The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #31
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Everyone who is stockpiling guns and ammunition, don't forget a basic bow and arrow, with lots of arrows. Cheaper, quieter and reusable projectiles.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 AM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

SURVIVAL PROTIPS

A good 75 pounds of fat, stored on your body, will help get you through those periods of no available food.

During a disaster, your mobile phone network may not work and your phone's battery will eventually drain. Be sure to keep a printed copy of your contacts so you can manually enter them into a new phone.

In some areas, potable water falls from the sky as rain. Be sure to stock conical items, such as megaphones, so you can collect it easily.

Out of ammunition? Remember that sex, or the withholding of it, can be used as a weapon. If that doesn't work, try passive aggressive behavior, or the use of emotionally charged insults.

You don't have to run faster than the bears, just faster than your friends. As a part of your disaster preparation plans, make friends with a lot of gimpy people.

Tortillas are a great emergency pantry food and last a long time, but be sure to stock salsa or they will be boring.

If civil society fails, you will be able to drive at any speed on the highways, but driving fast wastes fuel. Your hideaway location will still be there. Slow down, relax and enjoy the drive.

Instead of matches, stock plain old Bic lighters, which are good for thousands of lights and will still work if they get wet and dry out. However, the red ones are considered unlucky. Discard them during preparation.

ATMs will not have any cash, but carbon credits are a valuable world currency that never expires. Plant those trees now!

Younger looters taste better. Older ones are tough and stringy.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #33
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Lately I've been thinking of buying gold as an investment but it less handy than paper money for wiping and useless for starting fires.

I guess you could clunk some beast over the head with a gold bar though.
If you load your own ammunition and cast your own bullets, you can cast them in gold rather than from molten lead. That way your gold makes the weight cut since it can also be used as ammo in defense of your own life; or, to put game on the table. Those who can't afford gold can go the Lone Ranger route.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #34
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
SURVIVAL PROTIPS

A good 75 pounds of fat, stored on your body, will help get you through those periods of no available food.

During a disaster, your mobile phone network may not work and your phone's battery will eventually drain. Be sure to keep a printed copy of your contacts so you can manually enter them into a new phone.

In some areas, potable water falls from the sky as rain. Be sure to stock conical items, such as megaphones, so you can collect it easily.

Out of ammunition? Remember that sex, or the withholding of it, can be used as a weapon. If that doesn't work, try passive aggressive behavior, or the use of emotionally charged insults.

You don't have to run faster than the bears, just faster than your friends. As a part of your disaster preparation plans, make friends with a lot of gimpy people.

Tortillas are a great emergency pantry food and last a long time, but be sure to stock salsa or they will be boring.

If civil society fails, you will be able to drive at any speed on the highways, but driving fast wastes fuel. Your hideaway location will still be there. Slow down, relax and enjoy the drive.

Instead of matches, stock plain old Bic lighters, which are good for thousands of lights and will still work if they get wet and dry out. However, the red ones are considered unlucky. Discard them during preparation.

ATMs will not have any cash, but carbon credits are a valuable world currency that never expires. Plant those trees now!

Younger looters taste better. Older ones are tough and stringy.
Beautiful!

I've been thinking about our water situation. A deep well hand pump might be in order since even a short hike for water is a pain.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #35
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
If you load your own ammunition and cast your own bullets, you can cast them in gold rather than from molten lead. That way your gold makes the weight cut since it can also be used as ammo in defense of your own life; or, to put game on the table. Those who can't afford gold can go the Lone Ranger route.
I can't actually afford gold.

The things we think of when we are bored.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #36
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Couldn't you just keep a couple of tanks of hydrogen and a tank of oxygen around and brew your own?

Just wondering.

RE: the water issue, not the gold.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

Ah, I thought you had some alchemy knowledge you were not sharing.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #38
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I agree with everything UT wrote except for one glaring inaccuracy: red Bic's aren't considered the unlucky ones. I know which color is and I'm withholding that information as part of my Survival Plan.

Also: I call dibs on Dwight Schrute as Apocolypse Buddy.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #39
glatt

If I had money to burn, I'd install a big cistern in our back yard. We get plenty of rain it could gather, but the nearest water to our house is in a small polluted stream 8 blocks away. We have bleach to make it potable, if yucky tasting.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #40
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
SURVIVAL PROTIPS

Bears always go for the people carrying 75lbs of extra fat on them and smell like tortillas...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #41
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
If I had money to burn, I'd install a big cistern in our back yard. We get plenty of rain it could gather, but the nearest water to our house is in a small polluted stream 8 blocks away. We have bleach to make it potable, if yucky tasting.
Ha! We're lucky, we have a spring right in our basement...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #42
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Don't forget the water stored in the toilet tanks (assuming they're not totally smashed in the disaster.) That's good drinking, right there.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #43
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

My dogs agree.
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
A bucket of it will flush the toilet, however.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #45
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

I'm investing in still, it makes potable water and booze

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote