The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I know everyone had so many good words of wisdom.

I like these responses just because they are natural ways to cultivate child development.

As far as diagnosis, experts and public schools they need to get back to the basics. These kids were just fine in school 50 years ago before diagnosis and boxing kids in became some kind of a crusade.

That might seem strange for a special education provider to say but I do believe that kids with normal/high intelligence should just be let free a little more. I hope the current trends in school change alot for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
having read all the other responses,

Normal is over rated, maybe you could get a diagnosis of some such, many of us could. I played with him, he seemed OK, he put his toys back in place when I moved them, but he didn't have a fit about it, we built some block towers too.

Cabin fever. It sounds like he's bursting at the seams and needs to get out and do stuff , with other kids. Anybody who knows our kids schedules, swimming, soccer, gymnastics, hockey etc. etc.
At that age I think there was a baby tumbling thing, and swimming of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Yeah, I signed him up for one of those baby tumbling classes, at The Little Gym. He enjoys it, but its primary benefit for him has been learning to take turns, stop playing with one item and move onto the next even if he's not ready, etc. It's been good, but for the money I don't think I'll do it again.
Learning how to take turns and knowing when to stop an activity even when not ready is so valuable. Why not work on those skills now because the public schools will so be ready to. I would, if possible go mainstream classroom if possible espicially if he is a bright kid and it seems he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
the difference between the inflatable place and a gym class is that in the class he sees the same kids again and again and gets to make friends. There's no social aspect to the bouncy place, other than fleeting interactions with strangers. Try to find a playgroup of some sort. if you go regularly to the bouncy place at the same time, you might well find yourself hooking up with other moms with kids the same age and your kids might even play nicely together. Sometimes. This is how our playgroup got started and we (moms)still meet weekly, even though the youngest is now in second grade.
There kind of balance in parenting is so important for development. There should be more of it. More people who see the potential of a kid and let them develop in the most natural way possible. I wish I had been this kind of parent or had someone like them around because there is so much wisdom in what they say. I think. Perhaps a new trend in diagnosis and treating in coming.

Anyway, clod. You will be fine and your son too. Just be happy and play alot and make play a learning experience

Last edited by skysidhe; 01-18-2009 at 10:30 AM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autism, food intolerance