The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Whither 99 and HB?

Hi folks, just plugged my recharged laptop into a friend's working phone line to let y'all know that we have weathered the hurricane safely and without damage, but have been without phone for 2 1/2 weeks (due to pre-hurricane lightning strike) and without electricity since Thursday at 3:00 am. Unfortunately, neither is likely to be restored before this Friday! (The kids will be out of school at least through Tuesday.)

The neighbors got together 2 nights in a row for a giant meat-fest, but there is only so much meat one can eat, and we have all since had to toss the contents of our freezers.

Fortunately, my kids are already used to no TV, but even they are getting sick of the good ol' family games we've been playing by candlelight every night. (My friends are getting a kick out of me typing away on my Powerbook by candlelight.)

Anyway, we have lots of friends who have worse conditions, such as no water, due to electric pump for the well, or chunks of trees in their homes, or six feet of water in the basement. For me, however, the combination of no phone and no power (and a goddamned electric range) has become wearysome.

For HB the lack of internet for diversion during his off hours (he works odd hours these days) has been the hardest part (although putting up with my bickering kids is no picnic -- but he hasn't said anything yet).

Gotta go; I've got a line of people who want to check their e-mail. Hope everyone else is faring well!
Old 09-21-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Woo Hoo! Glad you're doing ok. I'm not at all sorry to have missed this storm.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Good news, 99. Roughing it indoors because you have to isn't nearly as fun as doing it outdoors on purpose, is it?
Old 09-21-2003, 08:38 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

We were down in your neck of the woods Friday. A real mess. Glad you guys are okay.

From what we saw, power outages were sporadic in the areas we were in (mainly Woodlawn and east of downtown): Along Security Blvd. in Woodlawn and Route 24 on the way to Bel Air, some stoplights were working while others weren't. Some businesses were up and running, others looked like they didn't even open Friday.

Last we talked to Rho's parents (who live in Woodlawn), they lost their power Thursday night. Not sure if it's back on, though I assume we would have heard from them if it wasn't.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Re: Whither 99 and HB?

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 44/100% pure
(My friends are getting a kick out of me typing away on my Powerbook by candlelight.)
That is a funny picture.

Good luck guys.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 AM   #6
dave

So, uh, what kinda PowerBook you got?