The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-31-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

What time is it?

A congress that wants smaller government it attacking another easy target. Those so many devices that get time from a radio signal will no longer work nexts year. These Congressional extremists aer cutting costs by terminating NIST radio stations that provide time to millions of electronics.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
tw

Since its creation, the Glen Canyon Dam has paid for research and protection of the Colorado River in seven western states. Massive tax cuts for the rich must be paid for. The Don is not only halting or impeding all water quality standards and research. It is now unfunding all funding that protects the Colorado River including the Grand Canyon. Money is needed in the Treasury to pay for tax cuts for the rich.

Hundreds of programs such as this are suddenly disappearing because profits must replace a productive and healthy America.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

September is National Preparedness Month. You'd better get crackin'!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Time is now provided by GPS. Do not rely on an FM signal for your time. The satellites are much more reliable.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Time is now provided by GPS. Do not rely on an FM signal for your time. The satellites are much more reliable.
Time standard done by millions of electronics does not use FM or satellites. Too complicated. GPS requires way too much power. Neither is found in millions of current devices that get time updated from a simple, inexpensive, and nationwide NIST signal broadcast by one station.

Tax cuts for the rich must be paid for.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well, I dunno how others feel about it but FWIW my LaCrosse clock has never once picked up the frickin' signal.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
tw

Quote:
FWIW my LaCrosse clock has never once picked up the frickin' signal.
Everyone I have used or setup has worked just fine. However, you should know it does not pick up a signal immediately.

Reception is made more difficult if using electronics that violate well established emission rules. A major offender is a computer not assembled by responsible manufacturers. Most computer assemblers do not know they are responsible for those emissions - not their part suppliers. So suppliers increase profits by dumping defective hardware on naive computer assemblers. That can be one reason.

Meanwhile I have never seen a LaCrosse or any other electronics not obtain time from the necessary NIST broadcast station. Only expensive electronics that need constant recharging can use a GPS signal.

Extremists don't care. Tax cuts for the rich must be paid for. And scum bags who assemble defective computers must be protected.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My clock was just malfunctioning. LaCrosse stuff got worse over time. I had an outdoor temperature module that failed after three months. I can't think of this stuff as important time-keeping infrastructure.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Here ya go man:

μWWVB: a watch stand that picks up the time from GPS and retransmits it as a little WWVB station
Old 09-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
Mountain Mule
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Since its creation, the Glen Canyon Dam has paid for research and protection of the Colorado River in seven western states. Massive tax cuts for the rich must be paid for. The Don is not only halting or impeding all water quality standards and research. It is now unfunding all funding that protects the Colorado River including the Grand Canyon. Money is needed in the Treasury to pay for tax cuts for the rich.

Hundreds of programs such as this are suddenly disappearing because profits must replace a productive and healthy America.
What does the Colorado River have to do with time, other than the obvious?
Old 09-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

My clock radio is accurate enough for me. It doesn't involve satellites, and the only radio station involved is the one it decides to pick up.

Ba-dum, tsh.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #12
tw

Quote:
Here ya go man:
So now we must all get expensive hardware because extremists want to shut down one simple, inexpensive radio station. Just another example of why they cannot even get rid of the paper dollar bill. But would have us spend $billions every year making new ones. While terminating things that Americans need. Somehow that also saves money - only using spread sheet logic.

Does not matter what one person uses. Million use and need that time signal.

My LaCrosse stuff (and that used by others) is as much as 10 years old. All working just fine - until government extremist decide to pay for tax cuts for the rich.

60 Khz is clearly not what most time dependent devices use. It is useless. A time standard is needed even where that WWVB device cannot work. Does not matter. Extremists are only interested in advancing themselves - screw Americans. No way around that reality. If in doubt, see The Don.

Same applies to the Colorado River in seven states. Does not matter if you are not affected. It adversely affects America. And is terminated to pay for a massive tax cut for the rich. Exactly what a corrupt Don wants.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Here ya go man:

Clock Wave, a WWVB emulator app that uses the iPhone speaker as a WWVB transmitter.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:04 PM   #14
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
… time updated from a simple, inexpensive, and nationwide NIST signal broadcast by one station...
Quote:
… want to shut down one simple, inexpensive radio station. ...
There are stations at two locations, WWV and WWVB in the state of Colorado (longwave broadcasts) and WWVH (shortwave broadcasts) on the island of Kauai in the state of Hawaii.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #15
Flint
Snowflake

Does this mean my "Atomic Clock" is going to stop working?

BIG GOVERNMENT TYRANNY MUST BE STOPPED LIONEL RICHIE KILLED PIZZAGHAZI
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote