The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
And also forget Lot got off scott-free both for destroying his wife and laying with his daughters.
I thought God destroyed Lot's wife (Ado or Edith) by turning her into a pillar of salt for looking back?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

No, that was a typo. she was looking black.

Racism, like homophobia, is alive and kicking.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #18
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Spexx, Classic's post makes complete sense to me. Racism as a widespread political/ social/ personal motivator will slowly cease to exist. At least I hope so. But there will always be those who follow behind social/ economic and political trends. The Amish for example - their numbers are so small as to not be significiant. And the influence of the Mormons...
I disagree. I see racism, like sexism and other social doctrines, as dynamic doctrines that fluctuate and change with time depending on the social conditions. The stereotypical white/black racism has certainly decreased in the past 70 years but even that has changed from a very direct racism to an indirect "no one to blame" type racism. Although, especially from talking to peers my age, I don't see the white/black racism disappearing as long cultural tensions exist since that is, in my opinion, the main factor keeping it alive today.

I don't think we can guess where it will head either. If cultural tensions and the inequality gap between white and black Americans decrease a full integration of the two groups may eventually happen. On the other hand, if social conditions go to complete shit then I would expect people to act like they always have: blame the group that is different from them.

Also, just because white/black racism is the most observed doesn't mean it can be labeled as racism in its entirety. The history of the US is a great example of different types of racism. Anglo-Saxxons used to be very racist against the Irish, Poles, and Scandinavians, but today most people couldn't tell if you are 100% Irish, Polish, or Swedish unless you have an accent. The elimination of those types of racism occurred because culturally they combined while this didn't happen with blacks, natives, or Hispanics.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I'm getting closer every day to becoming anti people.

People suck, fuck everybody.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I disagree. I see racism, like sexism and other social doctrines, as dynamic doctrines that fluctuate and change with time depending on the social conditions.
Who cares. Most people don't. Well except for Jessie Jackson and Al "Brawley" Sharpton. It is bullshit. The Man is President. He may be a White-Black Man (Like Zimmerman the White-Hispanic) but "The Man" is now a black dude. It's over.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #21
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
I thought God destroyed Lot's wife (Ado or Edith) by turning her into a pillar of salt for looking back?
Yebbut, God gave him rules. He disobeyed. Who suffered? His wife - wiped out for no reason apart from Lot's behaviour.

Not saying God's unfair or anything... just that he doesn't value women or children.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #22
Rhianne
Nearly done.

[quote=TheMercenary;812100]Who cares. Most people don't. QUOTE]

Do you mean 'most people' or most people like you?

I think you're right, most people don't care, but all of those who understand what the problem is with racism do care.

I find it very strange when I read that folk think that the whole of the world's race related issues have been solved in one go when one country elects a half-black (no one ever says half-white) president.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #23
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I have never gotten that impression from anyone Rhianne. (about the black president thing) I know some people, myself included, see it as an indication that times are changing, but not that all the problems are solved.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I have white skin. According to the latest census 'minority' births now outnumber 'white' births.

I am now a minority.

Wheeeeeeeere's mah special prgrams?
Wheeeeeeeere's mah NAAWP?
Wheeeeeeeere's mah check?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #25
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Yebbut, God gave him rules. He disobeyed. Who suffered? His wife - wiped out for no reason apart from Lot's behaviour.

Not saying God's unfair or anything... just that he doesn't value women or children.
But, she's the one who looked back. If she hadn't looked back...

Old 05-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I have white skin. According to the latest census 'minority' births now outnumber 'white' births.

I am now a minority.

Wheeeeeeeere's mah special prgrams?
Wheeeeeeeere's mah NAAWP?
Wheeeeeeeere's mah check?
No you're not. Not yet. Takes a while for the birthrate to have a strong impact on demographics. The largest single group in America, at a little over half the population, is still whitey :p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #27
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
The largest single group in America, at a little over half the population, is still whitey
Was. That has changed with the popularity of tanning saloons.

After all, racism is only about a first impression. So many want to be the pretty people.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #28
TheMercenary

[quote=Rhianne;812139]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Who cares. Most people don't. QUOTE]

Do you mean 'most people' or most people like you?
I don't care.

Quote:
I find it very strange when I read that folk think that the whole of the world's race related issues have been solved in one go when one country elects a half-black (no one ever says half-white) president.
Or when they elect a half White-half truly African American President but yet continue to call him "Black" and call Zimmerman a "White-Hispanic".
Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #29
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae

The angels said "Don't look back" to Lot, his wife, and his daughters all in a group. Lot's wife was the only one who looked back, so she turned into a pillar of salt.

Not to say the ancient Jewish culture valued women and children all that much after all. I mean, in the very next passage God condones it when Lot's daughters get him drunk and have sex with him, because there's no one else around to get them pregnant as God inherently wants them to be.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #30
TheMercenary

You say that like it is a bad thing....