The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

Terrier Breeds

Anyone know what breed the Terrier is that's in Pet smart commercial?
My rat terrier is close to 14, plus I'm getting up there also. Might need a replacement for one of us someday.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
busterb
NSABFD

PetSmart generally uses dogs from our adoption partners in their
commercials. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing the breed of dog
in that commercial.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If you mean the senior dog that gets pushed around in the shopping cart (just saw it today) and gets pushed around past a young yellow lab and a dal ... I think it looked like a rough coated Jack Russell.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I don't know what kind of dog that is in the commercial. I do suggest you visit the local animal shelters and find a dog that you like from there. Keep your mind open on breed, think more about personality/size. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
busterb
NSABFD

Thanks wolf. I believe it's either a rough coated or broken coat Jack Russell. In add it looks a bit large for one though. MTP. I have a yard dog from shelter.
Not much choice around here.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I thought the basket looked smaller than the regular supermarket kind.

If the television adds ten inches, or whatever it's supposed to do, then it's a Jack. Otherwise, perhaps a wire-haired fox terrier, but clipped close instead of show cut?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Jack Russell.

When did they start calling them Parson Jack Russells?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Jack Russels are high energy dogs. Very good dogs, but too high energy for me. They're cuter than snot, though.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
be-bop
Operations Operative

I know I'm biased as i have one but if you are into terriers try a Border Terrier not as psycho as a Jack Russell but as brave and loyal as they come who could not love this face
Attached Images

be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
Shawnee123

Oh my word, how freaking cute.

Of course, I'm partial to Irish Wolfhounds. They have a terrier face...they're just really huge! They are not terriers...but those faces!
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
I know I'm biased as i have one but if you are into terriers try a Border Terrier not as psycho as a Jack Russell but as brave and loyal as they come who could not love this face
Thanks. Do they have to be trimmed, clipped, or whatever?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

They're called Parson Jack Russells over here. Don't know how long that's been the case, but it was so when I was dog hunting about 11 years ago.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Our dog was a Jack Russell/ Collie cross.
We got her from a local farm.

She could run all day, and in the summer holidays she often did.

Sadly, my brother chose her because she was the runt of the litter, and consequently the least forward (we were getting a dog because he was very afraid of them and my Mum feared it might affect his life - he would cry if one came near him). She was much loved, but had heart problems and diabetes and in the end had to be put down. Mum is sure this is because she was half the size of the other dogs which was probably a sign that she didn't receive proper nutrition in the womb.

Anyway, just an aside. She was a lovely dog and well suited to our family. And my brother, although he is very much a cat person like me, no longer cries when apporached by a dog.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #14
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
The Parson Russell Terrier was recognized by the UK Kennel Club in 1990, followed by Australia and FCI countries, then American Kennel Club in 2001, as Parson Jack Russell Terrier and then in the USA as the Jack Russell Terrier, Because the name Parson Jack Russell was registered in the USA by a person who did not wish to relenquish their trade mark, the Kennel Clubs of the world had to "re-badge" the PJRT to PRT to accommodate this problem. So now the taller type of Russell is a Parson Russell (over 12") and the shorter version is a Jack Russell (10-12").

The Parson Russell Terrier is descended from early white-bodied foxing terriers used in the hunt field. At the end of the 19th Century, these dogs were drawn into the Kennel Club as "fox terriers," but their still-working antecedents were referred to as "Jack Russell" terriers throughout the 20th Century, in honor of the Rev. John "Jack" Russell, a noted fox hunter of the 19th Century "The Sporting Parson".

In time, Kennel Club Fox Terriers and working Jack Russell Terriers looked completely different, with fox terriers growing both larger in the chest and also having longer heads.

The name was changed to "Parson Russell" Terrier for the American Kennel Club because of a compromise with the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America. The rest of the world recognises Jack Russell and Parson Russell as 2 separate breeds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parson_Russell_Terrier
Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
They're called Parson Jack Russells over here. Don't know how long that's been the case, but it was so when I was dog hunting about 11 years ago.
Did you shoot one?

Tags
dog