The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2002, 12:45 PM   #16
middlefunger
highly unstable

Big Cats

In response to a couple of folks reservations about owning big cats. Yeah, they are dangerous. Extremely. Even if you raise them from kittens, you have to be extremely careful around them. Like Sleemanj and CharlieG say, they can hurt you very, very badly. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there that don't realize that. So, they get them as kittens, and when something goes wrong (like they bite Miffy-the-toilet-brush-dog's head off), they abandon them to a local animal shelter. The shelter's typically have someone they can turn too, but, often times they have to destroy the cat, because there is no one that can care for it properly. I would like to be someone that cares for them.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:16 PM   #17
sapienza
Resident Denizen

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Sorry but noone should own a big cat. The belong in the fucking wild, there are few enough of them as it is.
Psssh, well, of course <i>Jaguar</i> is going to think that way ... you're way too close to the issue to be unbiased, man!
sapienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:35 PM   #18
Nic Name
retired

Quote:
Originally posted by sleemanj

Personally I've always wanted to have a black leopard or jaguar around the house.
Personally, I've always wanted to have a black Jaguar in the garage.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 06:04 PM   #19
sleemanj
Infamous Defamer

Re: Big Cats

Quote:
Originally posted by middlefunger
So, they get them as kittens, and when something goes wrong (like they bite Miffy-the-toilet-brush-dog's head off), they abandon them to a local animal shelter. The shelter's typically have someone they can turn too, but, often times they have to destroy the cat, because there is no one that can care for it properly. I would like to be someone that cares for them.
Sadly, it's the same with many pets of all species though - once the novelty wears off they pet goes out the door. Every xmas the RNZSPCA runs an ad campaign here, something like "A dog is not just for christmas." - something to that effect anyway. My family has personally taken in several cats & dogs no longer wanted by thier owners over the years (currently we have 3 dogs and somewhere in the region of 10 cats :-)).

I don't think a private individual would be permitted to keep a big cat in this country anyway, indeed in many areas attempts are underway to ban housecats (they pose a threat to native birds).
sleemanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 06:06 PM   #20
sapienza
Resident Denizen

Ban <i>housecats</i>???

You gotta be kidding, right? Or do you mean, ban housecats being allowed to be outside.

sapienza
sapienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:10 PM   #21
Griff
still says videotape

I took our Aussie in to be "tutored" (old Farside Pun) today *sniff*. Of course this hits Jag close to home as well, so I will speak of it no more.

El gato grande, Sap. Some clown near my place was rumored to have ah... misplaced a mountain lion a few years ago. The Game Commision denies the existance of a lion population in PA but I know a few folks who claim to have spotted one and the Wylusing Rocket (newspaper) ran a story about a series of sightings in the Mansfield PA area. Under these conditions, its important that every person own a dog who is either faithful... or slow.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:42 PM   #22
Nic Name
retired

The Bengal Cat may be of interest to the exotic cat lovers in the Cellar.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:46 PM   #23
sophie
Person Who Has Posted

domestic/big cat hybrids!

Love these big babies!!!! I agree that most people don't have the required facilities/permits/knowledge and training to have wild cats at home...but this is exactly why exciting new breeds are being created by outcrossing domestic and wild cats.The result are great,intelligent,beautiful animals with sweet temperament AND the amazing look of a jungle creature!!
There is the Bengal cat (from the Asian Leopard Cat), the Savannah (from the african Serval)...the Safari (from the Geoffroy's Cat),the Bristol (from the Margay),the Chausie (from the Asian Jungle Cats),the Kanaani or Canaan(from the Felis lybica gordonii)...etc etc!
There is actually an hybrid being created specifically from the fishing cat,called a Bagral-or Machbagral. (visit www.embercreek.com for more infos)

There's a lot of information about these new breeds on the Net(www.hybridbeauty.com)....I own two Bengal crosses myself,and they are the most athletic,intelligent,inquisitive and well-behaved cats I ever owned!!! They are quite fascinated with water,and the older one loves to play fetch-just like a dog!
The new breeds are the results of careful outcrossing,removed 2 or 3 generations from their wild "grandparents",so are mostly domestic in nature-use cat litters faithfully,eat regular good quality catfood,and are actually easier to train since they are quite intelligent.
I wouldn't worry about a Bengal or a Savannah attacking me in the middle of the night,the worst that can happen is that they outcrowd you in bed!!!! >^..^<
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:38 PM   #24
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I personally think they're cute. Plus, it's amazing that they have evolved in that manner.
How is this amazing? Tigers swim all the time.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:03 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about a Bengal or a Savannah attacking me in the middle of the night,the worst that can happen is that they outcrowd you in bed!!!! >^..^<
I don't know if that's the worst that "CAN" happen. My buddy had a plain old tomcat that was pretty big (24 lbs). He could do a lot of damage if he was so inclined.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:45 PM   #26
juju
no one of consequence

Heh. I was wondering why Tony didn't use the phrase "It turns out that...". It's because this thread nearly 1 1/2 years old! :)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:48 PM   #27
juju
no one of consequence

By the way, these hybrid species are clearly completely made up, since we all know evolution is B.S.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:44 PM   #28
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Quote:
Originally posted by sapienza
Ban <i>housecats</i>???

You gotta be kidding, right? Or do you mean, ban housecats being allowed to be outside.

sapienza
ban 'em...mace 'em.... gas 'em....any aeresol or chemical that you can light with a match.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:08 AM   #29
bmgb
Master of the Domain

I personally don't understand why we have to breed all sorts of new cats, when there are millions of other cats already that need homes. Because they're bigger?

Just do like I did... Get a cat from a shelter and feed her well.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:09 AM   #30
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Re: domestic/big cat hybrids!

Quote:
Originally posted by sophie
>^..^<
Hey Sophie, I've never seen anyone use my little kitty face before, well I actually use >^~^<

Mama Loves You Baby Girl ~ May You Rest In Peace
LUVBUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal, cat