The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I was thinking

yes yes, crack all the jokes you like, but seriously, I really have!

I was thinking about how usually when I'm posting on the cellar, I'm stone cold sober because that's the time of day the forum is busy. In the evenings and over the weekend here, things are usually pretty quiet from where I'm sitting.

Anyway, I was thinking that, because I don't have the same wit as Zen, or calm that casi has etc, might be why, when I'm posting stone cold sober; my posts come off sounding a bit preachy or up myself.

I have to say that mostly I'm a pretty laid back sort of chick, and it always surprises me that some people around here think I'm such a cow, cause in real life, I'm generally pretty well respected and appreciated by family, friends and my community.

It just makes me wonder if I'm just completely useless at expressing myself in written form cause I sure seem to piss some people off without even meaning to.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I think you're just loyal to merc because he did you a good turn IRL. The rest of us are reacting to what he actually writes on our forum which is frankly terrible stuff. He had good points buried in his comments but he gets so angry he can't put together a rational response.

The Congressional Record scrap is indicative. F and B made a nice explanation of how it could be useful, but there has long been a libertarian desire to see the endless parade of garbage being put into the record stopped. Seen in this light Beohnor could actually be seen as gutsy by some, but really he just threw the baby out with the bath water. As we get more information, the bin Laden deal looks like an execution not a fire-fight and that is probably not how these Seal guys see themselves. Showing up unarmed bin Laden probably thought he'd get a bully pulpit rather than a bullet in the eye because he misjudged Obama's adherence to realpolitik believing in the cartoonish waffler some claim he is. Merc probably feels ST6 was missused, but the mad dog was silenced for the good of the country.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Tulip
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post

It just makes me wonder if I'm just completely useless at expressing myself in written form cause I sure seem to piss some people off without even meaning to.
You're not useless because it really can be difficult to convey yourself in text. All we see are prints.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Nirvana
Back in 10

I enjoy you are part of this community. If people get pissed off they will get over it.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
...I was thinking...
I thought it was thunder.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I Like haveing you around Ali ,
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I like you, Ali. I admit that there are some posts I skip over because I just get bored. I have an unconscionably short attention span. This is why I rarely post anything of substance. That, and I know most people will disagree with me and debate with me, which I am not very good at. Anyway, you are not one of the posters who I usually skip (unless you are talking about something I have no idea about, like Australian politics...please don't take offense to that. I skip over a lot of American political threads for the same reason.)

I am also not usually a dogpile onto poster A or poster B, kind of person. So what if you get along with Merc? Does that mean you are a big bad meanie? I don't think so.

I try to get along with everyone. I try not to piss people off, and I try not to get pissed off about what other people post to other people. Usually, I don't even get pissed off about what other people post about or to me. But, fortunately, people have been pretty cool toward me.

Except in the case with pam. I just found that whole ordeal entirely too entertaining to resist. But, then I found myself feeling like a shit for making fun. I'd still do it again, though.

Btw, Ali, I have been meaning to ask you some questions about mangos. Maybe I should start a new thread for that.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I think you're just loyal to merc because he did you a good turn IRL. The rest of us are reacting to what he actually writes on our forum which is frankly terrible stuff. He had good points buried in his comments but he gets so angry he can't put together a rational response.

The Congressional Record scrap is indicative. F and B made a nice explanation of how it could be useful, but there has long been a libertarian desire to see the endless parade of garbage being put into the record stopped. Seen in this light Beohnor could actually be seen as gutsy by some, but really he just threw the baby out with the bath water. As we get more information, the bin Laden deal looks like an execution not a fire-fight and that is probably not how these Seal guys see themselves. Showing up unarmed bin Laden probably thought he'd get a bully pulpit rather than a bullet in the eye because he misjudged Obama's adherence to realpolitik believing in the cartoonish waffler some claim he is. Merc probably feels ST6 was missused, but the mad dog was silenced for the good of the country.
Thanks for your input Griff, but this actually had nothing to do with the situation with merc. I'm pretty ok with what people think of me over my relationship with him. I realise most people are able to separate that from all my other posts and that's fine. FTR, I agree with most of your post though.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Aliantha

Thanks to you others for your kind words. I was pretty smashed when I wrote this post. In fact, I'd forgotten I'd written it till I logged on this morning.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

lol

Nothing like posting drunk and then forgetting you did it :p

Humour often goes awry in a forum setting. Especially when people are posting from different parts of the world. Even with the same language, and an apparently similar basis for humour, there're often tonal differences to that humour.

Add to that the different individual senses of humour, and the lack ofnon verbal cues to add layers of meaning, and it's hardly surprising some of it misses the mark.

I read a comment in another forum relating to British and US comedy and drama shows. They were talking about a couple of different brit shows (I think Being Human was one of them) and one poster said that they didn't much like british comedy because we seem too 'uptight'. *shrugs* sometimes humour doesn;t travel.

I know what you mean though Ali. There are times I think I must come across as a very serious *serious face* person, almost to the point of humourlessness. But I'm actually very laid back most of the time and a complete hedonist.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Thanks for your input Griff, but this actually had nothing to do with the situation with merc.
Whoops! Oh well, I like you being here wet or dry.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
penis spam
looking for my true love

I have always like you Mr Ali. You were a great boxer. Would you send me an autographed picture? Please don't make it too big. I live on the fifth floor. We do not have an elevator. I have to go to the basement to climb the stairs to my apartment
penis spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
calm that casi has ...

Watch me being calm and centred...

Last edited by casimendocina; 05-06-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Was that an 'and' in a foreign language?
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
casimendocina
Professor

Ali, you're one of the reasons I stick around here.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #15
Aliantha

Gee Casi, now I really feel loved.