The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

what Dani said. They look like petulant children.

they're gonna take their ball and go home.

go ahead; Boehner is a complete joke and the rest of them are tired old white men who already made their millions---they don't need to court anybody anymore-esp. a black dude.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
glatt

What's pissing me off this morning? The Virginia Republicans are cheaters. Fucking cheaters.

The Virginia State Senate is split 50/50 between Democrats and Republicans. On Inauguration Day, one Democrat went to Washington DC to participate in the Inauguration. So while he was out of town, on a federal holiday, the Virginia Republicans pushed through a surprise bill (with only 30 minutes of floor debate) that would redistrict Virginia and take 6 Virginia State Senate seats away from Democrats, and make the Republicans have a solid majority in the Virginia State Senate. The Virginia House is already Republican, so they will most likely pass the Senate's bill, and the Governor is a Republican too. He is criticizing the partisanship of this bill, but refuses to say that he won't sign it into law.

The fucking cheater Republicans in Virginia have consolidated their power through cheating even as the voters in the state are Democrats by statistically significant margin. The 2012 Virginia election went to Obama 51.2% to the Republicans 47.3%.

I want to know why the Virginia Senate is even in session on Inauguration Day. That seems very disrespectful to me. The bill passed 20 to 19, with that one Democrat away at Inauguration and not voting.

It's pathetic that the only way the Republicans can hold on to power in Virginia is to cheat. And it seems to be working.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

that's really dirty work.

it's also the Republican way.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
What's with the Repubicans ? --snip--

and the re-Pubic's are saying

--snip
Now, I'm all for foolin around, I read a book once on the subject of humor and liked it.
Maybe you're just joking around--if so--I am sorry I missed the joke. However...

Dude. Please don't do shit like this.
It was immature and unhelpful when other dwellars resorted
to this kind of childish name calling. Repeating such a mistake has zero upside.
It makes you look like a fool. Don't talk like a fool and expect to be treated seriously.
I'm not really disagreeing with your comments.
Words DO matter.

But at times the use of a word is so subtle it doesn't get through the fog.
For example, your quote should have been the full sentence:
Quote:
and the re-Pubic's are saying it's a Democrat holiday.
Languages are fluid and this is an example of what how Republicans use the word.
Most people now don't notice the difference, but there is a political message
in the use of "Democrat" as an adjective, not as a noun.

Check out Wikipedia's section on it's use as an epithet.

Maybe after this tit-for-tat, the next time a Republican uses the word "Democrat",
the true intent of their message will be more apparent.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
Lamplighter

Quote:
What's with the Repubicans ?
<snip>
But then, maybe a black U.S. President being inaugurated on a
federal holiday celebrating a black hero of civil rights is more
telling about today's Republican Party than it first appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
or it could mean they simply have no respect for the man or his policies.
or they don't like his shoes. or his wife. or maybe they just wanted to go fishing.
or wash their hair.

Really, why does it matter? <snip>
@ Lookout:
It matters in the same sense you probably learned in the AF.
You showed respect and saluted the rank, not the person in the uniform.

It also matters in the sense that Members of Congress are elected
to serve as representatives of all their district or state.

Their person opinions, unlike yours or mine as private citizens,
do not merit disrespectful or racist behavior, particularly when
it comes from the leadership of the Republican Party.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

@Lamplighter.

No, my quote stands.

When other people talk shit, I take it to them. When you repeat their shit, that's up to you--I have no desire to perpetuate it. You said "re-Pubics" said this and that. My complaint is your use of language, not theirs.

I do agree that the increasingly common use you describe above is misuse, I just decline to fuel their fire. Those who use it that way sound stupid or small or mean or all of the above and that's their privilege. I did see it. I did ignore it. I commented on your words, because I can speak to you and your deliberate use of language.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Lamplighter

Quote:
@Lamplighter.
No, my quote stands.
<snip>
OK, thank you for the reprimand.

Peace.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
@ Lookout:
It matters in the same sense you probably learned in the AF.
You showed respect and saluted the rank, not the person in the uniform.

It also matters in the sense that Members of Congress are elected
to serve as representatives of all their district or state.

Their person opinions, unlike yours or mine as private citizens,
do not merit disrespectful or racist behavior, particularly when
it comes from the leadership of the Republican Party.
Last time I checked the president, senate, and house are not in a chain of command. Respecting the rank is irrelevent. I'm not an elected official so my opinion and actions aren't worth sand at this point, but when I wore the uniform I would have saluted Obama if in his presence. Today? I wouldn't hold the fucking door open for him. To be fair I wouldn't for most of the slime on either side of the aisle either. He's just a man. I owe him nothing and neither do Boehner and whoever else decided not to pose for the cameras.

If, in their estimation, there was nothing to lose by showing up then I see no problem in their absence. It's their call. to be fair, they had nothing to gain by attending either. The hard left would still hate them, the hard right would still exalt them and I would still feel the way I do about all of these men and women. Whatever.

and please do me a favor and drop the racist bullshit. People can despise his policies and dislike the man without being racist. I'm fairly certain BigV and many other dwellars hated GWB, and that certainly wasn't do to his being white. It's a lazy way to discredit and dehumanize those who don't agree with you and yours.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
What's pissing me off this morning? The Virginia Republicans are cheaters. Fucking cheaters.

The Virginia State Senate is split 50/50 between Democrats and Republicans. On Inauguration Day, one Democrat went to Washington DC to participate in the Inauguration. So while he was out of town, on a federal holiday, the Virginia Republicans pushed through a surprise bill (with only 30 minutes of floor debate) that would redistrict Virginia and take 6 Virginia State Senate seats away from Democrats, and make the Republicans have a solid majority in the Virginia State Senate. The Virginia House is already Republican, so they will most likely pass the Senate's bill, and the Governor is a Republican too. He is criticizing the partisanship of this bill, but refuses to say that he won't sign it into law.

The fucking cheater Republicans in Virginia have consolidated their power through cheating even as the voters in the state are Democrats by statistically significant margin. The 2012 Virginia election went to Obama 51.2% to the Republicans 47.3%.

I want to know why the Virginia Senate is even in session on Inauguration Day. That seems very disrespectful to me. The bill passed 20 to 19, with that one Democrat away at Inauguration and not voting.

It's pathetic that the only way the Republicans can hold on to power in Virginia is to cheat. And it seems to be working.
I don't think the Republicans are limiting their goals to "holding on to power in Virginia". Here's another story about the same group of legislators and how they're manipulating the rules to increase their leverage by changing how Electoral College votes are distributed. These new State Senatorial districts you describe glatt, they're going to be the basis for distributing electoral votes. They're reaching for presidential impact by giving real national currency to the changes in state districts you describe.
Quote:

Perhaps recognizing the limitations of keeping voters from the polls, Republicans have designed a new strategy for 2016: Selective changes to the electoral college that only favor Republican presidential candidates.

Currently, in all but two states, electoral college votes are allocated on a winner-take-all stasis. Republicans, who for years have toiled to capture the low interest, backwater of U.S. politics, state legislatures, to control redistricting of congressional seats, now want to leverage selectively their advantage to rewrite the rules of presidential elections. Their proposal is to award electoral votes proportionally by congressional district, the very districts they gerrymandered, stuffing as many Democrats as possible into the fewest districts possible. This is how Republicans have solidified their advances in congressional elections; now, in a select number of battleground states where they control the legislatures and the congressional delegations, they want to award electoral votes by congressional district thus off-setting the trends in popular vote favoring Democrats.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post

Well, they made Stephen Colbert's alpha dogs of the week. You should be proud...

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...te-republicans
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #26
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Turns out the Republican governor of Florida has decided that "ObamaCare" is a good idea after all.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottgot...ew-care-about/
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #27
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Turns out the Republican governor of Florida has decided that "ObamaCare" is a good idea after all.
Maybe they suddenly remembered that the concept was originally proposed and promoted by conservative Republican thinks tanks.

But then that would be viewing the product rather than believe political rhetoric. So maybe some Republicans decided they do not want America to fail after all. Or maybe they just rediscovered their pre-frontal cortex.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
tw

Extremists say they want America to fail. And so another benchmark happens today. An example of what happens when too many are brainwashed by political rhetoric rather than use their prefrontal cortex.

Why could I so easily see through the myths of Saddam's WMDs? One powerful source of honesty were four reports from Frontline. History has repeatedly demonstrated that Frontline is a critical source of knowledge.

Frontline goes directly to people involved in our current economic Cliffhanger. Every day in the news are soundbytes and rhetoric. What are facts behind that spin? Frontline from PBS.org lets the players say what they were really doing and discussing.

After a round of golf, Obama and Boehmer sat down for a talk. (BTW, guess who won. The team of Boehmer and Obama.) Boehmer then suggested hammering out a most signifianct and dangerous agreement that would really solve America's economic problem. Obama agreed to his proposal - the Grand Bargin. Until the wackos (ie Eric Cantor) discovered Boehmer and Obama were trying to make America prosperous.

What preceeded and followed? Most have heard snippets, soundbytes, or dots in the news. Frontline's Cliffhanger is where the players connect those dots. Frontline demonstrates why barginning has been perverted by wacko extremists.

Boehmer has a problem. His position as Speaker of the House was so threatened after the Grand Bargin was discovered by wacko extremist Republicans. So Boehmer had to back off from all future negotiations. At one point, he refused to take Obama's phone calls. Boehmer is now preaching rhetoric and lies of Eric Cantor, Rush Limbaugh, and Norquist. Why is he talking so differently? No more Grand Bargin is possible now that he was cornered by Republican extremists. Boehmer was at risk by similar tactics that undermined Gingrich. These wackos remains a problem because too many Americans are brainwashed by rhetoric that has one purpose - to make America fail. So that Obama will fail.

Frontline's Cliffhanger is especially useful for observers outside the States to understand what is really meant by Washington soundbytes currently reported the news.

Last edited by tw; 03-01-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #29
tw

From The Register of 5 Mar 2013:
Quote:
US lawmaker blames bicycle breath for global warming gas
A Washington state representative has uncovered a previously under-reported source of greenhouse gas: huffing and puffing cyclists.

Ed Orcutt, who lists "Tax relief" at the top of his legislative priorities and who was 2000's Washington Young Republican Federation Man of the Year, emailed the owner of a Tacoma, Washington, bike shop who had written him to protest a proposed tax on bicycles, part of a larger state transportation bill.

Although he noted that he was "not a fan" of many tax proposals, Orcutt argued that "it only makes sense that bicyclists would also be required to pay for the 'roads' they use when they are actually biking on them." He then added his belief that two-wheeled transport is polluting the environment:
"You claim that it is environmentally friendly to ride a bike. But if I am not mistaken, a cyclists [sic] has an increased heart rate and respiration. That means that the act of riding a bike results in greater emissions of carbon dioxide from the rider. Since CO2 is deemed to be a greenhouse gas and a pollutant, bicyclists are actually polluting when they ride."
Why did Saddam have WMDs? Why do tax cuts not recreate a (predicted) recession? Why is global warming an evil trick from the liberal media? Why do wacko extremists need all research into gun violence banned? Why can a woman not get pregnant from a rape?

Wacko extremists know the truth. Invent facts to prove it. After all, ideology knows what is true.

Bicyclists are clearly a most common source of global warming.

Well, he finally admitted the existence of global warming. That is progress.

So we solve global warming by raping women. Then kids will not be born to grow up and ride bicycles. Their political agenda says it must be true.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #30
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

Heh! If the Republicans think cyclists are bad, what about all those joggers? What about hikers and walkers, not to mention cross country skiers? And then there's all those culprits who go work out at the gym. And speaking of heavy breathing... Well, I'll let Bruce explain about that.

I guess the environmentally aware must now become couch potatoes who have taken a vow of celibacy. That would also solve the abortion problem and us women would be spared vaginal ultrasound exams.

Thank you, Republicans. We knew you would finally come through for everyone at last.

sent by - what else? A bicycle nessenger guy