The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

The Breakfast Club

I happened upon this on youtube after trying to research the Brat Pack after Griff said Pete thinks Andrew McCarthy and James Spader are the same person.

The Brat Pack has many different connotations...and Rob Lowe, Andrew McC, and James Spader are not in the Breakfast Club. It might be worthy to note that Rob Lowe (a local, bless him) and Spader have enjoyed some acting gigs way after St Elmo's and Pretty in Pink etc and so on.

I mean, Boston Legal? Hello?

But this vid is all about John Hughes and The Breakfast Club. I enjoyed the walk down memory lane. It's long but I found it entertaining.

"The chick can't hold the smoke...that's what it is."

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I blame Alley Sheedy (spelling?) for me drinking vodka to be interesting.

I didn't even get the drugs ref (ahem, pivotal plot point) til years later. A post-prandial stoned rewatch. As a double bill with The Lost Boys it was a revelation.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Claire or Allison? It's kinda like the next generation Ginger or Mary Ann?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OMG fine insight sir, most certainly.

But without the force of a baby boom population bump to push it into popular culture, that very great and important question did not get asked.

One supposes the question would also now be asked: bad boy Bender, jock Andrew, or geek Brian? My own choice, if I was gay, would be janitor Carl.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh yeah and it would have to be Claire. Not that she'd have any interest in me. Allison has a great amount of charm and I believe her hygiene issues can be solved. But Claire is goal-oriented, and knows what she's doing because she has read up on the task.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Are you sure it's not just that Claire is a virgin?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
One supposes the question would also now be asked: bad boy Bender, jock Andrew, or geek Brian? My own choice, if I was gay, would be janitor Carl.
Oh yes, from that movie I'd have to go with janitor Carl all the way. But frankly, I'd prefer a different set; Breakfast Club wasn't so iconic for me. Can't think yet of a better choice, though.

Today's young ladies are all about Sam vs. Dean. (I'd put down money, for example, that glatt's daughter is Team Sam all the way.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Today's young ladies are all about Sam vs. Dean. (I'd put down money, for example, that glatt's daughter is Team Sam all the way.)

Well you're right that today's young ladies are all about those two. My daughter lit up when I asked her "Sam or Dean?" Turns out she is torn. At first she was all about Sam, but now in season 10, she's coming around to Dean. I know for a fact that she's only been watching for about a year, but she's all caught up. Dean's the man for her today.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

As the video points out, one would be hard-pressed to find something from any era that resonates its iconic goodness with such force and over such a long period of time, as The Breakfast Club did.

Yeah yeah, don't invoke The Brady Bunch or Gilligan's Island. We still talk about them, my nieces have even watched them. It's not the same thing. What The Breakfast Club did, maybe without even knowing it, was catch the 'pulse' of teenhood high schoolishness that actually translates to multiple generations.

To paraphrase: You see it as you want to see it... In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. But what they found out is that each one of them is a brain...and an athlete...and a basket case...a princess...and a criminal.

It doesn't mention that any of them is a wampire or a ghostbuster or even a zombie.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote