The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

July 21st cover of the new yorker

Yes I get the point, but I think it was a stupid idea anyway. That picture is going to stick with the average Joe long after the point is lost.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Seriously? Sheesh.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Obama campaign: "Tasteless and offensive"

McCain campaign: "Agree completely"

Did anyone else here listen to the piece on... hm... Marketplace? something like that... it was an interview with Latinas for McCain in Nevada (or some such...) and one of the interviewees was so apoplectic about Obama's Muslim-ness that the producers of the story felt it necessary to cut the story and interject a narrator/reporter voice saying "...for the record, Obama is a Christian..." And then the reporter challenged the woman, and she just rolled right past his correction as if he had suggested the Tooth Fairy was real. She was POS-I-TIVE.

There are some people for whom this is not satire, but breaking news investigative journalism. And regardless of how few of them vote, ALL of them talk.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Obama campaign: "Tasteless and offensive"

McCain campaign: "Agree completely"

Did anyone else here listen to the piece on... hm... Marketplace? something like that... it was an interview with Latinas for McCain in Nevada (or some such...) and one of the interviewees was so apoplectic about Obama's Muslim-ness that the producers of the story felt it necessary to cut the story and interject a narrator/reporter voice saying "...for the record, Obama is a Christian..." And then the reporter challenged the woman, and she just rolled right past his correction as if he had suggested the Tooth Fairy was real. She was POS-I-TIVE.

There are some people for whom this is not satire, but breaking news investigative journalism. And regardless of how few of them vote, ALL of them talk.
Yea, I heard it. I am an NPR junkie. I have even had to correct more than a few local red-necks that the bit about him being Muslim is false and was most likely started by some hard core religious right conservatives when the debates first started and the group was bigger, because that story has been around for quite a while.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
TheMercenary

I am still not completely sure why they put that picture on the cover of such a major publication. There is a lot of questions being asked about a number of the issues raised as detailed by many different aspects of that picture.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Ostensibly to mock, to satirize. But I think the net effect will be to inflame.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
TheMercenary

Michelle has a good point.

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/07/14...elated_content
Old 07-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I think Obama's plenty "man enough". There's no cognitive dissonance for *me* to find the cartoon tasteless and offensive, and to consider him (public figure or otherwise) "man enough". I wonder if her tut-tutting of those who find these remarks tasteless and offensive, her implication that those who complain need to "grow some [balls]" includes McCain? He is on record as finding the cartoon objectionable.

I'm not a mental-recession-whiner-American. I have grown a pair. I find the cartoon stupid and offensive and I am man enough to complain about it, and if Ms Malkin objects to that, she can kiss my ass in the county square.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
TheMercenary

I find it hard to believe that she is complaining about it as much as pointing out the obvious duplicity of people who are complaining about it as tasteless and offensive.

Are you "man enough" to admit that the examples she posted of Bush, Rice, and McCain are equally offensive if not much more offensive than the one on the cover of the New Yorker?

edit: what is with all the Man Enough and Grow Some Balls talk anyway. Are you doubting your manliness?

Last edited by TheMercenary; 07-14-2008 at 02:37 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

What's her point, mercy? *That* is her point? That those who find it tasteless and offensive are hypocrites? May I fairly conclude that you share that position, since you brought it up and called it a "good point"?

You're suggesting that since I find it tasteless and offensive I'm a hypocrite?

Yes, those other cartoons are tasteless and offensive. There are LOADS of crap out there that I find objectionable, but don't waste my time whining about. Furthermore, one tasteless cartoon does not in any way justify another one. Yep, they're all crap. So what?

wrt "man enough" and "grow some balls", for pete's sake, mercy. Did you not read the TITLE of the column you linked to? "Grow a pair, Obama". Come to class, 'k?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
TheMercenary

Yea, I find people who are getting all upset about it as often failing to call BS on equally offensive things that have been posted about McCain and Bush to be hypocrites. (And don't get me wrong, I don't like Bush). Maybe not you specifically, but all the hoopla over it is stupid. Is it because he is the first black man? Is it because they are picking on his somewhat militant wife? Is it satire or is it reflecting current perceptions which the mainstream electorate believe? I am not whining about it, just discussing. I agree, they are all crap. Please don't get all offended and take it personal, I was just wondering what you were thinking.

Sure I read it the title. But I did not take it literally to mean that he neither had any to begin with or that the reader felt like they should grow some. I think Obama has already shown that he has some pretty big balls to step up to the plate and run for President.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
snip--Please don't get all offended and take it personal, I was just wondering what you were thinking.
None taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Sure I read it the title. But I did not take it literally to mean that he neither had any to begin with or that the reader felt like they should grow some. I think Obama has already shown that he has some pretty big balls to step up to the plate and run for President.
Here we disagree a little bit, perhaps just in semantics. I don't think you need balls to run for President, I think you need to be nuts.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Here we disagree a little bit, perhaps just in semantics. I don't think you need balls to run for President, I think you need to be nuts.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

That's a hall o' fame quote if I ever saw one!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Malkin is nothing but a clueless harpy,in the truest literal sense.

The only use I have for her mouth has nothing to do with speaking.

And when I saw the cover I took it to be a satire of the republican view of Barak and Michelle.