The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-27-2005, 11:54 PM   #76
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The new one.

Johnny Depp has a kind of wierd Michael Jackson vibe going on throughout the movie, but it is definitely worth the watching.

Much closer to the book. The morality tale aspects are very, very clear.

There is a wee little Tim Burton-y touch which alters the storyline, but it works.

The Oompa-Loompas are quite disturbing. Beautifully done.

There's this effect too, with many of the characters' eyes and skin, that is just creepily perfect.

There are a couple of things that I assume are nods to the Original Film ... some of the things in the Chocolate Mixing Room, for example, are very like the world of Pure Imagination that Gene Wilder introduced us to.

I watched it with my friend's kids tonight, and am looking forward to seeing it again without family-style interruptions ("Can you put it on pause, I have to go to the bathroom." "Is that a real chocolate bar?" "Aunt Teeva!! Krysta sat on my bear. She squished it!!")

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #77
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Squishing a bear seems like a bona-fide emergency to me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #78
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I took my kids to see it in the theaters, somewhat against my better judgement, and they were both transfixed for the entire movie--which says something about how good it was. (They also liked Corpse Bride so I rented The Nightmare Before Christmas, which I had never seen, but they thought it was a snooze.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #79
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Nightmare Before Christmas is hall of fame material in HouseofV. SonofV went trick or treating as Jack Skellington! Haven't seen Corpse Bride yet, waiting for used dvd stage of market pentration.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:15 PM   #80
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I loved Nightmare Before Christmas but wasn't 100% sure about Corpse Bride. I can't remember now whether I really liked Nightmare the first time I saw it - I was in a bit of a sticky situation & saw it twice at the cinema with 2 different men, then again on video pretending I'd never seen it before. By that time I was singing along to the songs

Also I walked to the cinema in new boots when I saw Corpse Bride. Takes something away from your viewing pleasure when you have blisters on the soles of your feet.

So I'll give it another try when it comes out on DVD - if I leave it long enough there's bound to be a deal if you buy both together.

Intending to get Descent out this week - its always been out when I've tried before.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:19 PM   #81
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've been watching the special features on Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy. It's a fun movie. I was leery of Marvin when I first saw him, but I think he works. I'm still not sure about the whole John Malkovich plot change, though.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #82
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I love the cameo by the "real" (tv series) Marvin.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 11-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #83
warch
lurkin old school

Over thanksgiving we rewatched Babette's Feast and then watched To Be and To Have. Sweet movies.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #84
glatt

Watched War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise over the weekend. At first, I felt a lot of suspense, but as the movie wore on, it became boring, and I was wondering when it would be over.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #85
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
At first, I felt a lot of suspense, but as the movie wore on, it became boring, and I was wondering when it would be over.
I wonder if Katies thinking the same thing?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #86
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I am half-watching, half-listening to SNL Christmas. Has such classic clips as Eddie Murphy's Mr. Robinson's Christmas, Chris Farley's Down by the River Guy as Dept. Store Santa, and of course, The Hanukkah Song.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #87
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

We're No Angels (1955) A Christmas comedy of sorts with Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, and Aldo Ray.

Quote:
We came here to rob them and that's what we're gonna do - beat their heads in, gouge their eyes out, slash their throats. Soon as we wash the dishes
Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 PM   #88
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

this is going to sound gross , but a while back i was at the dump working on a couple of scales ( yes they weigh trash ) and a whole truck load of dvd's came in , you should have SEEN the guys from the yard swarming like rats !!!
I walked off with an arm load as well , most seem to work ok , all exept the " girls gone wild " , some asshole broke it in half !!!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:59 AM   #89
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Double Feature!

Christmas with the Kranks, with Jamie Lee Curtis, Tim Allen and Dan Akroyd. Pretty funny, and wildly exceeded my expectations (of zero). I felt sympathetic to Tim Allen's character. His day will come.

War of the Worlds, with Dakota Fanning, Tom Cruise and Meryl Streep's lost twin (forget her name). I enjoyed watching the film, and I didn't have the "when will it all end" boredom problem reported elsewhere. Tim Robbins did a good job, too. The effects were incredible. Very tense movie.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #90
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
all exept the " girls gone wild " , some asshole broke it in half !!!!!
I think the term you're searching for there is probably "outraged mom" or "outraged wife."

Tags
movies