mine among 7 children, 6 hens, 2 ducks and a store keeper. If we both need shoes, you get’em. Your getting the best of me and I ask you, is it fair for a mule, the son of a jackass to swindle a man, the lord of creation, out of his substance?
Why, you only help to plow and cultivate the ground, and I alone must cut, shock, and husk the corn, while you look over he pasture fence and heehaw at me. All fall and most of winter the whole family from baby up picks cotton to help raise enough money to pay taxes and buy a new set of harness and pay the mortgage on you. Not a thing, you ornery cuss, do you have to do. I even have to do the worrying about the mortgage on your tough, ungrateful hide.
About the only time I am your better is on election day, for I can vote and you can’t. After election I realize that I was fully as big a jackass as your papa. I’m prone to wonder if politics were made for a man or a jackass, or to make jackasses out of men. And that ain’t all Bill, when your dead that’s suppose to be the end of you. But me? The preacher tells me that when I die I may go to hell forever. That is, Bill if I don’t do as they say. And most of what they say keeps me from getting any fun out of life.

Tell me, William, considering these things, how you can keep a straight face and look so dumb and solemm?

Last edited by busterb; 06-14-2005 at 06:50 PM. Reason: sp
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:14 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And Bill doesn't have a wife and kids braying at him.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #24
busterb
NSABFD

I've been w/o power and phone for 11 days and I thought I had it bad. I made a few photos around here for insurance. But damn if I will post any. After seeing some of the things on tv, I'm humbled!
Sure I lost the stuff in my freeze and fridge.
But other than an old radio, some things that were wet, 2 bedrooms that have bad water damaged and most of my roofing gone. (Son is to help me tomorrow with tar paper on it.) I'm a lucky SOB.
Some of my friends are living in tents in S. LA. and have no jobs left to return to. Some I have no clue if they'er alive.
I feel sure there'll be enought blame to go around.

If you feel the need to help, I can't tell you how to go about it.
Some of the ice I've got here came from as far away as WI. and Conn. Someone is going to make a killing off the human suffering again.

Sorry I was a bit down, But now I feel better.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #25
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Buster, we're all really glad that you came through relatively unscathed. Those of us who were untouched by the disaster except for a temporary spike in fuel prices really cannot imagine how awful it must be for those who have lost homes, jobs and loved ones.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #26
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Glad you're back, buster!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #27
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb

Now for the Mule story. BTW I stole this and it’s not verbatim.
Over a hill trailed a man behind a mule drawing a plow. Unexpectedly the plow hit a root, the mule stopped, and the man began to grumble as he fixed the hames. “Bill,” Your just a mule, the son of a jackass, and I am made in the image of God. Yet here we work hitched up together year after year. I often wonder if you work for me or I work for you..
Busterb, your mule story sounds like one my Daddy would have told. He grew up on a tobacco farm in Kentucky during the depression and him and his brother spent a lot of time plowing the fields behind a mule. My Daddy said a mule is the most cussed animal you might ever hope to meet, but I think he had a sneaking fondness for them. He was a chief supply officer in Burma in WWII, and for a while the only way you could get supplies in to our guys fighting in the jungles there was via mule train. My Dad told how an enemy sniper aiming for him hit his lead mule instead and the mule went off the trail down over the side of the mountain. My Dad would get tears in his eyes telling that story. "Best damn mule I ever had," he used to say.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #28
busterb
NSABFD

To be in the front row?

I’ve talked to a bunch of folks since the storm. And now the Red Cross is giving vouchers for 300 bucks for head of household, and 250 for each dependent.
Dependents are swappable outside.
Most of the people set in front row at church are a bunch of sorry sob’s

I know a guy who is tied in with the chamber of commerce took his mother and got a voucher for him and 4 more grown kids. Then he went back and got one for him and his wife.

Another big time church guy is retired from the post office and had the pull to get a generator to save all. He got vouchers, and some of his kids who work for lawyers also got them.

I don’t want a damn thing but what’s coming to me. I’ve not seen anyone from insurance yet.

Does anyone, but me see something wrong with their conduct? Praise the lord?
Later I’ll have a few comments about MEA, not taste, but the pain in butt. Hey I eat c-rats years ago.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #29
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb
Does anyone, but me see something wrong with their conduct? Praise the lord?
Nobody loves a hypocrit. Just cuz they're stealing from all of us, they think its cool?
Old 09-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Unfortunately it probably reflects how the live their lives....and run their businesses.