The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #1591
monster
I hear them call the tide

I just watched The Story Of Luke on Netflix.

I cried.

a little.

go figure.

never heard of it before but apparently it's IMDB rating is 7.3 so I guess I'm not alone.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #1592
glatt

MY wife got us started watching Friday Night Lights about a month ago. I remember when this was on TV. I'd flip by and it looked stupid. But it's not so bad. We're half way through season 5 of 6. Like so many drama TV series, it's just a well done prime time soap opera.

I like the idea of finding an old show and doing a marathon viewing for a few weeks.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #1593
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Ender's Game was far better than I expected, even if the kids were too old.

Riddick. Oh yeah!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #1594
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Finished streaming all of Inspector Lewis.

Wish all of Inspector Morse was available for prime/netflix.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #1595
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
MY wife got us started watching Friday Night Lights about a month ago. I remember when this was on TV. I'd flip by and it looked stupid. But it's not so bad. We're half way through season 5 of 6. Like so many drama TV series, it's just a well done prime time soap opera.

I like the idea of finding an old show and doing a marathon viewing for a few weeks.
Agreed. That's what I did with Breaking Bad, and up to current Walking Dead. You have to be careful of accidentally hearing spoilers though. I've also watched Six Feet Under and Sopranos all the way through on DVD, though I'd seen all but the last season of Sopranos when it was on HBO.

So, in light of that, I just finished the first season of The Wire. It is really good, as I'd heard, but I initially had a hard time keeping all the players straight and figuring out the meaning of a lot of the lingo,of both the drug dealers and the cops. Looking forward to Season 2 though, I'm pretty into it now.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #1596
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh I really loved series 1 of the Wire. I fell off it during series 2 though. Might go back and rewatch!

You know the actor who plays McNulty is English right? Also Stringer Bell.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #1597
glatt

The Wire is interesting because it jumps around Baltimore telling the same grand story from different points of view in the city, finally bringing it all together in the final season.

I think season 2 is the one that takes place down at the docks. It's an abrupt change, but stay with it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #1598
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Sat in on "Lone Survivor" the other night. I think Wahlberg spends about ⅝ of the movie in mid-air, falling. And another ⅛ bouncing off rocks/cliffs he has just fallen onto.

All in all, I give it a 6 out of 10.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #1599
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Oh I really loved series 1 of the Wire. I fell off it during series 2 though. Might go back and rewatch!

You know the actor who plays McNulty is English right? Also Stringer Bell.
And they're both GORGEOUS! Dominic West has that sumpin' sumpin' je ne sais quoi thing that makes me say "well, hello there!"

I knew they had referred to McNulty as Irish in the first ep. I wasn't sure his nationality because he's got the dark hair and eyes.

Two of the actors were in Oz, too. Seth Gilliam (Ellis Carver on The Wire) played the rogue guard Clayton Hughes, and J.D. Williams (Bodie on The Wire) played inmate Kenny "Bricks" Wangler. Great acting.

Quote:
The Wire is interesting because it jumps around Baltimore telling the same grand story from different points of view in the city, finally bringing it all together in the final season.

I think season 2 is the one that takes place down at the docks. It's an abrupt change, but stay with it.
Yes, I saw on the back of the season 2 box that McNulty is now on Harbor Patrol. When I took it up to pay for it, the young man working said "YEAH!" and I told him I'd just seen the first season and I was loving it. He said it's one of his favorites, that not enough people see it, and he thinks the 2nd season is the best.

I told him "I kind of live for this stuff" and he says "I know, right?" I love the young folks. I could be one, if it weren't for my age.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #1600
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
snip--

one of the best things about Netflix and Roku, binge viewing. They know it too:

Name:  roku full season billboard.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  125.3 KB
Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #1601
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I can't remember what season it is, but there's an episode where McNulty goes "undercover" with a Brit accent, and they all tell him it's terrible and completely unbelievable. Funny stuff.

We just watched episode 1 of Sherlock season 3 tonight. Excellent.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #1602
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I wasn't sure his nationality because he's got the dark hair and eyes.
That's racist. Or nationalist. Or nationist. It's somethingist, I know that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I love the young folks. I could be one, if it weren't for my age.
You had your chance.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #1603
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Watched the new 'Robocop' the other night. 5 outta 10.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #1604
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Watched the new 'Robocop' the other night. 5 outta 10.
Given that the original was 10/10 for me, I'm not surprised.

I watched Thor Dark World. Not bad.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #1605
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Dear netflix,

"Are All Men Pedophiles?" is really, really creepy. It's like an hour long PSA for pedophiles.

Tags
movies