The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 10-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
binky
all hollowed out

Just eyeliner, because that is all she asked for. I think what got her on to eyeliner is this friend she has (her "idol"), who I think is a little snotty brat. Thye only hang out together at school, because I don't want her to see this girl outside of classes. There are family issues with this girl, and she was outright rude to me at a schol function. I want her to be able to express herself, and the eyeliner seems pretty mild, compared to the homemade tattoo abovementioned friend has apparently done. I will also allow some streaks in her hair, although affording it right now is tough. Like Juniper's daughter she is blonde and pale, so any makeup at all is magnified, but she is in band, an art club, and getting good grades. So that is why I am inclined to let this slide.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #17
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Everyone knows that eyeliner is gateway makeup. heh..jk. People usually work their way up to the eyeliner.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Is it liquid eyeliner? I have never been able to master its application (always look freakish) and instead use the pencil type.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
binky
all hollowed out

LOL Cic. Yes it is liquid, thus her (IMO) freakish appearance. I have never been a makeup wearer, so maybe that is why I feel that way though.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #20
monster
I hear them call the tide

why not suggest that she try a nice soft pencil?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:30 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasenuak View Post
But at the same time she needs to realize that HAVING that look groups her in with a certain type of person... the cutters, druggies, dropouts, whatever. So what she needs to decide is if that image and that association is what she wants to convey with her makeup choices. My two cents... hope it helps.
I wonder what the effect is, when teachers associate her with cutters/druggies/dropouts group? Less inclined to help? Less likely to extend the benefit of the doubt? More critical of assignments? Lower grades?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #22
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I never wore makeup at school, and no one else did either from what I can remember. I know girls do now though, but 11/12 is still primary school here and I doubt there's any schools that would allow it for starters. I don't think it's appropriate either.

In fact, I don't think girls should wear makeup until they're prepared to pay for it themselves and even then I don't see why you'd wear it to school, particularly if you're involved in sports.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #23
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Tell her it will give her pimples.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

My daughter just turned 13 and she isn't allowed to wear makeup at all in public. The only exception is when she takes pictures of herself and her friends at home...she's a prolific photographer.

She came home from school one day with eyeliner on and first I had a fit, then her 20yr old brother had one. The 'fit' was along the lines of...be yourself, you're beautiful without any gunk, don't rush into putting tons of stuff on, it's a real pain (not to mention, expensive). She hasn't done it since.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #25
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
She hasn't done it since.
Heh. lol!!! Bwuahahhaaa!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #26
Griff
still says videotape

Mine are 12 and 14, no makeup yet. I'm a big fan of kids staying kids.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #27
SquidGirl
Colloquialist

One of my friends mothers said, "only ugly girls have to wear makeup" which I thought was GREAT and I think influenced a couple of us! If you have beauty, you only need to 'enhance' it. My daughter is way too little so this thread is definitely getting me to think. I know my aunt intro'd me to makeup around 12-13. She helped me with it so my advice is...take her to the mall, take a friend approach of makeup styles and fads...buy her some colors you think look good on her to enhance her beauty. By being there and taking that approach it will make her 1) come to you more often about such things 2) listen to you more and 3) tone it down because of your direct involvement/purchase of what she's wearing. Then again, she might get irritated with your involvement and just put it on at school I just know that when I dove into my aunts makeup (my mom doesn't wear any) I did it WITH her which really made a difference. My daughter wants me to put makeup on her (2 y.o.) just because she is mimicking me...so, I find a clear aloe stick and she thinks she's getting dolled up.

When in doubt - remember they go through phases. Heck, I still do...until I realize I look like an ass and then change it up again (essentially moving onto another phase). She may do the same....
SquidGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 AM   #28
Juniper
I know, right?

When I was 12-13 I started wearing makeup - just some eyeshadow and blush. One of my friends wanted to wear makeup too but her mom kept saying no. Finally the mom caved in and said she'd let her wear makeup IF she let me teach her how to wear it - her mom liked the way I did mine.

Which is weird because most of my friends' moms didn't approve of much of anything I did.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #29
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I wore a little makeup when I was 12. There was a girl in my class who looked a lot like me in 6th grade and she wore a lot of makeup. Once at a Christmas play or something, my dad saw her on stage and thought she was me. He got really upset at my mom because he thought I had way too much makeup on.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote