The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #16
lookout123
changed his status to single

You were arrested by some national guard troops? This I just gotta hear. Molested I'll buy, but arrested?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday View Post
To put it another way, how would you feel if the UN had a military presence in Texas?
I have no problem with that. Would they have stopped W from being our pres... our presid.... I can't say it.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
Rhianne
Nearly done.

You're mocking Lookout. Me or the peacekeepers? It's true they didn't seem to be the most organised of soldiers but when someone in a uniform points a gun at you you still do what they say.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
lookout123
changed his status to single

I actually wasn't mocking. How did you find yourself being arrested by NG troops?
Old 05-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Rhianne
Nearly done.

We were making a TV documentary, they turned up (we were there first) and didn't like being filmed. We were split up into groups of locals and foreigners (I was put into the wrong group) except for the one American in our team who was almost immediately released (he couldn't actually go anywhere - we were in the middle of the desert and he couldn't drive).

We were told later, and I'm not sure if it's true or not, that this was a standard practice. The peacekeepers were supposed to attend any disturbances in or around the towns and villages but these often involved guns so they would find themselves 'unavoidably detained' en route so they would turn up late for the gun fight. It does sound unlikely to me.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #21
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Obama's plan for returning to pre-1967 borders is brilliant. Sure, those the expanded borders were the result of a failed attempt by Israel's neighbors to wipe the country off the map, but "hey there little country surrounded by people who want you all dead... it's your fault for existing in the first place".

He took "great pains" to speak to encourage Israel but at the same time took a swipe at something most in that nation consider to be non-negotiable. Obama has made it clear since taking office that his support for Israel is not as set in stone as it was with previous presidents, but I think this really screws them over.
Good post. He totally butt fucked the Israeli's. But hey at least now the Jewish Lobby in the US knows where he stands on the issue. But they really are a small part of the Demoncratic electorate. Thank God they have little power in US politics.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #22
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Obama's plan for returning to pre-1967 borders is brilliant.

Quote:
U.S aggression has forced Mexicans into a life of hopelessness, drugs and under employment.

Netanyahu Urges U.S. Return to 1845 Borders

Israeli PM calls for “just solution” to end the conflict.

Aboard Air Force Aleph (Reuters) – Speaking to reporters accompanying Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on his long flight to the United States tonight, Netanyahu spoke of the injustice and hardship Mexicans have endured since American forces annexed Texas in 1845. “Tens of thousands of ordinary Mexicans were driven out of their homes – the only homes they had known for centuries – and forced to live in poverty and squalor south of the border imposed by American aggression,” Netanyahu said. “The Israeli and Mexican people agree on this: This festering wound will never heal until America takes bold steps to return to the internationally accepted lines of 1845. Clearly the settlement activity that’s taken place in occupied Mexico since then is illegal. When I meet the President tomorrow I will tell him to halt all building activity in Texas immediately. Two lands for two peoples, yes, but not on land taken by force from Mexico,” the Prime Minister said.

Asked if his hard-line stance could hurt the U.S.-Israel relationship, Netanyahu reiterated Israel’s commitment to America’s security and the unshakable friendship shared by the two countries, then added, “But who was it who said, part of friendship is being able to tell your friend the truth. The ball is now in Obama’s court.”
Thought this was kind of amusing.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #23
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Exclamation

The Onion thread is over there ----------------->

Now.

Only the deliberately stupid continue to insist on referring to the fabrication "Obama's plan for returning to the pre-1967 borders". He didn't say that. Even PM Netanyahu doesn't make such a transparently false claim. In fact, he quoted Obama and then expressed agreement with him in his address to Congress this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu
Now, the precise delineation of those borders must be negotiated. We’ll be generous about the size of the future Palestinian state. But as President Obama said, the border will be different than the one that existed on June 4th, 1967. Israel will not return to the indefensible boundaries of 1967.
Please stop spreading lies.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #24
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Amusing - joke - funny hahaha.
It wasn't meant to be serious.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #25
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Amusing - joke - funny hahaha.
It wasn't meant to be serious.
Well, then, har har har. There are others though on whom the humor is, shall we say, lost. You were the third person in two posts to call it that. I don't find it funny, I find it frustrating and sad.